Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a housecleaner?
Yes 63 46.67%
No, and don't want one 37 27.41%
No, but would if the budget allowed 29 21.48%
Other 6 4.44%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:56 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Depends on where you live for the price of cleaning
It also depends on what kind of business the cleaning business is - a licensed, bonded business paying wages and taxes or a private individual working for cash under the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 10:19 AM

88 posts, read 159,070 times
I have a service that comes every two weeks. I'm too busy to want to clean. I still do my yard work though, but I would love to have a lawn service come or even a neighborhood kid to take that off of me too.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:37 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Ours comes every other week and she has saved my marriage. *lol* She is absolutely worth every penny we pay her.

We still do minor cleaning between her visits - I'll vacuum the carpets, or have the robo-vacuum do the hardwoods, and we'll clean the bathrooms as needed. I also make the kids clean their rooms, and we do laundry (obviously).

We don't keep a messy house, but it's nice to know that like clockwork it'll be cleaned to spit-shine every two weeks.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:40 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
I did for years when my schedule was more normal. My schedule is too irregular now--I go between houses at totally different intervals throughout the year, and I don't like having people come while I'm away.

But I'm not very messy, so keeping up with my own clutter is pretty easy.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:47 AM

377 posts, read 670,461 times
Yes and this is one thing I will not live without. Even when I got divorced and had a substantially downgraded budget this is still one expense that I always justified.

I always go with private cleaners who are thorough yet pretty inexpensive. I do this because my time is more important and worth more to me than money. I feel my time is more valuable spent in other manners even if those other manners consist of me lying on my couch watching netflix for 15 hours... ha

Old 02-05-2015, 01:18 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
no, but it is just my wife and I and our dog. No kids. We don't generate enough of a mess or dirty clothes to worry about needing a housecleaner/housekeeper.
I have a LOT of animals and clean all the time, but I'm retired. When I lived alone, things just didn't get dirty. I would say an hour or so a week of cleaning would be it. Now yard work, no thanks. I will pay someone to do that.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:15 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
I have a friend who graduated from college, was looking towards a bright future....when suddenly she started having some serious neurological issues. spasms, facial twitches, stuttering, and these weird muscle clenching spasms. Then forgetting where she was, when it was, etc.

Her spouse broke up with her, and she was looking at homelessness while ill with something fairly serious.

So..I took her in, she is getting medical help now, but....its not looking good because a lot of the possibilities left that they are eliminating...are almost all lethal. In the meantime...she is our live in housekeeper, and cook.

So far so good.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:33 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
me, myself, I ...

I have cleaned for others in the past, one home was 4,000 sq ft of glass and white wood floors, my home by comparison is tiny and a total breeze to clean.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:42 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Ours comes every other week and she has saved my marriage. *lol* She is absolutely worth every penny we pay her.

We still do minor cleaning between her visits - I'll vacuum the carpets, or have the robo-vacuum do the hardwoods, and we'll clean the bathrooms as needed. I also make the kids clean their rooms, and we do laundry (obviously).

We don't keep a messy house, but it's nice to know that like clockwork it'll be cleaned to spit-shine every two weeks.
Oh, I remember those days when I would come home from work and the floors sparkled and the furniture gleamed. The good old days.

One thing I don't know if anyone has said yet, I preferred a team cleaner approach rather than one person who would stay all day. Even though I could leave if I wanted, I still liked them to be in and out as quickly as possible.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:03 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Sometimes the cleaning ladies clean areas in the house that I didn't even know needed to be cleaned. Light bulbs? Cabinet handles? Remote control?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House