Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:16 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times

Advertisements

We only have one tv, and it's in our family room downstairs. Contrary to previous posts, our upstairs propane FP get's a lot of use- but it is designed to throw out the heat, not send it up the stack. It is on every day during the winter and it is a primary heat source for us in Montana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 11:40 AM

906 posts, read 1,765,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
its an ugly trend that people will say WTF were we thinking of, 10 years from now.
THIS.

I personally hate TVs over fireplaces for the functional reasons (bad for the TV, tough on the neck to watch it). It also places the focus of the room on an ugly TV instead of your furniture and decorations. We purposely placed our furniture in an orientation that draws your eyes to the fireplace (and an art piece above the fireplace) and away from the TV, which is off to the side.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:08 PM

614 posts, read 1,237,190 times
For those who said it hurts their necks, how close/far were you all sitting away from the tv? I have mine on top of the fireplace and have never had any issues. My couch is about 8-10 feet away.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
THIS.

I personally hate TVs over fireplaces for the functional reasons (bad for the TV, tough on the neck to watch it). It also places the focus of the room on an ugly TV instead of your furniture and decorations. We purposely placed our furniture in an orientation that draws your eyes to the fireplace (and an art piece above the fireplace) and away from the TV, which is off to the side.

This I disagree. It frees up space to put more furniture and decorations

Old 01-13-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
its an ugly trend that people will say WTF were we thinking of, 10 years from now.

I rather lose the FP and have the TV. In most home the FP is totally un necessary and takes up valueable wall space.
But I think people have been doing this for over 10years now. I keep hearing this but 10 years keep getting pushed back and by the time you know it, it will be 50 years and people stil doing it. Sorry, I don't see it going away. Difference in a opinion but I just think it's so functional.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:16 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I personally don't like it but it often is the only functional option. I ended up opting to not put in a fireplace in my new construction house because I realized on a daily basis, we use the TV a whole lot more than we would use a fireplace and in terms of layout, the only choice would have been to have the tv over the fireplace. But if I were buying a resale house and the fireplace was already there, I would have ended up with the tv above it.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:09 PM

906 posts, read 1,765,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
This I disagree. It frees up space to put more furniture and decorations
The fireplace in most living/family rooms is a focal point for the design of the room. Its taste specific, but I think having a TV over it is ugly. I'd rather it be off the side, maybe in the built-in where it can be tucked away or hidden from view.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
The fireplace in most living/family rooms is a focal point for the design of the room. Its taste specific, but I think having a TV over it is ugly. I'd rather it be off the side, maybe in the built-in where it can be tucked away or hidden from view.

But then you would have to get some sort of entertainment center to house is or a table and wouldn't that be ugly as well? You have this whole section devoted to the tv. I know personal taste but I just think on top of the fireplace looks clean. As long as you run the wires into the wall and not have them hanging outside.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:22 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
We almost had a deal on nice house with a sweet setup. When you pushed a button a panel slid up exposing the TV above the fireplace. That was cool.
Space is good. If you can sit back far enough from the TV it will be OK but too close it will be like sitting in the front row at the movies.
Watch out! many of the flat screens need a pretty good mount which requires secure attachments to the wall and if you go above your fireplace you might be sinking screws into your flue or damaging the bricks. Be careful what you are mounting that TV to.
I would also think the smoke and soot would be bad for the TV. I know my woodstove kicks out a lot of heat and dust.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:54 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
2 reasons why I don't put a TV over the fireplace. 1- the heat is bad on the electronics, 2- smoke residue buildup is bad for the electronic circuits.
For the reason above we did not put our tv over the wood burning fp. I am one of those people that would not buy a home w/p a wood burning fp. My husband built beautiful bookshelves around the fp and enclosed the tv which is on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House