Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 05:24 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times

Advertisements

Why not have the best of both worlds. We have a jacuzzi tub, stand up shower, double sink, cathedral ceiling, and powder area. Needs a little updating since the home was built in 1996 (golden 90's), but it's solid and a good setup for us.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 06:00 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
I hate combined tub and shower. You need to clean this huge annoying space instead of just the shower, and you need to climb in and out of a tub when you're having a shower. It feels cheap and cramped.

I can see the need in a very small house when you want to squeeze a tub into the only bathroom for children, but those tubs are useless for adults because the drain is so low. An ensuite should be bathless or have a separate bath (with water heater large enough to fill said tub).

Old 01-22-2015, 06:32 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Why not have the best of both worlds. We have a jacuzzi tub, stand up shower, double sink, cathedral ceiling, and powder area. Needs a little updating since the home was built in 1996 (golden 90's), but it's solid and a good setup for us.

Your bathroom looks almost identical to my bathroom....I would prefer the tub NOT be there. I never use it. I cannot see myself ever using it in the future. Heck, I have a hot tub outside on my deck, and I rarely use that either.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:30 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Your bathroom looks almost identical to my bathroom....I would prefer the tub NOT be there. I never use it. I cannot see myself ever using it in the future. Heck, I have a hot tub outside on my deck, and I rarely use that either.
The hot tub I would use, or at least I say I do now lol. We have an above ground pool that sinuses currently and when it's run its course I'll be putting in a hot tub. As for the MB bath we have not used it once since living here for almost 2 years. It takes a while tank of hot water to fill and I'm not a big bath person. Maybe someday but for now I just fill it a bit every few months to run the jets.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:55 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
I like the separation of shower and bath. I rarely take a bath and like having a larger tiled shower.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:52 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
To me, that's not the best of both worlds, it's a huge tub that I wouldn't use taking up space that I'd rather have dedicated to a purpose that actually worked for me. That's a somewhat nicer shower than some of the shower stalls I've seen wedged into a corner in a 5 piece bathroom though, so at least that's something. But that is still far from my personal ideal bathroom. I have seen other bathrooms that incorporate both a tub and a much more luxurious shower, which would be my preference if space and cost were not a factor.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:56 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Ok - I officially hate the new trend of a master bath with soaker tub and separate shower stall.

Agree or disagree?

Personally, I would rather have the square footage that one or the other takes up added to the master bedroom or master closet. Even if it isn't much space, I think having both is a waste of space.

We have a huge shower that both of us can get in together, but we'd both prefer to have a Jacuzzi tub too.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:06 AM

348 posts, read 416,140 times
I hardly ever take a bath and have a really hard time with relaxing and "doing nothing". HOWEVER...
My joints and muscles are often very sore and need a good hot soak.
I lived in a house once that had a jetted super-deep tub and now I am seriously looking at something like that as a separate unit - maybe a spa room with a Jacuzzi or something, while we're dreaming.
For the bathroom? All I really need is a nice big shower. The tiny stalls don't cut it for me - like some, I feel claustrophobic in them.
I'm also not a fan of those sliding doors with the metal edges. Those seem like they'd be hard to keep clean, and introduce one more thing to hurt yourself against if you lose your balance.
My ideal bathroom would have a big shower stall, double vanity, toilet seat, and be connected directly to the master bedroom. The tub would not be there, but would instead be accessible from "shared" spaces.

Also, nice pics, clutchrider! I love that tilework around the tub.

-T.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:26 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
What is the difference between a "shower stall" and a "walk in shower"? I have the standard sized shower with a pivot door that I open and walk in.

Actually a jetted tub is one of the things on my list for our new house. Definitely want one. As for cleaning the tub, if I don't use it, it doesn't get dirty. Maybe because my garden tub is made out of fiberglass.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:42 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
The hot tub I would use, or at least I say I do now lol. We have an above ground pool that sinuses currently and when it's run its course I'll be putting in a hot tub. As for the MB bath we have not used it once since living here for almost 2 years. It takes a while tank of hot water to fill and I'm not a big bath person. Maybe someday but for now I just fill it a bit every few months to run the jets.
Yeah....I used it more when we first got it. Now...never. My kids and their friends LOVE it. That's why I keep it going.

Too cold to get from there to inside in winter. (I actually shut it down now in winter, since it would require too much power!)
Too many mosquitos in the summer.

In spring and fall, just don't want to go out there by myself. Don't want to get in when my kids have friends over. That would be weird. So I never use it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House