Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 10:57 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Even when my husband was single he cooked a complete dinner for himself every night after work. It's how he taught himself how to cook. He didn't want to live on take out and frozen dinners. With our family of four he cooks almost every night and we frequently bake on the weekends.
I'd say that makes him as far from the norm as people that never use more than a toaster oven.

Quote:
And I suppose by getting a toaster oven it means you'll never plan on hosting large parties or holiday dinners at your place? Or will you just serve two pizzas and some chex mix? As for us, we host a huge party at Christmastime that has 30-40 people attend - if we only had a toaster oven to cook the food we prepare, it would be a nightmare. Same goes for when we host family/friends for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
Never. I don't even know 30-40 people. But if I did, I'd see about buying the food somewhere - no way I'm slaving away in the kitchen for all those people.

Quote:
As someone else stated, giving someone an allowance for the purchase of an oven when you go to sell is a nice perk - but can be expensive if the kitchen doesn't have an easy space to put it. It will possibly require a gas line being put in (if the potential buyer only wants a gas stove), losing some counter surface, and getting rid of some cabinet storage. Potential buyers may see that as too much hassle and decide to buy the house down the street that already comes with an oven for the same price.
Let's assume the resale issue is off the table.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 01-21-2015 at 11:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The reason it makes sense to own an oven is that you don't know what you'll be wanting to do in the future. One of you could end up with a health condition that required you to cook at home more often. You could decide to have a family, and then it would be a lot more than $12-15 to go out to dinner. You or your GF could get interested in baking, and want a real oven rather than a toaster oven. You could decide you want to start cooking a Thanksgiving meal at your house, and that would pretty much require an oven.
My question is realistically - for a family of 2-3 people, what can a full size oven cook that can't be cooked in a toaster oven big enough to hold two large pizzas?

It seems that some folks are having trouble accepting that many people simply don't do a lot of baking and will never have a desire to do so.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 01-21-2015 at 11:15 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
This probably sounds more snobbish than I mean for it to, but if you are eating out for $12-15 for two people, then you do not have have interest in eating well prepared, high quality food. So it now makes sense that you could see an oven as optional.
But what do you think the average American is eating? Are they making THREE well prepared, high quality meals in 27 minutes? LOL - no. They are probably making pizza, cereal, sandwiches, etc.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Oh brother, who cares? It's your kitchen - if you want to paint it in purple polka dots and hang a Christmas tree upside down in the middle of it all year long, go for it. You're obviously not really interested in what other people think about it - you just want to argue your position.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh brother, who cares? It's your kitchen - if you want to paint it in purple polka dots and hang a Christmas tree upside down in the middle of it all year long, go for it. You're obviously not really interested in what other people think about it - you just want to argue your position.
At this point I'm just arguing the theoretical viability of going with a larger toaster oven compared to conventional. I'm guessing a pretty high percentage of people rarely cook more than a toaster oven's capacity. If smaller homes keep gaining in popularity, we may see more people trying to maximize their space and only having things they fully use.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:24 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,582 times
a larger toaster oven might be good for a single person since they can get away with using one vs a family. but like other posters have stated if you ever decide to sell!! not like you can't put a regular oven in and just use the toaster oven!! people do expect to see certain things when a house is up for sale like appliances unless it's stated that the seller is taking them with em. iv'e seen sellers take there washers and dryers and fridges and a select few took there dishwasher i'll never figure that one out for the life of me!!

Old 01-22-2015, 02:08 AM

9 posts, read 11,584 times
I agree with most people on a conventional oven........however, the house I recently moved from had a built in oven that was old even when we bought the house 12 years before. It worked up until about 4 years ago and to replace it (odd size) without redoing cabinets, I just bought a large counter top oven. It is a Hamilton Beach large size that has a rotessere, convection setting, bake, broil, toast. I used it for 4 years and baked cakes, small roast, cookies, larger size pizza's and just about everything.
Only thing I couldn't use it for was a turkey or large roast and I had an electric roaster for that.

It is just my husband and myself and rarely have company so it worked just fine. I also really liked it as it didn't put out the heat in the summer like the large oven. I do have a regular oven combo cooktop now and I find it easier for larger batches of cookies etc. but still use my small oven a lot.

It didn't hurt the sale of my house that it was not working the buyers said no big deal and went and bought a small counter top oven for themselves. So every situation is different and it needs to be left to "each his own"...........

Old 01-22-2015, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
a larger toaster oven might be good for a single person since they can get away with using one vs a family. but like other posters have stated if you ever decide to sell!! not like you can't put a regular oven in and just use the toaster oven!! people do expect to see certain things when a house is up for sale like appliances unless it's stated that the seller is taking them with em. iv'e seen sellers take there washers and dryers and fridges and a select few took there dishwasher i'll never figure that one out for the life of me!!
I don't think anyone will argue that not having an oven could hurt resale value. It may sound bizarre to some, but maybe it'll be more accepted in 20-30 years.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:18 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
My question is realistically - for a family of 2-3 people, what can a full size oven cook that can't be cooked in a toaster oven big enough to hold two large pizzas?
You keep talking about this large toaster oven...
Can you provide a link to it?
I know of none that can bake two large pizzas at the same time.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:40 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You keep talking about this large toaster oven...
Can you provide a link to it?
I know of none that can bake two large pizzas at the same time.

LOL.. the largest countertop oven I found on a search HEATS two 12 inch pizzas at a time. Two racks.

That's not baking two large pizzas......there is a difference between heating..........and baking. And I'd hardly call 12 inch pizzas..........large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House