Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:03 PM

84 posts, read 200,327 times

Advertisements

From what I can tell, it doesn't look treated.....has some dark areas from previous water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 06:19 AM

84 posts, read 200,327 times
On most of the walls I am finishing, I can slip the rigid foam board against the foundation. I have decided to do that. There is one wall where the rigid board will not fit behind the studs. Would it be OK if I filled in the stud cavities with the rigid foam board? I would then finish with drywall. Thanks for everyone's help again.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:34 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1mbo01 View Post
On most of the walls I am finishing, I can slip the rigid foam board against the foundation.
If true then it isn't in against the wall tight enough.

Quote:
There is one wall where the rigid board will not fit behind the studs.
Would it be OK if I filled in the stud cavities with the rigid foam board?
As previously suggested...
either use spray-in for the WHOLE job or demo the walls and rebuild after insulation.

Rigid XPS on the exterior wall (and properly glued/sealed etc).
Roxul batts in the framing (after wiring and plumbing.
Don't forget to seal/insulate at the band board/sill too.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:19 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Would it be OK if I filled in the stud cavities with the rigid foam board?
Yes. But, you won't have a continuous vapor barrier. Which in this case is probably MORE important than the insulation itself. Savvy?

Old 12-29-2014, 08:15 AM

336 posts, read 591,987 times
For rigid foam board, how would one wire for an electrical outlet?

Old 12-29-2014, 10:09 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panu16 View Post
For rigid foam board, how would one wire for an electrical outlet?
The same as with any other wall.. inside the framing.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:50 PM

266 posts, read 450,001 times
Quote:
I am planning on finishing my basement. The exterior walls are currently framed and filled with fiberglass insulation that is right up against my poured concrete foundation. I am going to remove the existing insulation, but am wondering how I should insulate the existing stud wall, which is about an inch to 1/2 inch inward of the foundation.

The first option is to remove the studs and framing and insulate the wall with 2" rigid foam board, and then rebuild the wall. I do not want to this is if possible, but will if there are no other options.

Are there any other options that would allow me to keep the existing framing?

The basement is fairly dry and the walls are waterproofed. There is a sump pump that comes on about twice a year when we have really heavy rains or snowmelt.
Any time fiberglass get moist or damp its original R-value is los forever. Period! I recommend removing the fiberglass and install closed sell foam or any varying type. Keep your stud frame. apply and finish.

Hope this helps..

Feel free to research open vs. closed cell foams. Also US Dept Of Energy has done extensive reporting on fiberglass insulation. a few % points of moisture can degrade performance up to 35% of the original R. Original R is estimated at about R 3.1 per inch thickness nominal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House