Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 10:56 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,865,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
How clever, as way back in your early posts you innocently ask if it's just you. Suddenly a chart!

If you wanted to discuss population and cultural trends and home kitchen design, by all means do so, that is actually interesting. But don't be coy and say you're interested in remodelling advice at the outset. Your mind has been made up and you knew it. l
"Is it just me" was obviously rhetorical. I know there are plenty of people that don't cook large meals - when others viewed that as an alien concept, I simply used common sense to show why people are cooking less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Your gf and you may grow up someday and decide to cook something besides a frozen pizza. Or you may be forced to because you don't have the $ to eat out.
Your snarkyness is noted. However, my GF tries to be vegan/raw vegan a lot of the time so I doubt she'll be cooking much. Her cooking usually involves throwing 5 bananas in the blender with a bunch of other fruit. She's a big fan of Freelee The Banana Girl.

Quote:
My brother has lived without an oven for over a year. He's a single, middle aged guy who ran out of $ during a remodel and just let it go. He figured the toaster oven, microwave and bbq would do him fine. And it has...only this xmas he asked us to help pitch in so he could get a real oven.
Did you guys consider getting him a nicer toaster oven. It's hard to imagine something like a Breville not being enough for 1-3 people.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:51 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,260,255 times
You best make sure NOT to neglect the power to run said future Oven be it gas of electric. But ask why concerned with an Oven unless you are installing a drip in range top? Forget the droip in BTDT and just install a typical Stove/Oven combo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post

Resale isn't a huge issue - offer the buyer a concession for a range or put one in when it comes time to sell. If my thinking is correct, in 20 years modern kitchens without conventional ovens will be common.

And that's the point - if rarely used, why have it? When does rarely used become unneeded? Used once every 6 months? Once per year? Once per decade?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:16 AM

17,683 posts, read 29,635,250 times
Default Stop the silliness

Pizza!
Just get a pizza oven.
Artisan Fire Pizza Oven | Kalamazoo Outdoor Gourmet

Old 01-23-2015, 10:34 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,069,758 times
[quote=eddiehaskell;38136100]Just about any oven is going to be 3-4x larger than a tabletop version while not being storable/moveable.

[quote]How is a "very large" toaster oven going to save space?[quote]See above.

[quote]How is an oven prone to breaking? I've never had an oven quit working.
Quote:
So modern appliances are the pinnacle of reliability?

For one, it can never look dated because it can always be hidden in a cabinet - or for those that don't cook much, completely taken out of the room.
The difference in width between a small oven and the oven you linked to is 3 inches.

Countertop toaster ovens are a pinnacle of reliability?

I don't have a single cabinet a 21 inch oven would fit in, and I live in a pretty big house.

You have no argument.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:38 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,076,878 times
Quote:
But the question is - when they use them, how much are they cooking....enough for 3-4 people (large toaster oven) or enough to feed a large group of people?
We use our toaster oven to supplement our regular oven. The thing with a toaster oven is that it's a whole lot more like cooking everything with a broiler, than actually cooking with a small oven. You couldn't cook enough food in a $100 toaster oven to feed 4 people.

We use ours for little stuff like Texas Toast, fish sticks, french fries and stuff like that. Even then you have to either watch the food like a hawk, or cover it with aluminum foil, to keep it from being quickly burned. Even though smaller pizza will fit in ours, it still comes out way better when we cook it in the full sized oven.

The problem with a toaster oven is the heating elements are too close to the food.

If we were looking at houses and a house didn't have an oven, we would walk away.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:20 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,984,371 times
Good grief! Over 200 posts!

OP, if you want to disregard things like resale value, utility usage, frequent replacement costs for using a disposable appliance vs a durable one, lack of flexibility, reduced future options, counterspace requirements, and increased casework costs because you want a non-standard setup, then you are absolutely right. If you do not consider those things a toaster oven makes a lot of sense.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post

I don't have a single cabinet a 21 inch oven would fit in, and I live in a pretty big house.

You have no argument.
You demolished my arugent right there. LOL.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Good grief! Over 200 posts!

OP, if you want to disregard things like resale value, utility usage, frequent replacement costs for using a disposable appliance vs a durable one, lack of flexibility, reduced future options, counterspace requirements, and increased casework costs because you want a non-standard setup, then you are absolutely right. If you do not consider those things a toaster oven makes a lot of sense.
You're piling on so let's take this point by point really quick.

1. Resale value is only an issue of one plans on moving soon. Some folks simply don't move as much as CityData would lead you to believe (a forum largely centered around transplants getting to know a new area).

2. Do you have any data that supports your claim of toaster ovens being unreliable?

3. What does lack of flexibility mean?

4. Future options may matter to some, but not all. I believe most adults have a good idea whether they'll be cooking large meals in the future. If you dislike cooking and you've never cooked a large meal - I'd say odds are you'll never do it. Like the articles I linked to stated - most Americans like to watch cooking on TV rather than doing it themselves.

5. Counterspace requirements are more than offset by the size of a conventional oven. And like I said - for those that don't use an oven often, they can take it off the counter and store it in an upper cabinet, base cabinet or pantry.

6. Can you explain casework cost?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:58 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,437,504 times
I once read that the average American moves every six years. This was back in the early 1990s, so it may be slightly different now.

A wise man once told me, "let it go."

Truer words were never spoken.

I pass along the same advice to you.

Quote:
You're piling on so let's take this point by point really quick.

1. Resale value is only an issue of one plans on moving soon. Some folks simply don't move as much as CityData would lead you to believe (a forum largely centered around transplants getting to know a new area).

2. Do you have any data that supports your claim of toaster ovens being unreliable?

3. What does lack of flexibility mean?

4. Future options may matter to some, but not all. I believe most adults have a good idea whether they'll be cooking large meals in the future. If you dislike cooking and you've never cooked a large meal - I'd say odds are you'll never do it. Like the articles I linked to stated - most Americans like to watch cooking on TV rather than doing it themselves.

5. Counterspace requirements are more than offset by the size of a conventional oven. And like I said - for those that don't use an oven often, they can take it off the counter and store it in an upper cabinet, base cabinet or pantry.

6. Can you explain casework cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House