Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 05:30 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

Here's the issue. Eventually, I imagine, I will have to see an architect face to face for plans but before I start paying them, I'd like to get an idea, a feel for the kind of house that works for me.

As I search the Net for house plans, they all seem to come with the same problem; they are designed for 1/4 acre lots and as such, are compressed.

What I need are plans that are designed for a ranch, for a farm, that spread out some.

"Well, just type into the search engine "farm house plans", "ranch house plans"." Right?

Won't work because "farm house", "ranch house", is a type of housing design and I'll be back to the quarter acre lot design.

So how would one key the search so not to get such results?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 06:05 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Google has collected so many phrases similar to what you want, so try 'house plans for big lots', house plans for wide lots, house plans for view lots, etc. Just type in what you need in simple english and you will get there.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:29 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,790,192 times
Ranch House Plans - Ranch Designs at Architectural Designs Magazine

Old 01-16-2015, 08:39 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
By your "description" you need to use terms more specific to style-

Try "prairie style" or "hacienda style". If you're looking for something more "modern" from the previous two, try MCM (Mid-Century Modern).

Old 01-16-2015, 09:33 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Unfortunately, this is the exact site that has led me to the stated conclusion. That so many of the house plans out there are for 1/4 acre lots.

For example, one of items that will probably be in the end consideration is not to have the garage attached to the house but have a short distance away, perhaps of a different design and construction.......and as one notices with this site, there is no place to check 0 garage.

Anyhow, I'm sort of in the conclusion that because so much of the market is for 1/4 acre lots, everything is designed for such........at least when I look at the site above.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:33 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
You should focus your search away from standard stock plans (of which there are 1000s) and look more to representative custom homes that are of a ranch style; a real, rural Ranch or Hacienda style. Start with periodicals like Fine Home Building or books from Taunton publishing, go to a library and look over books in the architecture area- even look at historical designs, Territorial (early New Mexico) or Ranches of Texas (I can recall such a book here in our library). Or do the same sort of searches on the Internet- you may have some luck with Pintrest or Houzz.

There are going to be far fewer examples but they should far better in allowing you to focus on the most important core elements of what you are looking for.

Outstanding local architects in your area (some of my very favorite architectural design firms in the U.S.), Lake|Flato and Michael G. Imber, will have designs that should make you swoon and hopefully allow you to then look for designs that evoke their styles (without their cost)

Old 01-16-2015, 11:58 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Put in square footage.

I have no problems finding large houseplans online...........of all sizes.

Try here: House Plans and Home Floor Plans at Architectural Designs

Old 01-17-2015, 07:36 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Here's the issue. Eventually, I imagine, I will have to see an architect face to face for plans but before I start paying them, I'd like to get an idea, a feel for the kind of house that works for me.

As I search the Net for house plans, they all seem to come with the same problem; they are designed for 1/4 acre lots and as such, are compressed.

What I need are plans that are designed for a ranch, for a farm, that spread out some.

"Well, just type into the search engine "farm house plans", "ranch house plans"." Right?

Won't work because "farm house", "ranch house", is a type of housing design and I'll be back to the quarter acre lot design.

So how would one key the search so not to get such results?
Check out barndominiums. Doesn't have to be metal, but just for ideas.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:36 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Are you wanting a one story house that sprawls?

Old 01-17-2015, 08:43 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Plan W16375MD: Hill Country, Ranch, Corner Lot House Plans & Home Designs

Lots of flex space............and from the site I previously provided.... under "hill country" plans.

Don't search under ranch...

Also add qualifiers to your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House