Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 06:36 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,860,380 times

Advertisements

I've seen all sorts of uses from outdoor furniture to pet beds, etc but this takes the cake. If somebody has access to lots of pallets, lots of time and access to finishing tools this is the way to go.

For Months, This Family Saved These Wooden Pallets...To Make Something Incredible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 06:43 AM

4,835 posts, read 5,996,664 times
Pretty neat. My father-in-law has made quite a few really nice dressers out of oak pallets that he has run through a planner after taking them apart.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:09 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,217,792 times
Seems like way too much work for what they ended up with. If used mismatched wood was the look they were after, then good for them. And they did a great job.
However, its not what I would want.
In the past I have done a lot of work with pallets. To build the furniture I did I had to do a lot of cutting and glue work to get boards without a bunch of old nail holes in them. There is also a huge variety in the wood species they use for pallets, so there was a lot of culling to separate the oak out for my projects. I had a small mountain of "reject wood" when I was done. I also replaced a couple planer and saw blades from broken off nails I missed.
Looking at the photos of them working gave me shudders (remembering my experience).

Old 01-06-2015, 03:35 AM

30,294 posts, read 16,047,525 times
I like the look. But I admit I'd be way too lazy and impatient to do what they did.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:52 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,863,788 times
That looks really cool and rustic. They also have a story to tell when folks ask about the floor..."yeah, I made this floor from old shipping pallets".

I also like the floors I've seen some people do with plywood ripped into planks...
Attached Thumbnails
Incredible use of wooden pallets-plywood-floor.jpg  

Old 01-06-2015, 05:18 AM

110 posts, read 607,475 times
I hope my fiancee doesn't see this, because I know what I'll be doing for the next few weeks...

I've done various things with pallet wood... from making simple shelves to end tables. The most annoying part for me is splitting them apart. The nails used in the ones I get are incredibly difficult to simply pull out. I end up breaking more nails than I pull out.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:07 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,853,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Pretty neat. My father-in-law has made quite a few really nice dressers out of oak pallets that he has run through a planner after taking them apart.
The only trouble there is miss one nail and it's hello $100 bill for new planer blades. I don't even like like running knotty pine through mine.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,815,070 times
I'm apparently on the wrong end of the supply line. I've been in this business for 54 years now and I've never gotten oak pallets with wood that looks like that. And where did they get such big ones? Brick and roofing comes on pallets and none of it's any where near this size. There's a pallet recycle center on the way to my cuzins place and they don't have anything near that size in the several hundred thousands of pallets they have. Frankly, I'm calling this one Bull Bagels. And then they show a little cup of nails. The pallets I get must have 50-60 per each pallet. They should have a 5 gallon can overflowing. Nope, I'm not believing this one.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:18 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,863,788 times
I saw a guy selling bathroom vanities out of them
Attached Thumbnails
Incredible use of wooden pallets-00p0p_j5tag4rw7yz_600x450.jpg  

Old 01-07-2015, 01:46 PM

17,436 posts, read 65,688,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Seems like way too much work for what they ended up with. If used mismatched wood was the look they were after, then good for them. And they did a great job.
However, its not what I would want.
In the past I have done a lot of work with pallets. To build the furniture I did I had to do a lot of cutting and glue work to get boards without a bunch of old nail holes in them. There is also a huge variety in the wood species they use for pallets, so there was a lot of culling to separate the oak out for my projects. I had a small mountain of "reject wood" when I was done. I also replaced a couple planer and saw blades from broken off nails I missed.
Looking at the photos of them working gave me shudders (remembering my experience).

Pallets were used to "transport coconut oil to the US". So, that would make the pallets "imports" and the wood itself may or maynot be oak. Whatever it was, there appears to be an abundant supply- hence, the size of the boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House