Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:49 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,068,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Wikipedia gives a range of 100C to 260C, and I suspect that the drain pipe manufacturers have anticipated this problem and formulated their plastic to be in the higher end of that range, well above the boiling point for water (100C at sea level of course). These products are often used for kitchen drains, and are quite likely to see boiling water temperatures - manufacturers know this very well.

I can only speculate, but I would guess the author of your linked article did not pay attention to C vs. F -- 176 Celsius strikes me as about right for run of the mill PVC drain pipe.

Polyvinyl chloride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
....Don't speculate....176 C equals 348.8 F....In your "speculation" there would be no need for CPVC for running hot water....

From a different chart....

PVC - Polyvinyl Chloride
  • strong and rigid
  • resistant to a variety of acids and bases
  • may be damaged by some solvents and chlorinated hydrocarbons
  • maximum usable temperature 140F (60C)
  • usable for water, gas and drainage systems
  • not useable in hot water systems
CPVC - Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride
  • similar to PVC - but designed for water up to approx. 180F (82C)
PVC and CPVC Pipes - Schedule 40 & 80

Temperature Limitations

Last edited by Bones; 12-08-2014 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 08:12 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
Be careful with that. If you try that in the sink you will see a chemical reaction. The sizzle could damage the porcelain.
LMAO. This "sizzle" yields carbon dioxide and a solution of sodium acetate - which is used as a concrete sealant, among other things.

Now vinegar alone, a very mild acid, could damage porcelain if it sits long enough. But in this case, you're not soaking your sink in vinegar, and the addition of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) neutralizes the acetic acid (vinegar). The hot water flush takes care of the remaining sodium acetate solution.

NaHCO3(s) + CH3COOH(l) → CO2(g) + H2O(l) + Na+(aq) + CH3COO-(aq)

Old 12-09-2014, 08:25 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
....Don't speculate....176 C equals 348.8 F....In your "speculation" there would be no need for CPVC for running hot water....

From a different chart....

PVC - Polyvinyl Chloride
  • strong and rigid
  • resistant to a variety of acids and bases
  • may be damaged by some solvents and chlorinated hydrocarbons
  • maximum usable temperature 140F (60C)
  • usable for water, gas and drainage systems
  • not useable in hot water systems
CPVC - Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride
  • similar to PVC - but designed for water up to approx. 180F (82C)
PVC and CPVC Pipes - Schedule 40 & 80

Temperature Limitations

Let me be perfectly clear. I was speculating about how your author got her numbers backwards - NOT about the physical properties of the material.

The data to which you have linked is specifically intended for pressure pipe - not drain pipe. There is a difference between the two both in how the plastic will behave under temperature loading and in the duration of the temperature loading. Furthermore, the listed working temperature is categorically not a material properties figure - it is a lawyered up, we'll not get sued kind of figure. PVC is well known to not melt below 100 C.

Do you really mean to tell me that PVC drain pipe manufacturers expect you to cool your pasta water to 140 F before dumping it down the drain? Manufacturers know very well how their products will be used. If dumping boiling water down a PVC trap were going to melt it at atmospheric pressure, they would not be selling said traps and fittings because they would have had to replace numerous cabinets on liability claims already.

Personally, I have not and will not advocate dumping boiling water down the drain to clear clogs - steaming water will do just fine. However, neither am I going to go along with this too cautious by half thinking that is in clear contradiction to the real material data. Bottom line, boiling water is not likely to damage your drains, because the temperature spike is of short duration and at atmospheric pressure.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:38 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
We often have black sludge in our bathroom sink drain. It is pretty gross. Is that soap/shaving cream build up? We don't have it in other, less frequently used, bathrooms.
That's a nice stew of soap and dirt (mostly skin) and shaving cream and whatever, along with the things (mold + bacteria) living on it. Like you said, pretty gross.

As for PVC, 140 degrees F is the highest _continuous_ operating temperature. You can pour a few gallons of almost-boiling hot water down there safely.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:19 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,026 times
To add to and its somewhat related, for clogged toilets usually due to toiler paper or a tampon maybe, put dishwashing liquid soap in there. A few hours later you will hear it big whoosh sound like a jet engine as the soap loosens things up and the pressure takes the debris away relieving the clogged toilet drain. You can also pour really hot water in to force it after letting the dishwashing liquid seep in. I've tried this many times without fail. A plumber suggested it as a non toxic chemical way to handle things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House