Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 12:23 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times

Advertisements

If you're paying for it you may as well go with the cheap solution (set your own traps) first. Then if that fails, bring in the pros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:39 PM

8 posts, read 8,344 times
Alrighty, thanks. Two more questions. The attic seems to be isolated from the other house so I am pretty certain the rodents are isolated to my property. Should I still ask my neighbor about it? Secondly, I have never walked around the attic, it seems like there is some insulation / foam on the floor. Can I walk on that without damaging the ceilings?

It also seemed to me that there might be just one or two rodents (I'm hoping only 1 so they cannot reproduce). I am going to try setting the traps soon and checking the results before I call the exterminators. What do you guys think of this trap?

Amazon.com: Rat Zapper Ultra Rodent Trap RZU001: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Old 02-05-2015, 08:57 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
I set one of those plastic jaw traps and an old wooden one next to each other. The plastic one had the bait eaten out of it, the wood one had a dead rat in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
Wow, that's odd. I wonder how he managed to get the bait out from under the trigger without setting it off? I've never had that happen, and I've been using these daily for years now. I raise chickens and quail and they're a constant magnet for mice and rats. I've been battling them forever years and personally, I've found the plastic jaw traps to be far superior to the wooden ones.
I've never had rats, but I've done as much as I can do to erradicate (yeah right!) mice from the outer perimeter of my home so they are not tempted to enter my home. What I find is sometimes the peanut butter can get UNDER the trigger mechanism of the plastic traps, effectively "gluing" it open. So make sure there is no peanut butter under the trigger plate. I use a combination of standard wooden, plastic snap, and 5 gallon bucket traps, all with success. Total trapped mouse count since September is about 50 DEAD MICE!! Woohoo!

Old 02-05-2015, 08:58 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housenewbie View Post
Alrighty, thanks. Two more questions. The attic seems to be isolated from the other house so I am pretty certain the rodents are isolated to my property. Should I still ask my neighbor about it? Secondly, I have never walked around the attic, it seems like there is some insulation / foam on the floor. Can I walk on that without damaging the ceilings?

It also seemed to me that there might be just one or two rodents (I'm hoping only 1 so they cannot reproduce). I am going to try setting the traps soon and checking the results before I call the exterminators. What do you guys think of this trap?

Amazon.com: Rat Zapper Ultra Rodent Trap RZU001: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Ah, yes, the old wishful thinking of just 1 or 2.....when you see one, you likely have 10. If you see 2, 20.....

Rats are VERY smart, so GOOD LUCK!!

Old 02-05-2015, 10:43 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Odds are the attic dividers between units are not rodent proof. It only takes a quarter sized hole for rats to get through and they will chew through solid wood if they need to. I had one chew through engineered hardboard which is really strong.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:43 PM

8 posts, read 8,344 times
Ok - another issue. The rats / mice have chewed on my electric cables in the attic. I need to have them fixed because it's tripping the breakers in other rooms. How do I know that I've effectively eliminated the rats? Also - when I have the electric cables replaced, can I put them in some sort of rat proof boxes that'll make it impossible for the rats to chew on the wires?

PeachSalsa, thanks for scarring me. I really hope that what I heard was a single rodent. If there were many I would certainly hear more scurrying noises from all directions.

If I have to get the attic rat / mice proofed, I would need to call the pros. Should I just call them now and save myself some trouble?

Old 09-08-2015, 05:25 AM

61 posts, read 137,103 times
To confirm a rat infestation setup, a rat traps at your attics. This is the best option to get off the rats and let to know is there any present or not.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:35 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housenewbie View Post
The attic seems to be isolated from the other house so I am pretty certain the rodents are isolated to my property. Should I still ask my neighbor about it? Secondly, I have never walked around the attic, it seems like there is some insulation / foam on the floor. Can I walk on that without damaging the ceilings?

Walk only on the beam or rafter or whatever it is called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House