Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 10:14 AM

102 posts, read 245,861 times

Advertisements

I am curious to hear what you all find to be the best appliance brand in this day and age. Gone are the days brands were built to last decades. I am talking refrigerators, dishwashers, stoves, dryers, and washing machines. Perhaps furnace and ac units too.

I remember finding a list online that showed what brands own other brands. I may have to dig for it.

I was leaning towards GE appliances. I love their YouTube channel showing all of the types of stress test machines. What have you found most reliable in the 21st century? No longer can you go by the appliances of the 70s and 80s....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 11:28 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,370 times
My last house I owned for 14 years came brand new with GE Profile appliances.

I bought a new 80 series Kenmore W/D set that was still going strong 14 years later when house sold.

My new house has Samsung everything and a Bosch dishwasher ... all perfect after 3 years of use.

I have always had good luck with appliances. Don't abuse / over fill them and be aware of routine maintenance - cleaning also.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:45 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Subscribe to Consumer Reports, they have data.
Electrolux now owns the GE brand.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:00 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Subscribe to Consumer Reports, they have data.
Electrolux now owns the GE brand.
In Electrolux's tiers, the GE brands slot above Frigidaire but below Electrolux itself.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:01 PM

I subbed to C.R. last year. They seem to only test a year's model though rather than compiling an actual brand's data for a period of 10 years. I recall hearing good things about Electrolux, how could they own GE? I thought GE was a very large entity?

Edit : I see now, they were only buying GE Appliances, not the company.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:02 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default It is all there

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSNicholas View Post
I subbed to C.R. last year. They seem to only test a year's model though rather than compiling an actual brand's data for a period of 10 years.
Go to the product and then click on the brand reliability tab.
For example, for Bottom-freezers Reliability: Samsung is best and Electrolux is worst.
For example, for Dishwashers Reliability: Bosch is best and Samsung is worst.

Last edited by davebarnes; 01-03-2015 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 03:25 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The Electrolux acquisition of GE's appliance will take quite some time -- Electrolux buys GE Appliances: End of an era | The Economist

I have been happy with my Fridigaire /Electrolux frontloader wash machines /dryers. I have no idea if that will translate into other successes.

Kenmore is a hodgepodge now -- some stuff is sourced from Whirlpool, other from LG or Samsung or Haier.

You really can't go by "brand" for much of any thing. Even high end brands "relabel" lots of stuff. Viking bought the old Amana built-in fridge line and it is very unreliable. In contrast they source microwaves from Sharp and they are excellent.

Subzero has done an excellent effort of having high quality refrigerators and freezers, a few years back they had some challenges moving off their old elctro-mechanical controls to digital but now they have top rated reliability. They bought the Wolf stove brand and it is most OK, though for the money other firms have better performance.

When it comes to disposers pretty much all the guts are made by InSinkerator and they relabel stuff for Kenmore, Viking and others. Years and years ago when KitchenAid was part of Hobart you could toss a whole crop of produce / livestock into those things and they'd just keep grinding away. Now the computer analysis makes it more likely that they do not over-design and if you get a year or two more life than the 10 year warranty you are lucky...

Old 01-03-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Go to the product and then click on the brand reliability tab.
For example, for Bottom-freezers Reliability: Samsung is best and Electrolux is worst.
For example, for Dishwashers Reliability: Bosch is best and Samsung is worst.
I dropped my subscription. So I will not use their service for now. Perhaps I will when making all appliance purchases next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Subzero has done an excellent effort of having high quality refrigerators and freezers, a few years back they had some challenges moving off their old elctro-mechanical controls to digital but now they have top rated reliability. They bought the Wolf stove brand and it is most OK, though for the money other firms have better performance.

When it comes to disposers pretty much all the guts are made by InSinkerator and they relabel stuff for Kenmore, Viking and others. Years and years ago when KitchenAid was part of Hobart you could toss a whole crop of produce / livestock into those things and they'd just keep grinding away. Now the computer analysis makes it more likely that they do not over-design and if you get a year or two more life than the 10 year warranty you are lucky...
Never heard of Subzero. I won't own a garbage disposal since I will have a septic system, all foods will be trashed. How does the warranty work in cases of 10 year warranty, where you said getting 1 or 2 more years of life is lucky, wouldn't it be best to have it fail while under warranty, financially speaking?

Old 01-03-2015, 08:39 PM

340 posts, read 664,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSNicholas View Post
How does the warranty work in cases of 10 year warranty, where you said getting 1 or 2 more years of life is lucky, wouldn't it be best to have it fail while under warranty, financially speaking?
You would need to read the warranty to find out exactly what it covers. Most appliances are covered for parts and labor for one year. In the case of a 10 year warranty, it often does not cover labor after the first year, and the labor is often a larger portion of the cost than the parts. If, for example, a dishwasher fails in the 9th year, the high cost of the not-covered labor charge will cause most folks to simply replace it with a new one.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:51 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The "10 warranty" that I have encountered is mostly for higher end products and even then it usually just covers the "core" components -- for instance the magnetron in a microwave or the compressors in a higher end fridge.

From the perspective of the consumer it would probably be better for the device to fail at 9 year and 11 months but from the perspective of the manufacturer it is dies at 10 years and 1 month they are "off the hook"...

Subzero is an America company headquartered in Madison WI, they actually have two year "no questions" warranty on the whole unit, then an 5 year "full parts and labor" on the sealed components and any labor needed to repair / replace than a 12 year warranty on the "core components" w/o labor of their fridges -- http://www.subzero-wolf.com/resource...roWarranty.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House