Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:39 PM

24,493 posts, read 10,825,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
We have a Jenn-aire with gas cooktop and two electric ovens.

The smaller oven is useful for much of what a toaster oven is used for. It will make toast and do pizza, works well for broiling. Because the elements are powerful and close to the food, forget about heating anything in plastic like a tv dinner. It will melt the plastic. It will also brown food too much sometimes.

The larger lower oven is full size. Without the mouse, crumb, and dead appliance drawer under it, it sits low to the floor and requires a little more bending over. Ours also has convection baking, which works fine.

You can bake in both ovens at the same time, but not much else because the current draw would overload most oven electrical outlets.

As long as you recognize the limitations of the smaller oven, you'll like it and save the counter space of a toaster oven.
We had two of them in Birmingham. Love them!!!! But we never had an issue with power.

Why would you heat a TV dinner in an oven? The grates are on rollers and hold a full load at full extension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 12:48 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,857,672 times
You can buy these double ovens for a lot less than $2800 - they have them for about $1k. Slide ins (linked previously) are much more expensive than the ones with the big ugly backing.

I'm thinking about the double oven unit because I want 2 ovens but not a double wall oven. I don't really want the second oven to be a microhood convection oven either.

Home depot has a whole page for these double ovens, starting at $1100

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Appliance...REP_PRC_MODE|0

here are a couple of the cheapest ones - they look OK to me? Anything to avoid here?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool...2?N=5yc1vZc3nl

http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electr...0?N=5yc1vZc3nl

not sure what the extra $1700 gets you other than removing the rear controls.

Er, sorry I missed that the original post was for a single oven WITHOUT burners.

Last edited by joe moving; 01-27-2015 at 12:57 PM..

Old 01-27-2015, 01:47 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
I had one of the Jennair doubles, where the top oven is much smaller than the bottom. We always called the top oven the "pizza oven." Also good for baked potatoes and reheating things you wanted to be crisp (compared to soggy in the microwave).

What the top oven wasn't good for was baking from scratch - poor airflow and the rack is not quite in the middle of the oven space, hence you are, comparatively, much closer to one heat element than the other. It was nice how fast it got up to temp, though.

What I bought the Jennair for, though, was that it was dual fuel (propane cook top, electric ovens) and, 8 years ago when I bought it, the big oven was rated as one of the more "accurate" and "precise" at attaining a temp and keeping it. Plus it would do up to 550° which was great for the "no knead" breads cooked in a big cast iron pot.

What I was less fond off was keeping the black top surrounding the cooking elements clean.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:41 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
We have a Jenn-aire with gas cooktop and two electric ovens.

The smaller oven is useful for much of what a toaster oven is used for. It will make toast and do pizza, works well for broiling. Because the elements are powerful and close to the food, forget about heating anything in plastic like a tv dinner. It will melt the plastic. It will also brown food too much sometimes.

The larger lower oven is full size. Without the mouse, crumb, and dead appliance drawer under it, it sits low to the floor and requires a little more bending over. Ours also has convection baking, which works fine.

You can bake in both ovens at the same time, but not much else because the current draw would overload most oven electrical outlets.

As long as you recognize the limitations of the smaller oven, you'll like it and save the counter space of a toaster oven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
We have a GE Profile in our kitchen and love the thing! We use the smaller oven for most of our cooking and use the bigger one for hams and turkeys on holidays. If you have to have electric it's a tough one to beat.

http://products.geappliances.com/app...pecs/JB870DFBB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
We had two of them in Birmingham. Love them!!!! But we never had an issue with power.

Why would you heat a TV dinner in an oven? The grates are on rollers and hold a full load at full extension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
You can buy these double ovens for a lot less than $2800 - they have them for about $1k. Slide ins (linked previously) are much more expensive than the ones with the big ugly backing.

I'm thinking about the double oven unit because I want 2 ovens but not a double wall oven. I don't really want the second oven to be a microhood convection oven either.

Home depot has a whole page for these double ovens, starting at $1100

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Appliance...REP_PRC_MODE|0

here are a couple of the cheapest ones - they look OK to me? Anything to avoid here?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool...2?N=5yc1vZc3nl

http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electr...0?N=5yc1vZc3nl

not sure what the extra $1700 gets you other than removing the rear controls.

Er, sorry I missed that the original post was for a single oven WITHOUT burners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I had one of the Jennair doubles, where the top oven is much smaller than the bottom. We always called the top oven the "pizza oven." Also good for baked potatoes and reheating things you wanted to be crisp (compared to soggy in the microwave).

What the top oven wasn't good for was baking from scratch - poor airflow and the rack is not quite in the middle of the oven space, hence you are, comparatively, much closer to one heat element than the other. It was nice how fast it got up to temp, though.

What I bought the Jennair for, though, was that it was dual fuel (propane cook top, electric ovens) and, 8 years ago when I bought it, the big oven was rated as one of the more "accurate" and "precise" at attaining a temp and keeping it. Plus it would do up to 550° which was great for the "no knead" breads cooked in a big cast iron pot.

What I was less fond off was keeping the black top surrounding the cooking elements clean.

That's what I was looking to hear. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2015, 09:11 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
"What I was less fond off was keeping the black top surrounding the cooking elements clean."

Oh, yeah! Boy do I know what you mean. I finally figured it out how to clean the black top, after trying a bunch of things including single edge razor blades. Are you ready?...

Non-fuming spray-on oven cleaner. Spray it on, let it sit for at least 90 minutes, re-moistening areas where it starts to dry out, wipe the bulk off with paper towels (using gloves) and then working the harder parts with a plastic netting scrubbie or the plastic netting a frozen turkey comes in. Stay away from the controls and keep kiddies and pets away, but the black porcelain is fine with short term use of oven cleaner. It will remove just about any burned on grease or food.

Why use an oven for a tv dinner? Back in the old days - 1950s through early 1970s, not only did most tv dinners come in aluminum, but when cooked in an oven they actually tasted like real food.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:02 AM

587 posts, read 915,429 times
I love mine! I have an old GE with side by side ovens. The secondary oven is about 10 inches wide. I love being able to warm something up or melt cheese on bread without having to heat up the larger oven. It heats up much more quickly since it is so much smaller than the main oven. I have also used both at once when preparing large dinners.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:53 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Viking Professional TurboChef 30" W. Double Oven from Viking Range Corp.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:44 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
I love mine! I have an old GE with side by side ovens. The secondary oven is about 10 inches wide. I love being able to warm something up or melt cheese on bread without having to heat up the larger oven. It heats up much more quickly since it is so much smaller than the main oven. I have also used both at once when preparing large dinners.
My mother had a stove like that. The small one got used to cook dinner rolls, but the narrow width prevented it from being used for many other things. The real problem with that particular stove was that it had minimal insulation and used thin sheet metal. IIRC, it wasn't too long before it got replaced.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:11 AM

Has potential!

Old 01-29-2015, 10:41 AM

Harry chickpea

No, I do not remember TV dinners in aluminum pans as I did not get here until the 80s.

Cleaning the top took soap and water. Just clean as soon as possible.

We originally had Frigidaire with two ovens. Lots of problems, two replacements later the purchase price minus tax was refunded. Something about an issue with the motherboard during self cleaning. Some cabinets were also replaced by Frigiadaire as they were burned.

We looked into Viking but it was too industrial for the open kitchen.

BTW - we found it extremely cost effective to keep buying appliances with a Birmingham company including shipping to Texas. I will gladly share the name via PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House