Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 08:52 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times

Advertisements

Time to learn about mesothelioma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 10:15 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Millions of people lived after being exposed to asbestos in residential buildings. Chronic, occupational exposure is the main danger to people. What you have is more comparable to occasionally spending time in a smoky bar. Better to be avoided, but unlikely to cause serious health issues in individuals that don't already have respiratory conditions.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:08 AM

Killer dust | Mosaic

Old 11-25-2014, 04:16 PM

10 posts, read 24,851 times
A lot of people keep telling me it's nothing to worry about the exposure was most likely minimal and to move on. Some people are telling me that no exposure is safe and people develop mesothelioma with just a one time or minimal exposure. I don't know what to think. All I know is I don't feel safe anymore. I feel as if my family has been put in harms way cause of one persons idiotic mistake. I'm angry anxious stressed all of the above. I just wish someone would give me a straight forward answer. I appreciate all the help that has been given to me but I feel like I'm in hole I can't get out of. I don't have enough money to move out right now christmas is here. I feel helpless right now and now this asbestos thing just is really testing my will. Sorry guys. Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:23 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
You are wasting energy worrying about the unknown.
Until the test results come back, chill.
Worry changes nothing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB0450 View Post
Some people are telling me that no exposure is safe and people develop mesothelioma with just a one time or minimal exposure.
Who told you that?

Old 11-25-2014, 04:31 PM

Well that link that was posted states that. Also some of the other stuff I have read that it's becoming more prevalent in teachers and nurses and people who have been exposed to it in their homes. I know I should wait for the results. But if you can see this stuff it's almost a certainty it's asbestos the tests will just confirm it.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:40 PM

All Asbestos Kills!

Old 11-25-2014, 04:46 PM

Davebarnes am I suppose to accept the fact that My family and I will develop mesothelioma or is there a chance that we won't considering the "minimal" exposure?

Old 11-25-2014, 05:17 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB0450 View Post
Davebarnes am I suppose to accept the fact that My family and I will develop mesothelioma or is there a chance that we won't considering the "minimal" exposure?
Davebarnes is hardly posting impartial links on this.

Yes, asbestos exposure is risky, and yes, mesothelioma is a scary disease. But neither of those is reason to go off half cocked and believe every sensational scare story you read.

If your pipe insulation is asbestos, it is most likely chrysotile, which was the most commonly used variety in the USA due to being readily available here. While chrysotile is not safe for exposure, it is also not thought to be as problematic as amosite or crocidolite. I've read that chrysotile often does contain varying amounts of the more harmful asbestos, though I've not verified that claim. That could account for it's "not so bad but still bad" reputation.

The bottom line is wait for the test and go from there. Davebarnes is just irresponsibly working you into a lather for reasons known only to himself. If that insulation is asbestos, you may want to panic then (I wouldn't, but you might), but there is absolutely no good to come of it at this point.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
Yeah, a lot of the links posted are pure BS and hype. I know quite a few folks that handled asbestos for decades and have no health issues. Some are dying from cardiac issues and some are dying of old age but not one has any kind of cancer. Most are in their 70's and 80's. If you have concern that there is asbestos, encapsulate it. All you need is several spray cans of cheap spray paint. The cheaper the better as the carrier in the paint will seal/stick/glue any loose particles. If it makes you happy, wear a filter mask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House