Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 03:09 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times

Advertisements

Here is what my problem is: About a week ago I noticed that part of my front lawn was soggy and wet. At the time I did not think anything of it because we had just had the first rain in about 4 months here and I thought it was just left over from that. But then I noticed it did not dry like the rest of my lawn now that it has not rained in a week or so. Upon investigation, I discovered that the water meter well in my yard seem to be the source of the water because it was filled with water and mud. I bailed all the water and mud out of it and noticed the meter was will moving with the main shut off in the house but I also noticed that the leak seemed to be coming out of the meter itself because I saw movement there of water and the well was filling back up after I bailed it out. Is it possible for the meter itself to leak water? When I called the water people and told them the meter still moves when the water to the house is shut off, they tried to say it is my problem since that indicates a leak on my side of the meter but I argued that it looks like the meter itself is leaking so they say they will send somebody out to look at it tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 03:26 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,112,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Here is what my problem is: About a week ago I noticed that part of my front lawn was soggy and wet. At the time I did not think anything of it because we had just had the first rain in about 4 months here and I thought it was just left over from that. But then I noticed it did not dry like the rest of my lawn now that it has not rained in a week or so. Upon investigation, I discovered that the water meter well in my yard seem to be the source of the water because it was filled with water and mud. I bailed all the water and mud out of it and noticed the meter was will moving with the main shut off in the house but I also noticed that the leak seemed to be coming out of the meter itself because I saw movement there of water and the well was filling back up after I bailed it out. Is it possible for the meter itself to leak water? When I called the water people and told them the meter still moves when the water to the house is shut off, they tried to say it is my problem since that indicates a leak on my side of the meter but I argued that it looks like the meter itself is leaking so they say they will send somebody out to look at it tomorrow.
Very unusual for the actual meter to leak.

If the meter is moving - and you have turned off the water going into the house, it sounds like they are right - you have a leak on YOUR side of the meter and usually that means it will be YOUR responsibility to fix.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:02 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,627,122 times
you probably have a broken pipe under your lawn, street or house. the city might be responsible for fixing it or you may be. it all depends on the location of the break. if you dont have it fixed soon it could turn into a geiser!
there have been recalls on a certain material (blue max) that was used for pipes and these breaks have happened alot.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times
Well now it went from bad to worse. The water people came out and said that the pipe is leaking and that the problem was common in my neighbourhood because the builder used plastic blue pipe from the meter to the house. They said it leaks 1 gallon a minute and they shut off the water to my figgin house! The pipe runs under my double wide drive way and probably under the slab of the house- I do not know how in hell I am gonna fix this!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:55 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,112,923 times
Quote:
Well now it went from bad to worse. The water people came out and said that the pipe is leaking and that the problem was common in my neighbourhood because the builder used plastic blue pipe from the meter to the house. They said it leaks 1 gallon a minute and they shut off the water to my figgin house! The pipe runs under my double wide drive way and probably under the slab of the house- I do not know how in hell I am gonna fix this!
Sounds like its plumber time KevK

Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 PM

326 posts, read 1,366,949 times
Offer to dig the trench yourself. That should cut the bill in half.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
You can use "Trench-less" water pipe replacement for your home supply line...

You will need a plumber with the equipment... the theory is the same as trench-less sewer replacement.

It works by feeding a steel cable through the existing water pipe and attaching one end of the cable to a special hardened steel cone with the other side of the cone attached to your replacement pipe.

As the cable is pulled through it splits the existing pipe and pulls the new pipe along with it. It works very slick. It usually is only cost effective when you can avoid digging up expensive driveways and landscaping.

The good news is it can all be done in one day.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:15 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,359,778 times
Quote:
We had this problem with our last house that we just sold last May. There was a class action lawsuit but of course the pipes didn't start breaking until after the period to get money for it was over. While our house was on the market there was atleast 4 other houses that their pipes busted. We crossed our fingers. I was told it was around $2,000. to fix, keep in mind that the yards were only around .12 acre not very big. One neighbor actually did his on his own and his pipe went under concrete. But most of us don't have the know how or time to do this.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:11 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
You can use "Trench-less" water pipe replacement for your home supply line...

You will need a plumber with the equipment... the theory is the same as trench-less sewer replacement.

It works by feeding a steel cable through the existing water pipe and attaching one end of the cable to a special hardened steel cone with the other side of the cone attached to your replacement pipe.

As the cable is pulled through it splits the existing pipe and pulls the new pipe along with it. It works very slick. It usually is only cost effective when you can avoid digging up expensive driveways and landscaping.

The good news is it can all be done in one day.
This system is slick as owl s**t! I had the fortune of replacing the blue pipe on both of my last two houses. And the great fortune of, it didn't cost me a dime. Unfortunely, that money (class action suit) is now gone. Replacement cost is based on total length of supply line.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,627,122 times
we spent tons of money having our blue max problem fixed. they had to dig a 12 ft deep (i may be exaggerating) moat around our entire house and jackhammer our laundry room floor to find the break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House