Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:49 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I misread the location of the feeder.

It still won't make any difference. Your yard, assuming you have grass, bushes, and trees has lots to attract rats. Sprinklers and hoses are water sources. Trash cans are food sources.

A rat population will spread out over an area. They won't consider mesh, chicken wire, or similar things to be any sort of impediment. They can wiggle through extremely small holes, dig through dirt, chew through wood, and bite through wire.
Thanks! This is really informative. I didn't think about flowers, trees, water, etc. Good points! I have things to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 12:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
You are thinking a mesh would be a barrier to keep rats from going onto your property. . When young on the ranch, I have seen rats climb ropes to get where they want to go. I have seen them walk along a 2x4 rafter, walking on the bottom not the top, reaching up to get hold of it.

A mesh would just make it easier for rats to climb over your fence.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:11 PM

685 posts, read 720,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
It will not have an effect. So long as there is a reason for them to be there...
What a simple solution, kab0906 and oldtrader is right on. I knew the mesh wouldn't work because we have two pet hooded rats. We take them out to get exercise and be with us (they get attached to people) and I found them on my bathroom counter yesterday. I took both off and watched how they got up (I thought I rat-proofed it). Toni jumped up the cabinet face like she was rock-climbing. I'm trying to figure out how to NOT give them any crevices to grab.

All this means mesh will be used to climb over the fence or chew through it. Rats are extremely smart. That's why you want to remove the source and if you don't have animals running around you want to remain safe, don't use a rat trap (clank on the head), go for havahart and I'd like to say call me and I'll remove it but I'm probably too far . I'm not afraid.

I'll add one more thing. I lived in a house with my parents (45 yrs ago) in Scarsdale, NY with a pond below. The house was classy as was the neighborhood. I put out a rat trap in the fancy-schmansy place and got a rat. It may seem creepy but it works and killing animals is the last thing I want to do but outside rats can't be near you.

Good luck.

Last edited by PeaceOut001; 01-26-2015 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: removed unneeded verbiage

Old 01-26-2015, 12:17 PM

Oh, trust me...I have NO issues killing rats. I just didn't enjoy being surprised by the rat corpse and maggots in my yard. I'd rather keep them out altogether. I see the mesh isn't a good idea.

Thanks, all, for the inupt! I guess if I put my own traps down, I'll have to keep watching them. But wait, I have a very inquisitive dog. I don't think it's a good idea for me to use traps anyway...

Old 01-26-2015, 12:21 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Unfortunately weaving something into a fence will not deter a rat or mouse. A bird feeder with regular food and birds is a rat buffet. Water, shelter of all sorts and potential other food sources nearby make it an ideal environment. Can you get together with neighbors to discuss working on getting rid of them together? Have you contacted your county extension office. Who in your area handles health hazards - health department or animal control?

Old 01-26-2015, 12:23 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Oh, trust me...I have NO issues killing rats. I just didn't enjoy being surprised by the rat corpse and maggots in my yard. I'd rather keep them out altogether. I see the mesh isn't a good idea.

Thanks, all, for the inupt! I guess if I put my own traps down, I'll have to keep watching them. But wait, I have a very inquisitive dog. I don't think it's a good idea for me to use traps anyway...
Are your dog's shots up to date? Live traps are no fun to empty but they work. LOL - I had a skunk in one last summer.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Unfortunately weaving something into a fence will not deter a rat or mouse. A bird feeder with regular food and birds is a rat buffet. Water, shelter of all sorts and potential other food sources nearby make it an ideal environment. Can you get together with neighbors to discuss working on getting rid of them together? Have you contacted your county extension office. Who in your area handles health hazards - health department or animal control?

Regarding contacting the county/health hazards: What an excellent idea! I will look into that.

The neighbor and I aren't on the best terms. Back when we were on good terms (for the first several months or so after I moved in), he and I talked about the feeder/rats. He said that he knows the feeder attracts rats. Oddly, he doesn't care. I asked him to move it to his other fence (away from our shared fence) and he said, "Well then, the rats will just move to the other side." ("Yeah! That's what I want!")

He's not very pleasant, to be honest. He might even be unstable. I try not to engage him anymore. I will just try to keep my corner of the world free from rats/mice. I might be fighting this battle alone. Though, I will research the health hazard option.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Are your dog's shots up to date? Live traps are no fun to empty but they work. LOL - I had a skunk in one last summer.

Yes, she's a 4 month old English Bulldog and she just got her rabies and other puppy shots. She's good.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:12 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
I think you need to stop being so freaked out about rats. There are sensible measures to take to avoid large infestations of rats nesting on your property. Don't keep piles of wood and such laying around. Keep a tight lid on garbage cans. Feeders? I've got a ton of them in my yard and they don't attract rats at all. It depends on what kind of seed is being put out, suet maybe, but plain old seed like sunflowers isn't really going to bring them around in herds.

I live in a very rural area, and have occasionally seen a rat walk across my fence. In 7 years, we've had one or two dead ones in our yard because neighbors bait them and they coincidentally end up dieing on my property. It's never been anything to freak out over. Most likely, they are just passing through. As are the raccoons, mice, snakes, lizards and big spiders you haven't seen yet.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:14 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Live traps if you don't mind getting rid of them. Kill traps are the only way to be sure - I would kill rats. I trap groundhogs on my property and set prong raps for moles. I would like to shoot the groundhogs but have neighbors. All rodents are destructive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House