Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 11:58 AM

671 posts, read 900,778 times

Advertisements

So I have a hydronic heating system with oil heat. I have a SlantFin Liberty II boiler. I do not see a water heater.

I imagine the boiler uses water for both heating, appliances, and domestic? Is that something that is done?

The issue is, when we take showers, the temperature never gets hot. It will usually get warm at a max setting. I looked at the temp on the boiler itself and it was about 170 F.

Is the temperature too low? If so, is there an easy way to adjust the temperature higher?

Any insight?

Also, on what I believe to be an unrelated note... the heating system is loud making banging and clanking noises. Is there an easy way to fix this? (I believe it is because of air in the system?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 12:14 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
You should not mess with this on your own!

In all likelihood there are problems with air entrapped in the system. It is very likely NOT "unrelated" and may very well be impacting the ability to take a "hot" shower but there is NO WAY you want to deliver 170° to a shower. THAT CAN KILL A KID LIKE A LOBSTER AND EVEN GIVE LIFE THREATENING 3rd BURNS TO A HEALTHY ADULT IN SECONDS!!!!
Antiscald Inc.

My gut says that there is some "domestic hot water loop" in this set-up that needs to be tweaked. You might have anti-scald mixing valves in the shower that need to be adjusted too!

Hire a PROFESSIONAL to adjust the system!

Old 12-30-2014, 12:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post

I imagine the boiler uses water for both heating, appliances, and domestic? Is that something that is done?
Probably has domestic hot water coil inside the boiler. On the back will probably inlet and outlet with 3/4 or 1/2 pipe. Inside the boiler it looks like this:

Quote:
The issue is, when we take showers, the temperature never gets hot. It will usually get warm at a max setting. I looked at the temp on the boiler itself and it was about 170 F.
That's plenty hot, you probably have a mixing valve after the water is heated, it will have an adjustable dial on it. That mixes cold water with hot water to prevent scalding. If it's not a mixing valve issue then it's possible the coil is too small. The valve will look something like this:

Quote:
Is the temperature too low? If so, is there an easy way to adjust the temperature higher?
There will probably be a gray box on the side of the boiler. It's called an aquastat. Turn the power to the boiler off before opening this box as there is exposed live wires inside. You are going to find two dials, one labeled hi and one labeled lo. In the winter time you usually set the hi at 180 and the lo at 160. You can set the high at 190 and the lo to 170, make sure you keep a 20 degree difference.

Quote:
Also, on what I believe to be an unrelated note... the heating system is loud making banging and clanking noises. Is there an easy way to fix this? (I believe it is because of air in the system?)
Check for bleeder valves on radiators/radiation especially at high points in the sytem. Careful with this because when you open the valve water is eventually going to come out and it can be very hot.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:47 PM

Would a mixing valve have to be adjusted depending on the season? The shower hot water seemed fine in the summer, when the heat wasn't on. Didn't notice the issue until I started using the heat.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Would a mixing valve have to be adjusted depending on the season?
Generally you set it and forget it.

Quote:
Didn't notice the issue until I started using the heat.
Is it a really long distance from the boiler to the shower in an unheated space like a basement? In that case you might be need to adjust the mixing valve hotter. If you have a really long run like that it should be insulated.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Generally you set it and forget it.

Is it a really long distance from the boiler to the shower in an unheated space like a basement? In that case you might be need to adjust the mixing valve hotter. If you have a really long run like that it should be insulated.
It's maybe 20-30 long and then 6 feet up to the shower. The basement is heating and I have the thermostat set in the low 50's.

I'll take a look tonight to see if I have a mixing valve. Thanks for the insight.

Also, I didn't see any bleeder valves in my bedroom for the baseboard heater (top floor, corner of the house). I can check the other 3 bedrooms upstairs tonight.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:02 PM

Found the mixing valve... it was set to the warmest setting already. I closed it a few turns, then re-opened just to verify.

I did locate the aquastat while I was down there. [and noted your caution to turn off power before opening it]. Out of curiosity, what are the settings generally for summer (I saw the winter suggestions).

Old 12-31-2014, 12:27 AM

Presumably the mixing valve is near the boiler? That's not really a long run but I'd insulate your pipes if you can, it's cheap and easy. If anything it will help keep the water inside the pipe hot after you shut it off preventing having to wait for it to get to warm the next time you use it.

Since you had plenty of hot water in the summer this is where I would start.

Quote:
Found the mixing valve... it was set to the warmest setting already. I closed it a few turns, then re-opened just to verify.
Unless there is some kind of coincidence changing this is unlikely going to help. If you had hot water in the summer the only conclusion I can draw is you are losing too much heat before it gets to the faucet. If that is not the case then it's possible the valve is faulty.

Quote:
I did locate the aquastat while I was down there. [and noted your caution to turn off power before opening it]. Out of curiosity, what are the settings generally for summer (I saw the winter suggestions).
I'll say it again, if your water temperature is always around 170 degrees it's already plenty hot and if you have a mixing valve changing this is going to have no affect. Generally you just want to set this at lo-160 and hi-180 and leave it alone, you can lower it too 140/160 in the summer but I don't know if you will gain anything from that.

Increasing it too a higher temperature can help if for example it's taking a long time to heat the house. If you set it at 170/190 you need to check the pressure relief valve. Should be on the side of the boiler somewhere and have a pipe pointing at the ground. If that pipe starts dripping turn it back to 180.

This probably something to avoid messing with unless it's not set at 160/180.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:38 PM

266 posts, read 449,910 times
Quote:
So I have a hydronic heating system with oil heat. I have a SlantFin Liberty II boiler. I do not see a water heater.

Any insight?

SHort answer yes one bioler can provide all you heating needs.

Clanging banging is metal pipes expanding when in heat mode. Unrelated is correct. If your boiler is heating water and the control is set to 170 then the control is off. There should be an separate tank off of a steam bioler for storig hot water. It is possible the control is in the wrong location for sampling hot water. Feel free to write me about this problem after forwarding more information.

As a temporary fix raise the aquastat 20 deg F. Please note as to inform everyone to be careful of possible scalding water temps. If this happens re-adjust the aquastat. You'll know what to do.

Ther is a heat exchanger on the boiler which a separate pump circulates boiler heat to a holding tank. This is where your control logic is weak.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:25 AM

So after a little investigating: I ran the hot water upstairs, went down to the boiler. The pipe right after the mixing valve got cold pretty quick. The pipe between the boiler and the mixing valve also cooled down really quick as well.

This leads me to believe that the issue is with that domestic hot water coil?

Edit: I have a plumber coming in Saturday, I imagine it will be an easy fix for someone experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House