Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 01:42 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times

Advertisements

I was hoping someone could help me. My mum has a very small, ceramic table lamp with a metal base, which was a 2nd hand gift. When given to her 2-yrs ago, it had a 60W light bulb screwed into it. There is no on/off switch or button of any kind... it's like the clapper of lamps... you tap the lamp once for dim, twice for medium brightness, thrice to turn it on high & 4 times to turn it off. I've never seen anything like it.

It's worked fine until the bulb blew out this morning. I've tried to replace the bulb with the old iridescent type bulbs... it looks to me as if they're both the same type... in other words, there are no special markings on the bulb to say it's a 3-way bulb. It will only stay on high & in order to turn it off, we need to unplug it from the wall... taping on it doesn't turn it off any longer.

Does anyone know if there's a special bulb needed for these types of lamps? Since it was a 2nd hand gift, there was no box & there's no brand name on the lamp... only a sticker saying it was made in China. Can I purchase a workable bulb?

Thank you very much!

P.S. I did test several brands of iridescent bulbs, just in case one was defective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 01:44 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Do you mean incandescent?

You had a three way bulb, not a 60 watt bulb.
Putting in a 60 watt will not give you three wattages. You need to buy another three way bulb.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:48 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
The lamp probably had a "touch switch".
It's connected to the metal base; when you tap the base it senses the "touch" and changes the settings of the bulb.

It's highly probable that the switch has gone bad- there are generic replacements available.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Do you mean incandescent?
Ahahahaha. Yes, sorry.

Quote:
You had a three way bulb, not a 60 watt bulb.
Thank you. Now I feel stupid for asking. I thought a 3-way bulb was labeled as such. Nevermind... I'll show myself out of the room, on my way to buying a 3-way bulb.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:27 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Probably was NOT a three way bulb. I have a couple of those lamps and they take normal 60W bulbs, there's an internal dimmer. Most likely it's gone bad, possibly failing due to the old bulb blowing.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The lamp probably had a "touch switch".
It's connected to the metal base; when you tap the base it senses the "touch" and changes the settings of the bulb.

It's highly probable that the switch has gone bad- there are generic replacements available.
Great info, thank you. I'll see if a new 3-way bulb works, if I can still find an iridescent bulb (or as Pitt calls them, incandescent ), in the store. If not, I'll search online for a YTube video on replacing the touch switch. I don't mind a project & I'll learn something in the process.

When the light blew out, it did so with sparks & a pop, so perhaps you are right on the touch switch going bad... I've never before seen a light bulb that sparked or popped before failing.

Thanks so much, both of you!

Old 01-05-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Probably was NOT a three way bulb. I have a couple of those lamps and they take normal 60W bulbs, there's an internal dimmer. Most likely it's gone bad, possibly failing due to the old bulb blowing.
Okay, good info, NY, thank you. I've never had a 3-way lamp, but I assumed there would be some indication of the bulb being 3-way written on the bulb. I'll do a bit of digging via Google & YTube on how to fix a 3-way lamp. Thank you.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:35 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
There a difference between "3-way bulb" and a "3-way lamp".

A 3-way bulb IS marked as a 3-way. It will have the 3 watt ranges stamped on it (example- 25-60-100).

A 3-way lamp will have a switch that when operated will turn on one "bulb or lamp", when operated again it will turn off that "bulb or lamp" and turn ON another. Operate the switch again and both bulbs turn on. One more time- and they're off.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:

A 3-way bulb IS marked as a 3-way. It will have the 3 watt ranges stamped on it (example- 25-60-100).

A 3-way lamp will have a switch that when operated will turn on one "bulb or lamp", when operated again it will turn off that "bulb or lamp" and turn ON another. Operate the switch again and both bulbs turn on. One more time- and they're off.
Great, thank you. Glad I didn't go out for a bulb yesterday. Mum's already wrapped up the lamp to drop off with my brother to see if he wants to take it apart & fix it or use the lamp shade on another lamp.

Thank you for the clarification, K'ledge.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Quote:

I've never seen an incandescent bulb marked like this. I've seen 30-70-100, 50-100-150, etc. but never one where the highest wattage didn't equal the sum of the other 2, especially not one where the highest wattage is greater than the sum of the other 2.

Unless they have come up with a new way of making them that I am unaware of, a 3-way incandescent bulb has 2 elements in. The first click of the switch turns on the low wattage (i.e. 30) element, the second click turns the low wattage (30) element off and the high wattage (70) element on, the third click turns the low wattage (30) back on giving the highest (30+70=100) wattage light.

Compact 3-way fluorescents (and other types) may be rated as differently because the light is created differently and have "wattage equivalence" ratings that will differ from the actual consumed usage.

Last edited by rrtechno; 01-06-2015 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: additional information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House