Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 12:22 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times

Advertisements

After reading another thread here about digital/mechanic thermostats, I'm now planning to upgrade to wifi thermostats to replace my Builder's grade LuxPro's. Below the model I plan to get because it retails at $99.xx and there is a $100 rebate from my gas company in MA which means the cost ends up close to free.

Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi

I've read the instructions, watched the manufacturer's instruction videos and several Youtube videos on thermostat wiring. Thus I went from knowing NADA about wiring a thermostat to elementary skill level. However, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I need help from the wonderful people here to clarify some things before I dive in.

Background: HVAC unit a gas furnace / AC combo (single stage, I think). System is definitely not a heat pump. Current thermostats run on batteries.

I understand that the new thermostat requires a C wire which my current system does not have. So I'll need to take the existing G wire and put it into the C position at the thermostat. Plus, I'll need to open up the furnace and do the same thing as well as jump 2 of the connections together with an extra piece of wire (I need to re-watch the video to remember which 2 ). Anyway, I'm getting it so far (not bad for a newbie).

Here is where I start to get confused: According to most videos, I should have 4 wires ( W, Y, G, R/Rc ). OK, check. However, the current wiring (attached pic for you guys) has other wires beside those 4. In particular, I see B and O wires and all the videos say that B /O are used for heat pumps.... Wait-a-minute, I know it's NOT a heat pump

Question: Am I supposed to put the B and O wires back into the new thermostat even though the system is not a heat pump?
Wiring a new Programmable Thermostat-current-wiring.jpg

Last edited by mmyk72; 12-15-2014 at 12:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 05:38 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I'm now planning to upgrade to wifi thermostats
Don't.
Programmable? Sure, why not. But not wifi.

Quote:
According to most videos, I (need to) have (no fewer than) 4 wires ( W, Y, G, R/Rc ).
the current wiring has other wires beside those 4.
In particular, I see B and O wires ...
Are these other wires ATTACHED at both ends now?
Not just the t-stat end but down at the furnace too?
If so, what are they connected to?
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring a new Programmable Thermostat-basic-thermostat-color-codes.jpg  

Old 12-15-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Don't.
Programmable? Sure, why not. But not wifi.
Hi Mr R - I trust you always so I'm intrigued that you recommend Not Wifi. What's the reason?

I'm a bit afraid fancy features like wifi may turn my furnace/ac on or off inadvertently. I only plan to use the wifi feature when I'm home or away for a few hours. If I'm not home for a long time on trips, I don't keep my modem/router powered anyway.

Wouldn't the T-stat work like a normal non-wifi version if it detects no wifi signal?

Quote:
Are these other wires ATTACHED at both ends now?
Not just the t-stat end but down at the furnace too?
If so, what are they connected to?
I'll go to the furnace and see how the wiring looks. Will take pics when I get there...

Old 12-15-2014, 10:35 AM

161 posts, read 297,001 times
Just a heads up, the wifi function probably won't work as you don't have a C wire going to your thermostat. I had the same issue with mine and ended up plugging in a 24v transformer in my attic and dropping the wire down to the thermostat.

The wifi comes in handy for me as my wife tends to mess with the thermostat and then leave. Popping on the AC right before I leave work in the summer also comes in handy.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:39 AM

621 posts, read 1,122,970 times
O and B are for heat pumps ONLY. Use either of the 2 for the "C" conductor and terminate at both the stat and furnace circuit board. Leave the remaining wire unused.

Taking the "G" wire and using for "C" will back fire once cooling season comes around as the stat commands the fan on with the "G" wire. The furnace board commands the fan control during heating and therefore, you wouldn't realize the problem you've created until cooling season.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:39 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Hi Mr R - I trust you always so I'm intrigued that you recommend Not Wifi. What's the reason?
Unnecessary complication (hiding as convenience) and the added expense.
The uses you've described don't warrant either.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
According to most videos, I (need to) have (no fewer than) 4 wires ( W, Y, G, R/Rc ).
OK, here is a pic from my upper level Tstat .... notice the G is NOT CONNECTED I do see a green wire tucked into the wall hole... Is there a reason this wire was purposely left un-connected?
Wiring a new Programmable Thermostat-upper-level-tstat-current-wiring.jpg

BTW, when I first moved into the house (2 yrs ago), I turned on the heat to the 2nd flr and nothing happened. Scared me for a few minutes but I figured out that my system works this way:
  • 1st F Tstat is 'off': No heat or AC entirely. Even if 2nd F Tstat calls for heat/AC
  • 1st F Tstat on 'heat' (but room temp is already warmer than setpoint) / 2nd F Tstat on 'heat' (room temp cooler than setpoint): Heat goes to the 2nd F & dampers block heat from entering 1st F.
  • 2nd F Tstat is 'off' / 1st F Tstat on 'heat' (room temp cooler than setpoint): Heat goes to 1st F & heat goes to 2nd F (no dampers blocking 2nd F heat).
Is it a typical arrangement?

1 other thing I just learned is adjusting the 'swing' on my current Tstat. I've now set it to a higher # (default was 1) to reduce the # of cycles. However, the new Honeywell Tstats (wifi or no wifi) do not have the swing adjustment option. So I may to go with another brand that allow swing adjustment - Lux has that feature but then it's the same brand as the one I'm using that's occasionally not kicking the furnace on or off, so don't know if I want to get another Lux.

Last edited by mmyk72; 12-15-2014 at 11:24 AM..

Old 12-15-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
ok... I was only considering the wifi unit because the rebate makes it almost free. So it's actually less costly than non-wifi units. I understand that complication is not a good thing most of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
O and B are for heat pumps ONLY. Use either of the 2 for the "C" conductor and terminate at both the stat and furnace circuit board. Leave the remaining wire unused.

Taking the "G" wire and using for "C" will back fire once cooling season comes around
as the stat commands the fan on with the "G" wire. The furnace board commands the fan control during heating and therefore, you wouldn't realize the problem you've created until cooling season.
Thank the lord you told me this Love and kisses to you. So don't mess with that G wire. I can't believe Honeywell made the video telling people to do something that's completely wrong.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:24 PM

906 posts, read 1,765,936 times
Quote:
Its only unnecessary if you think you won't use the WIFI features. I use my iPhone to control my Nest thermostats quite frequently. In addition, I hated programming my old Honeywells. Its so much easier to program a thermostat via a smartphone or PC.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:01 PM

Hi Fellow CDer's, I'm back with pics from the furnace (see below). I'm able to match the furnace wiring up with the T-stat wiring... but not completely. Hope you guys can help decipher what the installer did.

I gathered that the B (blue) and O (orange) wires inside the 1st Floor Tstat are not connected at the furnace. So one of these can be re-purposed as C. That means I can take the blue coiled up wire currently free at the furnace and put it on C, and also move the Blue wire in the 1st Floor Tstat from B (current position) to C (currently empty). The orange wire seems to have disappeared at the furnace. Is this correct??

What puzzles me is why there is a 2nd bundle of wires (Red and White wires indicated by the blue boxes). They don't seem to correspond to the Tstat wiring. These connect to the 'C' and 'Y' at the furnace. However, it doesn't make sense since the C isn't even connected to any wire at both Tstat's. Any clue as to what these Bundle #2 wires are for??

BTW, this is a for a 1-stage Gas Heat / AC unit. Other Related Questions:

1) When I add the Blue wire into C at the furnace, should the white wire (from Bundle #2) that's currently there stay or be removed?

2) Notice the Y at the furnace have 2 wires feeding it (one from each wire bundle). Is that legit?

3) The 2nd Floor Tstat has no G wiring. Is that legit (Both heat and AC work properly as far as I can tell)?
Thanks in advance... you guys have been really helpful.

Wiring a new Programmable Thermostat-tstat-pic.jpgWiring a new Programmable Thermostat-furnace-wiring.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House