Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:14 AM

9,776 posts, read 7,028,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Oops.

But, if that product dies, does that mean the end of the warranty? That is why I am always leery of them. Yeah, I am a bit cynical.

Cat
In the plumbing fixture industry, the lifetime warranty is extended only to the original purchaser/installation. Since Americans move on average every 5 years, that is the planned warranty of the product. Of course those who don't move get a longer warranty but the manufacturer knows that those folks are pretty rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 04:52 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
As with most things documentation is your friend.

I've installed a lot of Moen... even specified Moen for the new Hospital Wing...

Keeping meticulous records has been a godsend.

For rentals and personal use I bag the receipt/instructions in a zip lock and thumbtack high up under the cabinet... no need to look.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:52 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,550,197 times
Lifetime warranty is just a gimmick to lure buyers. A real quality product has a small warranty like 1 year because they put their money into r&d and manufaturing quality. A company that can't lure people in by quality uses that lifetime warranty hook. Who cares about a warranty. I don't want to replace something many times regardless if it's free.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:12 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
I keep my cars a very long time... lifetime mufflers and batteries sure have paid off in spades for me...

In my life I have bought one garden hose... lifetime warranty... over the years it has been replaced several times...

Old 09-28-2016, 07:39 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,374,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Lifetime warranty is just a gimmick to lure buyers. A real quality product has a small warranty like 1 year because they put their money into r&d and manufaturing quality. A company that can't lure people in by quality uses that lifetime warranty hook. Who cares about a warranty. I don't want to replace something many times regardless if it's free.
Perhaps there is some magical world where manufacturers make such perfect products that they don't need to warrant them. But that's not the world I live in . Also - when it comes to plumbing things - they come into contact with water. Which tends to make things fail faster than things that don't come into contact with water. Especially if your water is on the "nasty" side.

I have in general been *very* happy with my Moen fixtures. And - considering that I have a whole house full of them - have had to replace relatively few. Most replacements have been for little parts (like porcelain handles on my Monticello faucets - which just plain wore out after 15+ years - I was planning to buy them but the customer service rep said they were under warranty and would be replaced without charge). Another thing Moen has done a couple of times is to replace whole fixtures when a needed part is now unavailable (that can happen after 20 years or so).

I honestly wish that every company I dealt with was as good as Moen. Note that unlike the "old days" - when things like major appliances came with 5-10-20 year warranties - well you can buy a pricey appliance these days and the manufacturer's warranty is only a year! Which is ridiculous when you're talking about a refrigerator - an oven - or similar. We always buy extended warranties these days on major appliances. Robyn

Old 09-28-2016, 11:21 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,495,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellsfloto View Post
I have some moan products in my bath. I had some rust issues and some cartridge issues. I called and they denied because I bought the home in 2012. They say they give a lifetime but then look to set any hurdle to make it so they can deny the claim. I think your better off paying half price and just replacing it when you need to on budget brands.

Moan is the Chinese knockoff - of course they won't help. You should have bought Moen.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,629 times
Pictures of my rusting Moen faucets are on a Facebook page called My Moen Faucets. I texted them copies of my loan and deed documents so I proved that I have owned the house longer than they have made the faucets. During the Atlanta housing building boom my house was zoned into an elementary school that was 50% illegal immigrant as the apartment complexes that were built for the internet programmers in the 1990's were then rented to Mexican construction workers. I rented my house to an older couple and moved 3 miles away so my daughter could attend Simpson Elementary School which had no apartments zoned to it. When they sent out the two Monticello unplated faucets they sent them to my other address. They said that if my house had ever been rented then the warranty was invalid. They changed their warranty policy May, 2016.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,705 times
My house have rebuild in1998, I put in mostly moen product .
My tub spout is sprays out water when the shower is on. I just emailed them today and they're going to send me a new one, this is already my second. JJ

Old 06-01-2021, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 595 times
Default Specific wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
How is it that all of you KNOW that the OP ISN'T the original owner from this statement-
???

How do you know the house wasn't built in 2012?
It doesn't matter whether he's the original owner of the house. For purposes of this warranty, as written, he has to be the original purchaser of the faulty faucets, and have a receipt in his name to prove it. We confidently infer that he didn't buy the faucets himself from his original wording: "I bought the HOME in 2012". If he "bought the HOME", it presumably already came with faucets that had been purchased and installed by a builder.

Now, had he said "I BUILT the house", then we might ask whether he purchased the faucets himself; but, since he didn't phrase it like that, it's safe to assume that (1) somebody else bought them; therefore, (2) he wouldn't have receipts in his name for the individual faucets (which Moen is probably counting on, so that they can get around having to honor most of their lifetime warranties)...

Old 06-01-2021, 10:06 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
I have never had any trouble with Moen honoring the warranty of their products. If they ask to have the defective cartridge shipped to them, I so ad they send me a new one, but most times they don't ask me to ship it back to them. By the way two of the shower valves ate my home are over 20 years old, and Moen still honor the warranty for the cartridges only since the valves are just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House