Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 03:02 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,019,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Suggestion was to get a trailer with running water and toilet facilities. For now you can park it in or next to the garage, and use it to provide washroom, sink, etc.

If you buy a used trailer now, you can move it next to the house once the new garage is finished, and then sell it when you move into the house, get most of your money back.
This is what I don't get. Used trailers that don't even need to be in good enough shape to tow for hundreds of miles can be bought for a few grand or less, and maybe even resold at a profit. That and a decent sized garden shed would be better than living in a garage with no plumbing or kitchen.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:13 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,898,251 times
All the helpful hints ignore the fact that what the OP is doing is illegal and for good reasons. The OP is one mistake away from getting seriously ill and then spreading some disease to other people.

There is something wrong here, very wrong.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:18 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,640,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
All the helpful hints ignore the fact that what the OP is doing is illegal and for good reasons. The OP is one mistake away from getting seriously ill and then spreading some disease to other people.

Yep. Codes exist for a reason.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:22 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,178,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
This doesn't make sense. You are both working so the money you bring in should be put toward the first priority. A minimum standard of living.

What's wrong with doing their dishes too if you get to use their running water to do dishes?

You are getting off topic. She is wanting tips as to make life better. She doesn't need or want you grilling her.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:27 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,178,437 times
For a toilet get a handicap toilet for a room that comes with a removable bowl under it. You can use the removable bowl or get a 5 gallon bucket and put under it with two trash bags in it and then use some kitty litter. Bucket only for the guys and just the 5 gal. bucket underneath for the guys.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:30 PM

21,619 posts, read 12,665,258 times
I think this is called "living off the grid." As far as living in small spaces is concerned, there's a whole trend now; tiny houses or tiny houses on wheels. Utilities are optional. It doesn't sounds like the OPs plan to make a lifetime habit of this? I applaud them for thinking outside the box.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:04 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,916,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirinafa View Post
We pay rent, and im a caregiver for one of my part time jobs.. i clean all day already. To get home with a sink piled high full of crusted, moldy, weeks worth of dishes for 4 other people (not counting my husband and i) I already clean their two bathrooms, mop/sweep/vacuum their floors. Also if i need to do a load of laundry i have to switch over their moldy wet clothes (because they just leave it in the washer) and fold their clothes, or do it like they do and throw it in a big pile on top.

On top of that i have to keep our place clean as well.

Usually i tend to avoid going into the house at all, except to clean it and take a shower/laundry. I used to clean their dishes everyday, but after getting multiple part time jobs i just dont have the time anymore. I'm a clean freak and just walking in makes me go crazy.

Not to mention, no one in that house works. They can find the time to clean up after themselves.
This sounds like the in laws have mental issues with the way you have described things....

Old 01-21-2015, 05:12 PM

18 posts, read 31,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
This is what I don't get. Used trailers that don't even need to be in good enough shape to tow for hundreds of miles can be bought for a few grand or less, and maybe even resold at a profit. That and a decent sized garden shed would be better than living in a garage with no plumbing or kitchen.
We do have a kitchen, i'll have to post pics of where we are living so that you guys can get a better understanding. I really should have said we are living in a loft, above a garage.

Funny you guys suggest that too, my husband sent this to me and we will be looking into it:
Products - Old Hickory Buildings and Sheds

We would convert it, and live on the new property until the house is built. Put in a sink, toilet & shower. It would be smaller then what we are living in now and will cost more in the long run but atleast we'd have running water.

I'm afraid after all is said and done this will set us back abit for building the house. Estimated cost: 15k. Not sure if 15k is worth running water at this point lol. We've been living this way for 3 years, i think we can pull off another year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

Please enlighten me, how would we become ill? What diseases can we get? Please, let me know. I dont see how this is any different then living in a house. You just have to step outside and into a different building to use restroom/shower. I really dont understand what the big deal is. I guess going downstairs could be a hazard, its a bit of a long ways and someone might trip and fall (when they remodeled the main house i did twist my ankle because the guy remodeling failed to mention he removed the last step) Otherwise this place is pretty decent, albit annoying with no running water.

Last edited by kirinafa; 01-21-2015 at 05:55 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 05:14 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,797,739 times
Don't want to question why you guys need to live this way... I'm sure there's good reason at least to you and/or your husband.

How about running a long garden hose from your in-law's house to your place (at least to the yard area around you). Put an open/close valve at your end of the hose. Then you can wash things and let the water run onto the yard. Or you can even rig up a sink and collect the waste water in a bucket that you dump out somewhere periodically.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:17 PM

45,024 posts, read 60,017,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirinafa View Post
We do have a kitchen, i'll have to post pics of where we are living so that you guys can get a better understanding. I really should have said we are living in a loft, above a garage.

Funny you guys suggest that too, my husband sent this to me and we will be looking into it:
Products - Old Hickory Buildings and Sheds

We would convert it, and live on the new property until the house is built. Put in a sink, toilet & shower. It would be smaller then what we are living in now and will cost more in the long run but atleast we'd have running water.

I'm afraid after all is said and done this will set us back abit for building the house.

Please enlighten me, how would we become ill? What diseases can we get? Please, let me know. I dont see how this is any different then living in a house. You just have to step outside and into a different building to use restroom/shower. I really dont understand what the big deal is. I guess going downstairs could be a hazard, its a bit of a long ways and someone might trip and fall (when they remodeled the main house i did twist my ankle because the guy remodeling failed to mention he removed the last step) Otherwise this place is pretty decent, albit annoying with no running water.
If this is a rental in an area that has livability codes your situation violates a bunch of them, no running water or a bathroom being the most prominent. You might run into zoning issues such as an illegal apartment in an area not zoned for them or a permitting issue about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.