Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 11:18 AM

592 posts, read 1,478,888 times

Advertisements

Yes everyone can plan outdoor projects, but if you live in northern climates with cold winters, there is a unique spin that goes like this:

1) For the Summertime, I want to have _______ built/finished.
2) So I will do that in the spring before the summertime outdoor entertaining season really kicks in.
3) Which means even though its 12 degrees in February, I am already research and planning my summertime outdoor project.

So what are you researching and planning for a spring build?
Pool, Deck, Shed, Patio, Siding...?

Summertime is finally here, that ol' ballpark man is back in gear...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 11:19 AM

592 posts, read 1,478,888 times
Mine is... the last step of our whole house remodel, is to add a patio off the back of our 12ft glass slider. The area actually totals 40+ft wide (across the back of the garage), and I am googling and researching if we should do a ground level deck, stamped concrete, or pavers...

Old 02-06-2015, 01:21 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
In planning phase now for a front yard rain garden. I'd be working on it now if I wasn't in the middle of relocating the laundry room.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:12 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Not real sure yet, need to see how things go. I don't know how much yard type work I will be able to do, since about 80% of our lot is currently mud with all the construction on our new house.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:08 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
Yes everyone can plan outdoor projects, but if you live in northern climates with cold winters, there is a unique spin that goes like this:

1) For the Summertime, I want to have _______ built/finished.
2) So I will do that in the spring before the summertime outdoor entertaining season really kicks in.
3) Which means even though its 12 degrees in February, I am already research and planning my summertime outdoor project.

So what are you researching and planning for a spring build?
Pool, Deck, Shed, Patio, Siding...?

Summertime is finally here, that ol' ballpark man is back in gear...
Playing more golf. Buying and distributing potted plants about. We do not do dirt.........LOL

Old 02-08-2015, 08:10 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Well.. hopefully we'll see spring before August. Just a conveyor belt of one foot+ snow storms in the past week and more on the way.

This spring it is going to be shovel pruning and rehoming plants.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:53 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
I took this photo almost 4 years ago:

Unfortunately, because I've had many more important projects to work on, this area hasn't changed much over that time.

Between the 3 garages and the mulberry tree, I think this will make a nice outdoor "room." So, this spring, I will be taking the first steps to making this a reality. I'll be removing the chain link fence and cleaning out all of the brush and debris. I'll also probably start a few planting beds for shade-loving perennials.

Eventually, I'll lay down bricks to make a seating/patio space, and may even string some lights over the area.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:28 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Ugh, my list is endless (darn 1930's built house, neglected for decades, bought as a foreclosure)...

But, the general list is:

Seal new front door then install with new threshold
build storm windows for all 25 windows
remove and rebuild original window sashes (this includes new sash cord, pulleys, weatherstripping, wavy glass as needed, etc..)
remove and rebuild all 4 Other remaining original exterior doors (5 total, one being a french door)
strip and paint all Interior doors... which is really the last "inside" job
Power-wash the entire brick house + 3 chimneys and sidewalks
strip paint from all exterior trim and ~20x30 covered entertaining area, repaint and repair as needed
install the rest of the outdoor electrical stuff (2 ceiling fans, 3 lights, there are some non-op switches and outlets)
till 6x40 raised garden bed, removing roots (chinaberry, mimosa, who knows what else) and prep for planting
rebuild privacy fence where falling down (8~10 8' panels)
grade slope away from foundation
encapsulate basement
excavate, grade and install 2nd raised garden bed that will also act as a retaining wall
excavate, grade and pour concrete slab that extends driveway, plus the pad for a new 30x40(ish) shop building (to be built next year?)
Wife wants to hire a landscaper since neither of us have an eye for plant layout.

Ugh... can I stop now? I'm feeling overwhelmed and today was Supposed to be a "rest and mental health" day.... It's a good thing I live in Georgia, if you can tolerate the heat, you can Pretty much work year round. It was 50's and sweating yesterday as I started cleaning up the existing rock-wall garden bed. But our "outdoor entertaining season" is coming to an end here soon, so this is mostly for this Fall/Nov when it starts to get tolerable to be outside again.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:25 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Last year was our year for house investment - we redid the entire backyard, we did a lot of repairs in and around the house, replaced some floors.

This year the ONLY plan we have is to replace the carpeting and repaint a few rooms. And even then we won't be doing this until the fall. We don't want to replace the last of the carpeting until our cat passed away - she's wreaking havoc on the carpets right now (she's 18 years old and just this past week started a new "habit" of skipping the litter box completely). We will be taking her to the vet, but when my parents' cat started doing this a few years ago, they found out she was dreadfully ill and put her down. So my husband and I are just going to live with it for now (and steam clean like crazy).

As for painting, I will mostly be sticking with the current color scheme in the main part of the house, but the bedrooms, front foyer and upper hallway need a complete redo.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:21 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I took this photo almost 4 years ago:

Unfortunately, because I've had many more important projects to work on, this area hasn't changed much over that time.

Between the 3 garages and the mulberry tree, I think this will make a nice outdoor "room." So, this spring, I will be taking the first steps to making this a reality. I'll be removing the chain link fence and cleaning out all of the brush and debris. I'll also probably start a few planting beds for shade-loving perennials.

Eventually, I'll lay down bricks to make a seating/patio space, and may even string some lights over the area.
My suggestion is sell and run...run...run...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House