Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:58 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times

Advertisements

Caoimhin, in defense of your mould, would you live in a mould infested home for a few years? Would you raise your children there? How safe is your $100k equity? Willing to set up a surgical suite there when you need a procedure?

Previous post, you claimed mold survivor was a hazard to your health. You're not a victim if you've made the personal attack on her. No doubt you're intelligent, but fair or innocent isn't how I'd characterize your demeanor. Personal attacks don't contribute to the facts you've presented. Wholesale ignoring the % population who do experience problems negates your point, and feeds the same mob mentality you identify as irrational hypocritically in your favor.

You cannot help people you hold in contempt, and your intention aren't to help. Since self awareness was already suggested, at this point what motive is left beyond manipulating people for the sake of appearing to win an argument with five dollar words? You can't apologize so you continue to compensate with more fixations about another? Truth stands on it's own merits. You've got enough of it to not resort to moldy corollaries

ALA http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35369 (broken link)

CDC Mold: General Information: Facts About Mold and Dampness | CDC APRHB

The CDC is saying they don't know yet. I don't know why you can't admit your limitations. Once upon a time science couldn't prove the world was round, until the day it could. Cartesian thought would keep this world intellectually flat forever.

The whole body of evidence you've presented concludes one thing: myopically fixating on a specific strain of mold has yielded no results that explain why people DO get sick in moldy environments.

Time to widen the scope, and alternately focus more closely on people like mold survivor who do exhibit quantifiable medical symptoms vs healthy populations. Unfortunate fact of human evolution is some of us wind up being the canary in a coal mine to serve as evidence for what is unhealthy. How many non smokers had to die before radon was identified as the second leading cause of lung cancer? Hopefully, science can be completed without bias or contempt for them, otherwise it stops being science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 08:39 AM

45 posts, read 483,841 times
Good morning, Harborlady:

Comment:
Caoimhin, in defense of your mould, would you live in a mould infested home for a few years?

Response:
Yes. Over the years, many people have publically challenged me to live in their supposedly “toxic mould” homes. I publically accepted every single challenge. Today, not a single challenger has ever followed through and then allowed me to live in their home.

Comment:
Would you raise your children there?

Response:
Yes, of course. EVERY home, EVERY home, without exception contains mould. There is not a single home on the planet earth that does not contain mould. Consider this - I am sitting in my office right now. My office is in an extremely dry part of the country and at an altitude of 9,000 feet and has NEVER had any kind of moisture problem or mould problem ever. In my office (24’ x 20’), where I am this morning, writing to you, is a carpet. If I collected, say, four (4 inch by 4 inch) samples of the carpet, the lab report would range from about 25,000 colony forming units of mould (CFU) per gram to about 100,000 CFU/g depending on where the sample is collected. Therefore, the carpet alone in my clean (although messy) office contains somewhere between 1.2 million and 4.8 million culturable spores of various normal, ordinary everyday “toxic moulds” – Let’s say the spores in my area have a viability factor of about 50% (that is about half of the spores will be viable and grow under good growth conditions,) that means that for every culturable spore, there is also an unculturable spore that has gone undetected by the lab. Therefore, the nice clean, dry carpet in my small office contains somewhere between 2 million and 10 million spores of normal, ordinary everyday “toxic moulds” -and that is pretty normal for Colorado’s dry high country.

Since the ceiling in my office is 8 feet, that means that the volume of air in my office is about 109 cubic meters. At the moment, outside it is bloody freezing (10 °F) and the outdoor spore count is about 20 to 200 mould spores per cubic meter of air (in the summer time, in my dry climate, it is about 5,000 to 15,000 spores per cubic meter of air). Normal, clean, dry, healthy houses in my area, during this time of year have an average spore concentration of about 450 spores per cubic meter of air. Therefore, the air in my small office this morning contains about 49,000 mould spores (I have a sedentary breathing rate of about 0.85 cubic meters of air per minute)- so I am inhaling about 382 “toxic” mould spores each hour (about the time it will take me to complete my response to you).

Now, the walls of my office are ordinary painted drywall. So there is about 200 to 12,000 viable mould spores locked into the paper matrix of the drywall, per square inch of drywall (CFU/in2) (let’s just call it 500 CFUs/in2 to make the calculations easy).

Now, if I subtract out the doors and windows, that means there is about 148,900 square inches of drywall, equating to about 74 million spores locked into the drywall matrix, (just waiting for water).

OK – let’s see where we are: About 5 million spores in the carpet, 50 thousand spores in the air and 74 million mould spores in the walls.

And that is just my normal, healthy, clean office environment (thank goodness it’s not summertime, because I keep my windows open because I like fresh air which contains several thousands of spores per cubic meter, which means that in the summer, in my office, I breath about 100 spores of “toxic mould” every MINUTE). ALL houses have mould; ALL construction timber contains mould and ALL basements have mould. Every building in the country has mould. Every building in the nation has tens of thousands to billions of the so-called “toxic mould” spores. We also know that in virtually every house that is constructed, timbers and composite materials will be installed with mould already on those surfaces (sometimes actively growing colonies covering many square feet), and we know that as the exposed wood is subjected to the elements as the house is constructed, more will grow on those surfaces.

Therefore, every parent you know raises their children in homes that contain moulds. Every child that has ever been raised in an home has been raised in an home that contains mould.

Take a look at the following photo:
http://forensic-applications.com/mou...Stachyetal.jpg

Most of the mould in that photo is the notorious “toxic black mould” Stachybotrys atra. This photo is an example of an apartment I was asked to assess. This wall, in the bathroom, was indicative of the walls throughout the apartment. In this home were five small children ages infancy to six years old. The family had lived there, under these (awful) conditions since the birth of the oldest. It may surprise you that the entire family, including the children were very healthy

Comment:
How safe is your $100k equity?

Response:
I have no idea to what you are referring.

Comment:
Willing to set up a surgical suite there when you need a procedure?

Response:
To date, EVERY emergency room, and EVERY operating theater that I have assessed for moulds, has contained tens of thousands to millions of mould spores. I would turn the question around and challenge you to find a single hospital room, ER or operating theater that is devoid of mould.

Comment:
Previous post, you claimed mold survivor was a hazard to your health.

Response:
I have never made any such statement. You have simply made that up.

Comment:
You're not a victim if you've made the personal attack on her.

Response:
I have made no personal attacks on anyone. Again, you are mistaken.

Comment:
No doubt you're intelligent, but fair or innocent isn't how I'd characterize your demeanor.

Response:
It is precisely because I am fair that some people don’t like my comments. Many people, especially, “mould survivors” don’t like the truth.

Comment:
Personal attacks don't contribute to the facts you've presented.

Response:
I’m glad that you now acknowledge that I don’t make personal attacks.

Comment:
Wholesale ignoring the % population who do experience problems negates your point, and feeds the same mob mentality you identify as irrational hypocritically in your favor.

Response:
I agree, and that is why I would never do such a thing – never have done such a thing, and I’m not likely to ever in the future.

Comment:
You cannot help people you hold in contempt, and your intention aren't to help.

Response:
I hold no-one in contempt, and the rest of your comment is a personal attack; it is foundationless, and you are quite arrogant and presumptuous to claim to know my intentions.

Comment:
Since self awareness was already suggested, at this point what motive is left beyond manipulating people for the sake of appearing to win an argument with five dollar words? You can't apologize so you continue to compensate with more fixations about another?

Response:
Your statement is rhetoric and hyperbole without any facts to support it. How could it be answered?

Comment:
Truth stands on it's own merits.

Response:
I agree. That is why my posts are valuable information. Since I present the facts, and the posts stand on their own merit.

Comment:
Links-

Response:
By referencing links to documents without context; documents that you may or may never have read, is just silly.

Comment:
The CDC is saying they don't know yet.

Response:
Simply not true. As I referenced elsewhere, here is what the CDC says:

Both groups of reviewers concluded that the available evidence does not substantiate the [earlier] reported epidemiologic associations—between household water damage and AIPH or between household fungi and AIPH —or any inferences regarding causality.

I also have other things the CDC says, if you are interested. Perhaps you should read some of their stuff sometime.

Comment:
I don't know why you can't admit your limitations.

Response:
I don’t know why you hold that opinion in the absence of any evidence. Similarly, I don't know why you can't admit your limitations. You attempt to argue points of epidemiology when clearly you have no expertise in the matter; you attempt to argue toxicology when clearly you have no expertise in the matter; you attempt to argue mycology when clearly you have no expertise in the matter; and you even attempt to know the minds of other people when clearly you have no knowledge of that either. Perhaps you are projecting, since you seem to commit most of your personal criticisms against others.

I would challenge you to support you comment by pointing to just one incidence that supports your opinion.

You seem to make a lot of statements that just simply are not true.

Comment:
Once upon a time science couldn't prove the world was round, until the day it could. Cartesian thought would keep this world intellectually flat forever.

Response:
Again – simply not true. You statement indicates you either fail to understand science or fail to understand history.

Comment:
The whole body of evidence you've presented concludes one thing: myopically fixating on a specific strain of mold has yielded no results that explain why people DO get sick in moldy environments.

Response:
Again, simply not true. Rather the opposite – your fixation on ignoring facts prevents you from accepting factual conclusions. Throughout your own post, you fabricate vacuous foundations and then try to build an house of cards upon that foundation.

In fact, you cannot provide me with any studies, NOT ONE, devoid of confounders, wherein the study has shown that generally people get sick in mouldy environments. You cannot do it – because it simply isn’t true, and therefore, it cannot be demonstrated. Again, you seem to just make up things as you go along, with disregard for facts.

Comment:
Time to widen the scope, and alternately focus more closely on people like mold survivor who do exhibit quantifiable medical symptoms vs healthy populations.

Response:
I seriously doubt that you have any knowledge of “mold survivor’s” medical history, and (again) you have simply made up a foundationless fact. I do not see where “mold survivor” has provide ANY quantifiable medical symptoms. (Ignoring the fact that symptoms are not generally quantifiable at all - you are confusing symptoms with signs).

Again, you make up a “fact” that isn’t a fact at all, and then try to build an argument on it. Based on your post, you seem to make an habit of this, since you have repeated this same habit several times in your post.

Comment:
Unfortunate fact of human evolution is some of us wind up being the canary in a coal mine to serve as evidence for what is unhealthy. How many non smokers had to die before radon was identified as the second leading cause of lung cancer?

Response:
As epidemiologists, we have little other options but to study what is before us - diseased states included. What else would you suggest? And your comment also contains fallacious argument. You seem to like to believe in popular myths. In fact, there is no evidence to support your argument that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer. I would be happy to explore this with you on a new thread.

Comment:
Hopefully, science can be completed without bias or contempt for them, otherwise it stops being science.

Response:
Based on your post, I don’t think you have a very good notion of what is or is not science.

I’m glad for the opportunity to clarify these points for you.

Cheers!
Caoimhín P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Last edited by Caoimhín P. Connell; 02-17-2008 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Change the color of some text.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:49 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,816,953 times
Excellent, excellent post, Caoimhín.

Illegitimis non carborundum

Old 02-17-2008, 01:00 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
deny making this statement?
"Engaging “toxic mould victims” can be hazardous to one’s health, since challenging their “illness” is to challenge their very belief system; as a result, myself and other researchers have experienced death threats and very graphic descriptions of how we (and our children) will be treated by certain “toxic mould” victims – such is the nature of the illness."

Sorry, beligerent verbosity doesn't cut it with me.
You've blatantly ignored facts that appear contrary to your beliefs, when in fact those statistics should only encourage science to push ahead getting to the true root causes (which likely has nothing to do with the mold in question, but the environmental breeding ground for a host of others).
My own theories are irrelevant, and your personal attacks on anyone who disagrees with your attitude are ridiculous. You choose to argue with ALA & CDC conclusions that actively maintain warnings, knock yourself out.

I have little tolerance for people who abuse my attention. Wonder why you'd bother with a blog if you're convinced you know everything before you got here. Have a nice day talking to yourself with 'yes' men.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:17 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
deny making this statement?
"Engaging “toxic mould victims” can be hazardous to one’s health, since challenging their “illness” is to challenge their very belief system; as a result, myself and other researchers have experienced death threats and very graphic descriptions of how we (and our children) will be treated by certain “toxic mould” victims – such is the nature of the illness."

Sorry, beligerent verbosity doesn't cut it with me.
You've blatantly ignored facts that appear contrary to your beliefs, when in fact those statistics should only encourage science to push ahead getting to the true root causes (which likely has nothing to do with the mold in question, but the environmental breeding ground for a host of others).
My own theories are irrelevant, and your personal attacks on anyone who disagrees with your attitude are ridiculous. You choose to argue with ALA & CDC conclusions that actively maintain warnings, knock yourself out.

I have little tolerance for people who abuse my attention. Wonder why you'd bother with a blog if you're convinced you know everything before you got here. Have a nice day talking to yourself with 'yes' men.
Did you notice CPC feels the "need" to post credentials and then add a disclaimer? This is typically a trick of a snake oil salesperson at best. LOL

Last edited by Driller1; 02-17-2008 at 01:36 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 08:08 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Default Please stay on Topic and Refrain from Personal Attacks

To all the Posters... Thank You for contributing

Please stay on topic and refrain from personal attacks to keep this thread open...

Ultraruner

Old 02-25-2008, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 16,409 times
Default Does anyone read a whole post?

I dare ANY ONE of you "EXPERTS" to take the food that you shove down your GARBAGE DISPOSAL, and let it pile up in your livingroom for three months, ADD WATER, leave it unbagged and untouched, and tell me that you DIDN'T get sick.

I'm NOT talking about ordinary mold from just moisture.... IT WAS FROM ACCUMULATING FOOD WASTE IN A WALL..........

READ THE WHOLE POST *Personal Attack Removed*

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-25-2008 at 03:01 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,943 times
Default You didn't read what?

Originall quoted by Connell: "Kdog is correct in that some of the information presented by Mold Boy is disingenuous in that it is not a reflection of good science and is presented in a manner that is devoid of foundation."

Actually, the information is well documented in scientific journals and on the web. Your info ends up coming from pharmaceutical companies and those who would further their cause. See the difference?

Connell: "Paragraphs 2, 3 and the single sentenced paragraph 4, of Mold Boy’s post are technically correct. But then Mold Boy leaves the realm of known and accepted science and dives deep into the realm of playing to one’s emotional needs instead of relying on known facts."

I love that..."accepted science." It's interesting to note that, there are many theories in science that are accepted today. Problem is: most of them are just plain BUNK. Just because some pharmaceutical company wrote an article in a medical journal, doesn't make it the truth. Remember that, people. They DO NOT have your best interest at heart...just their stock-holders!

My new favorite quote by Connell: “If extremely low concentrations of mycotoxins result in physiological responses, then why doesn’t someone being exposed to residential moulds producing penicillin receive high enough doses to cure them of illnesses that are cured by penicillin?

First off, penicillin is a fungus. And, fungi do not cure anything! In fact, fungi are shown to cause many of today's deadliest illnesses like cancer, and diabetes. Re-check your data, Connell...and I don't mean the propaganda your employer gave you when you hired on.

More from Connell: "There are many claims that are not validated and much unfounded hysteria concerning stachybotrytoxicosis – However, those are fanned by the very posts such as Mold Boy who muddies the waters with pseudoscientific mumbo jumbo that sounds like he might know something. The rest of his post (which I didn’t read in detail) sounds like new-age gobble goop, which I just don’t buy into."

He didn't read the entire post? Who else saw that coming?

And, again: "However, even Stachybotrys atra, which is probably the most maligned and feared indoor mould, is not as "toxic" as the media portray. The trichothecene mycotoxin which has given Stachybotrys a bad name is produced by only about a third of the species of Stachybotrys. Furthermore, Mold Boy demonstrates his lack of knowledge in mould related issues by failing to note that the mycotoxins under discussion are not always produced by the Stachybotrys that is present. That is, one may have massive growths of Stachybotrys, and no mycotoxins of interest. Mold Boy doesn’t realize that just because an mould is present, doesn’t mean the mycotoxin is also present." Connell

Everybody should know by now, that mold IS NOT toxic! No arguement there. The poster obviously wants to make a dramatic statement to further support his propaganda, by misleading you good people. Is he convincing? Not in the least.

More from the famed Connell: "Mold Boy specifically mentions the mould Stachybotrys atra, but fails to mention that as of today, (February 15, 2008), there has not one (not ONE) single validated case of Stachybotrys induced toxicomycosis as a result of residential exposures to this mould."

Connell would do well to remember that, the pharmaceutical and insurance companies that now RUN the medical community, have NOTHING to gain by allowing doctors to diagnose "mycotoxicosis". They don't manufacture food OR supplements, which are considered the proper treatment for this condition. Therefore, they can't make millions of dollars!

Connell actually supports mold survivor's situation with this quote:
"The mycotoxins in question are only produced under very specific stress conditions. Furthermore, the mycotoxins, when it is produced, is only produced in the spores and the spores are not readily removed from the main organism. It takes an unusual amount of mechanical effort to make the spores become airborne." Bad grammar aside, he is right!

Ask yourself this question: "If I had mold growing and thriving in my wall for 4 months straight, and it was released from the wall through mechanical means (ie. a dehumidifier with high-speed blower), and the resulting mycotoxins forced into my lungs through a ducted delivery method, would I become ill?"
Answer: Most assuredly. If you find "blck mold" growing on the bathroom floor, will it cause you to become ill? No.
Case closed.

I don't support the media, and never will! They are famous for blowing issues out of proportion.

If you have questions regarding mold in your home, contact a local health department or EPA rep. DO NOT contact your insurance company...unless you're willing to submit to a psycological exam. hehe

Last edited by Mold Boy; 02-25-2008 at 04:47 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,580 times
Default Toxic Mold

This toxic mold bit is not just psychological as some would think, yet I do not deny having a heightened awareness of it since I am highly sensitive to mold. I have been through the toxic mold bit once and I am now in the middle of it again. The first time was a crawl space that filled up with water every spring and this time (different house) a bathroom that was remodeled because of mold which ended up having a leak due to incorrect support of the tub and incomplete sealing of the faucet face plate combined with a broken drain pipe under the kitchen sink and frost melting off of the chimney pipe and draing down through the ceiling in the living space. This time the mold is Aspergillus and Clodisporium each at 800 spores/m^3 in the living space and 8000 spores/m^3 in the crawl space with visible mold growing in closets and on flooring which took off at the beginning of the Spring melt in April. This is an old leaky log home, but the damp conditions set the mold off.

I am highly allergic to mold which I have been tested for. Fortunately, the rest of my family is not. The first time this happened I lost over 20 pounds, was chronically fatigued, and spent a year in recovery. This time I have lost 25 pounds in about 3 months down from 205 to 180 (not much for a 6'6" tall guy) and I am even more extremely fatigued and achy all over with brain fog and all that fun stuff. This sent me into thinking I had some severe illness which in fact I do (exposure to toxic mold). The fact is that some people are detoxifiers and others are not. I do not deny that some people have a fear of mold. I certainly have a heightened awareness of it since I know that I am allergic to it. The problem is that some people cannot really smell the must and others can which makes it difficult when your spouse is not sensitive to it and can't smell what you smell.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:21 PM

7 posts, read 34,974 times
Everyone seems to concentrate on indoor mold levels as a source of illness. My home has mold as everyone else's does, but i believe my problem stems from extremly high outdoor levels which occur mostly in the fall here in the northeast. How come no one seems to talk about outdoor levels as a source of mold related illness ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House