Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 01:49 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times

Advertisements

The following is a rendering I came up with just playing around in Sketchup-basically it's an addition on the back half of the house that cantilevers a bit (2') and raises the roof height above current level to provide living space-right now the house is a simple one floor rectangle-it's pretty obvious where the old and new rooflines are:

I'm not even sure what you would call this type of roof-it's sort of a shed dormer, but since it rises above the ridge I'm not sure it could be considered a dormer at all. This would be a very simple addition-two bedrooms and one bathroom with a staircase roughly in the center. It would require a minimum amount of modification to the main floor and would locate the new upstairs bathroom directly over the existing one for the most economical plumbing. The reason that only half the roof is torn off and added onto is because moving the addition forward of the ridge line/centerline of the house would require moving all of the ductwork in the attic. Here's a side view:

Any thoughts? In theory I like the windows up high and the high ceilings in general, but I've only really seen rooflines like this on vacation homes, etc...I'll have to drive around my neighborhood to see if there's anything I can compare it to. I live in an older (1950s-1970s) development so many of the homes have been modified beyond their original form, some quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 01:54 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
First questions: Do you have roof trusses or are there separate rafters and ceiling joists? If separate rafters and ceiling joists, what is the size of the joist?

Old 12-15-2014, 01:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I don't like that. If there is truly nothing like it in your area it's going to stick out like a sore thumb and look even more odd than the rendering. Surely there are additions somewhere that you can see which don't seem to be just "stuck on" the top of the house.

Simple additions need some complex planning to look good.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:04 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
First questions: Do you have roof trusses or are there separate rafters and ceiling joists? If separate rafters and ceiling joists, what is the size of the joist?
Ridge and rafter-ceiling joists are 2 x 6 and would need to be sistered with 2 x 10s (if not 12s).

Old 12-15-2014, 02:14 PM

592 posts, read 1,478,270 times
I have seen homes in my neighborhood that have done this... it doesn't necessarily look bad but I question that considering the amount of work and money that goes into this to get such a narrow new space, how much more would it be to add a full second floor? Definitely not double the amount.

If I remember when I get home I'll grab a pic or two and post. but don't count on me remembering. ha

Old 12-15-2014, 02:40 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
I'm not being mean....but...........it looks like a chicken coop.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:20 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Yes, it's a shed roof. The windows in that configuration are called "clerestory" windows. They can be fixed, or operatable. When operatable, they can create air movement by convection. Usually they are motorized, and work as awning windows.

As for the addition itself- anything is possible; it's just a matter of how much money you want to throw at it. The other part of the equation is "is it worth it?"- and the only person who can intelligently address that question is a RE agent who is very familiar with your area. (S)he can determine if the addition will be in-line with other homes in the area (comps).

The second most important question is can it even be done(?)- like, are there height restrictions for the neighborhood?

Then there's the foundation issue- is house currently on a slab, crawl, or basement? Is it sufficient enough for the extra load? The structure part(s) are easy- a little engineering and the right beams and your in business (the least of my concerns).

The plumbing would probably need a little update- mostly the waste stack. It would need to be increased to handle the additional bath.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:33 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,071,383 times
Shed roofs are extremely popular now in Seattle. A lot of remodels are incorporating them in, though usually with larger eaves. Granted, these houses are in the $700-$850K range (lower priced neighborhoods) but people don't seem to care that they don't fit in with the rest of the old ranchers.

This one is a little extreme, but it's a retrofit on a house that had a really weird second floor addition done at some point.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/10...177/home/97024

They're common on new construction as well:

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/85...17/home/100009

Old 12-16-2014, 06:50 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
...an addition on the back half of the house
that cantilevers a bit (2') and raises the roof height above current level

Any thoughts?
Unless your roof is shot and you NEED to rebuild all that framing... NO.
If it is shot... get a real designer involved.

If you need more space.. go out not up. Or move.
It costs a LOT less.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:21 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,524 times
I have to agree, its a bit awkward. But I'm not a huge fan of asymmetrical designs in general so it might just be my own personal bias. However, as far as real estate value goes, it doesn't usually help to have to describe a property as "unique". I'm not advocating cookie cutter neighborhoods but I think you are on the right track to drive around your neighborhood. What are the other homes like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House