Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 08:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,764,588 times

Advertisements

You are camping. Plenty of supplies for that. I think it is pretty cool what you are doing. Just rinse things out as you use them. Coffee cup, rinse with a little water and done. Same with everything. I see no problem with what you are doing. It builds character.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:34 AM

800 posts, read 1,288,110 times
.....in a future episode of snapped.....

Old 01-24-2015, 09:54 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,224,806 times
I worked two jobs in order to save to build a house when I was young too. Now that the OP owns the lot and has electricity and a well there I think she's spinning her wheels trying to problem solve where they're currently living. What I did was to buy a cheap trailer for $2,000 to live in while building. You can find even cheaper old travel trailers for probably $500 to park on the lot for the purposes of cooking, toilet, and showering. Use what money you have now to build the garage right away and use it as a livingroom and bedroom and keep the travel trailer to use for the other systems mentioned.

I also have a concern with regard to the inlaws. Their living habits are foreboding for contact with future children and any influence they may have had on your husband's standards. Their yellow water sounds like their well is too close to their septic system otherwise a bottle of clorox from time to time is the typical treatment to clean up well water. I applaud anyone who tries to bootstrap their lives but I would take a look at the entire picture here to see if this greater scenario is something I'd want to build my life around.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:48 AM

6,893 posts, read 7,523,007 times
I'm not going to bother to read every post, so someone might have said this already -

Use SAND. When I lived in Oklahoma I lived in a poor neighborhood that only got indoor plumbing in the 1970s. I asked the ladies how they had survived, and they said they used sand not only to scrub dishes but also to clean diapers.

As for the whole bathroom thing, why don't you just dig a latrine behind your garage where no one can see it?

Old 01-24-2015, 12:49 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,198,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I worked two jobs in order to save to build a house when I was young too. Now that the OP owns the lot and has electricity and a well there I think she's spinning her wheels trying to problem solve where they're currently living. What I did was to buy a cheap trailer for $2,000 to live in while building. You can find even cheaper old travel trailers for probably $500 to park on the lot for the purposes of cooking, toilet, and showering. Use what money you have now to build the garage right away and use it as a livingroom and bedroom and keep the travel trailer to use for the other systems mentioned.

I also have a concern with regard to the inlaws. Their living habits are foreboding for contact with future children and any influence they may have had on your husband's standards. Their yellow water sounds like their well is too close to their septic system otherwise a bottle of clorox from time to time is the typical treatment to clean up well water. I applaud anyone who tries to bootstrap their lives but I would take a look at the entire picture here to see if this greater scenario is something I'd want to build my life around.
About buying a cheap trailer........that would depend on their township codes......I know in our township they could not do that.

A travel trailer (self contained) Yes.......that would code......for 60 days.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:44 PM

524 posts, read 840,175 times
Since we all want to know what will happen to this couple lets not scare her away by suggesting calling authorities on her or her family. I think she is trying to have as little contact with the in laws as possible.

I really liked the idea of the garage/modular house as a start. If the larger house gets built then she has a rental, if not, though small, it will have the amenities the family will need. If op does have a child it still would be better to have a bathroom in a small space than no running water in a larger shed.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:04 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,837,655 times
Paper plates and plastic utensils are just fine while the latter can be reused by two people w/o any problem after washing.

TV dinners and some low price frozen items can be cooked/heated in a micro....I do this and I'm in a home...saves me doing dishes at my old age.

In the long run paper plates etc are cheaper then heating up any water and as for bathing etc, I used a steel helmet and a wash rag when in Combat.......heck, anything can be done........showers were twice a week.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:23 PM

12,047 posts, read 10,174,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Paper plates and plastic utensils are just fine while the latter can be reused by two people w/o any problem after washing.

TV dinners and some low price frozen items can be cooked/heated in a micro....I do this and I'm in a home...saves me doing dishes at my old age.

In the long run paper plates etc are cheaper then heating up any water and as for bathing etc, I used a steel helmet and a wash rag when in Combat.......heck, anything can be done........showers were twice a week.
I agree about the paper plates - get the cheap ones.

It used to take two canteens of water to wash my long thick hair. I also used my helmet to hold the water. Baby wipes for a refreshing clean up - lol. We were air force and the longest we stayed out was 10 days - no showers, just water carried in the water buffs.

And like MREs, if they eat tv dinners, just eat them from the container they came in and toss it away.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:27 PM

12,047 posts, read 10,174,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
Since we all want to know what will happen to this couple lets not scare her away by suggesting calling authorities on her or her family. I think she is trying to have as little contact with the in laws as possible.

I really liked the idea of the garage/modular house as a start. If the larger house gets built then she has a rental, if not, though small, it will have the amenities the family will need. If op does have a child it still would be better to have a bathroom in a small space than no running water in a larger shed.
If I remember correctly, the house will be built next to the in-laws. I don't see why not just go over there, get over the aversion to their mess, clean as you go and get to know them. They are going to be in their lives, I presume.

Maybe her good habits will rub off. They haven't taken any money since they were taken off of their account, so just look at it as payback. Be nice and friendly. If she is a caregiver for people, what is the big deal about "taking care" of these. They are family.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:21 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,565,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirinafa View Post
No children, unless you count our dogs. We've been living like this for as long as i've known my husband, around three years. And i should explain alittle better, we live in a garage but its a little room upstairs. It has carpet/flooring, ac unit during summer and has a heater year round.

Things are looking up, we bought the land a month ago and just started putting in a fence for the dogs. Starting on foundation in the coming months, after things start drying up.
You should start with a well, septic and electrical service. After that comes the foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.