Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:09 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
My great aunt's husband got it the same way. He's 80 now and I think he was diagnosed with it about 10 years ago. He's always been a smoker too.
That's even worse. He quit smoking or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 11:21 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That's even worse. He quit smoking or no?
I think he quit a few years ago when his breathing got really bad....uses oxygen now. He's definitely one of those rough "cuss like a sailor" types and I don't think the diagnosis stopped him.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:39 AM

66 posts, read 90,626 times
Again I'm not at all concerned about myself. I've worked in the cabinet building business for quite some time. I'm just overly worried about my daughters health. The basement is finished with ceramic tile floors. Not sure if ceiling is original

Old 01-25-2015, 12:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filly4thirteen View Post
Again I'm not at all concerned about myself. I've worked in the cabinet building business for quite some time. I'm just overly worried about my daughters health. The basement is finished with ceramic tile floors. Not sure if ceiling is original

You and your family will be fine. Just seal up the area. Even if it's not asbestos you dont want crap falling down

Old 01-25-2015, 12:37 PM

Electrician4u....I put a piece of cardboard over the hole in the ceiling after covering the edges with foil tape....as far as the white asbestos tape over the seams on the duct work....what do I do there? I can't get to a lot of it cuz its tucked away....just leave it and don't touch it? I can't help but think little fibers are going thru the duct work and into my daughters room as she sleeps

Old 01-25-2015, 02:39 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Keep it from becoming friable. Try not to disturb unless you have too. It's really not that much of a fuss, I've removed small amounts by wetting it and removing it from around pipes and placing it into market plastic bags. You really don't want to make a big dust cloud with the stuff, even with a respirator.

Just leave it alone or encapsulate it the best you can and go about your life.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:22 PM

The only time I made dust was when I pulled off one of the ceiling tile. When I was removing my bathroom floor. I had to cut the corner with my multi purpose tool and I was throwing that stuff around. I did have everything wet tho and I wiped up the floor and all the floors on my way outside. I'm not even sure if either of those contained asbestos but I'm guessing the chances r good. Neither time was my daughter around. When I ripped up the floor her and my wife were gone and I cleaned up before they got back. When I tore off the ceiling she was upstairs asleep and I was in the basement. Does she seem at risk for developing anything from these exposures or living in this house?

Old 01-25-2015, 03:25 PM

These one fiber can kill websites are driving me nuts....here's the kicker....my wife and sister are respiratory therapist and both say its from long term high exsposure. That i should worry about all the solvents and dust and chemicals I breathe at work.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:29 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
my wife and sister are respiratory therapist and both say its from long term high exsposure. That i should worry about all the solvents and dust and chemicals I breathe at work.
Then you should listen to them and no strangers on the internet.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:02 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Quote:
Wow that was straight to the point. Then y do so many houses have asbestos on it? Most homeowners don't think twice during remodeling as am I if I didn't go online
It is often old houses, not new ones. I don't prior to what year houses no longer had asbestos. Same with lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House