Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 03:46 AM

822 posts, read 2,202,695 times

Advertisements

Hello all my fellow CD people;

I hope today is going well for you. I'm a first time homeowner and I have a question I'm hoping some of you can help me with. In your opinion is filing a homestead a good idea? I know many things are different state by state, my state is Nevada and reading the forms for my county it says that a homestead protects up to 550k. As far as what I've read so far a homestead basically protects your home from creditors and other non mortgage related parties trying to take your home in the case that you owe a large sum of money for medical, credit, etc.... It's only a total of around $50 to file here in Nevada so that seems like good investment, however like all things I like to research a lot and ask a lot of questions to get other people's experiences and knowledge about things I'm not educated about. Please share with me your opinions, stories, and advice on homesteading your house. Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 07:06 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
WHAT THE LAW PROVIDES:

When you record a Declaration of Homestead, Nevada law protects the equity in your home up to $550,000 from general creditor claims (unpaid medical bills, bankruptcy, charge card debts, business/personal loans, accidents) but would not preclude a seizure or forced sale of your residence from general creditors if your equity exceeds the $550,000. A creditor may file suit and can record a judgment lien against any real property you own. Recording a Declaration of Homestead protects your principal residence up to the statutory maximum. For example, if the value of your home is $645,000 and you have a first mortgage of $485,000 plus a second mortgage of $10,000, the equity is $150,000.

WHAT IS NOT PROTECTED:

The Homestead law does not protect you against debts secured by a mortgage or deed of trust, payment of taxes, IRS lien, mechanic's lien, child support or alimony payments.

Homestead Law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House