Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:53 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrilisa9 View Post
Hi Billy, Do you not think that you paid too much charge for installation of security system because I search in my area and they take not more than $950 and you paid $6,253.95 that was really costly I just want to know which type of security system you installed...
WHERE does it say I paid that for my security system?

Someone was asking how much it would cost THEM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 01:47 PM

592 posts, read 1,478,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
My personal policy would be to review recordings only in the case of a crime or incident as this was your stated goal for your security cameras in the first place.
Absolutely correct.
well that... and if they were drunk enough to slip and fall in the pool. Definitely going to review that video.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:46 AM

3 posts, read 3,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
WHERE does it say I paid that for my security system?

Someone was asking how much it would cost THEM.
Ohh, Sorry Billy for the misunderstanding and I thought you paid that much amount for the security systems.

security systems kuwait

Old 09-15-2015, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 3,081 times
I am interested in opinions on the reliability and quality of the different manufacturers ? Residential home 16 channel/camera with 2 Tb DVR connected to web. Was going with LOREX then saw lots of terrible reviews. I was going with HD 720 cameras. Someone mentioned how important the cables are. So does anyone understand the different cables, cameras and recorders better than me ? haha That would be roughly 95% of people even though I have been researching this for a while now. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
They are invaluable

Old 09-15-2015, 04:24 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
That's just weird.
I have never heard of people complaining there are security cameras in their house.
What are these people up to?
And why do they have it in your head you'll be using this to spy on them?

Old 09-15-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's just weird.
I have never heard of people complaining there are security cameras in their house.
What are these people up to?
And why do they have it in your head you'll be using this to spy on them?
I am 48.
My youngest child is 22.
We are old enough to be kid-free and young enough (in my mind!) to still have fun.
My friends and I like beer. We also like wine.
We like having friends over, relive our college days of laughter, fun and hijinks.
We make fun of each other. We laugh with each other. We say and do things at 12am on the deck that are hilarious at the moment, but we don't want to find on a facebook video next day.

So I don't think my friends would want a video camera with audio pointing at them while hanging out.

I would never do such a thing (post a video)... but as a good host, I don't want to make my friends uncomfortable

I'm sorry that you and others lead such boring lives that you can't comprehend this.

Attached is the actually views from 2 of our cameras. They were positioned to protect the entrances to the back of the house when we were remodeling. They have awesome night vision.

I cant explain the original question of this thread... more than with the comments I posted above.

For others in the thread... I have since taken the cameras down, but I am working on relocating them in a more permanent setup. These were just put in quickly
Attached Thumbnails
Home Security Cameras and Personal privacy-camera.jpg  

Old 09-15-2015, 09:07 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Decorum and not being immature = boring now.

My life is interesting enough that I don't even bother to access the cameras or any of the data unless something actually happened. So anything anyone said or did would be in oblivion because no one's actually going to look at it because our lives are not so boring that we would be watching security camera data.

You can't turn the audio off?

Old 09-16-2015, 05:54 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Eli View Post
I am interested in opinions on the reliability and quality of the different manufacturers ? Residential home 16 channel/camera with 2 Tb DVR connected to web. Was going with LOREX then saw lots of terrible reviews. I was going with HD 720 cameras. Someone mentioned how important the cables are. So does anyone understand the different cables, cameras and recorders better than me ? haha That would be roughly 95% of people even though I have been researching this for a while now. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
If you buy a "POE" (power over ethernet) system, you can place a camera anywhere you can run a cat6 cable. The power goes through the same cable you are sending data through, so you only need one cable to the camera, and that camera cable returns to the recorder. The recorder (DVR or NVR) on a POE system plugs into the wall in one outlet, and it powers all cameras.

If you buy the older style coax cable systems that take coax cables, similar to old TV's, you have to run the coax cable AND a power cable to your cameras. Wherever you place a camera, you have to find a power source nearby. The recorder on a coax system would only power itself, and each camera would need power individually. Also, cameras that use coax cables won't have the quality a POE cat6 connection can have. Try to get a system that has POE and one that says "IP cameras".

Mine are Hikvision cameras, and they are capable of recording 1440p, IF the recorder has the capability to record that much data at once. If you search on Amazon for "Hikvision 2032" bullet cameras or "Hikvision 2332" dome cameras, they are excellent cameras. You will need a Hikvision 7604 NVR recorder (4 cameras) or a Hikvision 7608 recorder (8 cameras), depending on how many you want. Dahua is also an excellent brand. Most of the Lorex, Swann, and similar brands are made by other companies, and they're pretty similar. If you are serious about learning about cameras and installing them yourself, sign up on a CCTV forum and ask questions. You'll find sample footage and other great information. Most cameras around a house will be around 2.8 or 4mm, and that gives a good general viewing area around the property. I have one 12mm lens camera that is zoomed 90 feet away from my house getting license plates as they stop at a stop sign. What size lens is in a camera also matters, and you'll find lens comparisons on YouTube. Whatever camera you're interested in, just type the name of it in YouTube, and you should find information on the quality.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Eli View Post

What we have...
is a Q-see camera system. ordered online. It's a wired system.. Siamese pair of power and video.
Video is coaxcable and power/sound are a thin pair.
Our model is a 8 channel D1 system. 1 TB drive locally, and can share off files remotely.
Its not the best, but for us its been a good compromise of quality, price and flexibility.
I think it was under $299...4 cameras but supports 8 total. 40% off what everyone else was selling same for.

D1 refers to video quality.
Original low quality crappy systems were CIF. 360x240. Ols school cell quality
Then it jumped up to D1 which is 720x480. Basically DVD quality
then 960h... better.
and of course HD is going to take over.
this guy explains well
CIF vs D1 vs 960H vs HD

I grabbed the D1 after seeing sample videos to my liking and seeing a great deal on the system I got.
The camera connectors and format (D1/720) are a standard, so I;ve been able to add aftermarket cameras cheaply. (one example, wanted a more powerful IR night vision on a camera that was watching my yard and grabbed a highly rated generic camera to add in to my existing system)

I try to use the vendor's ready to go cables as they are obviously easier to setup.
but I've also bought raw cable and spliced in my own connectors for loooooong runs. One long run I bought a dedicated but cheap power supply.

The 8channel D1 system I grabbed for about $299. Supports motion detection and internet access.
Nice that my work added wifi so I can check on things from my phone easily.

Quality has been very good, matching the online vid samples or even surpassing.
The night vision of the aftermarket cameras I bought are very very good. Almost like watching in daylight. System has been moved and went through construction, and still holds up

I considered wifi cameras, but you still need to power them. A friend has a model that is battery operated and supposedly lasts for 3-5 mos. it just checks for motion and only sends video when it detects. it goes up to the cloud (where as mine has a local 1 TB HD)

Last edited by bellmark; 10-20-2015 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: updated product details
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House