Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 03:47 AM

92 posts, read 166,619 times

Advertisements

I would like to do this but have no idea how or where to begin. Anyone ever done this before
and could offer advice. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 05:16 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
The fact that you have never done this or know where to begin, tells me you should not attempt it.
I know that might sound harsh, but the reality is that building a house (somehow calling it a small cottage or cabin makes it sound easier) is a fairly complex process. While it may seem fairly simple, its not.

Cutting and nailing boards is something that most people can do with very little practice. KNOWING where and how to cut, and build something correctly is quite another. Building something that is structurally sound and meets codes is another skill set that is necessary.

You could get a lot of these skill by working on other building projects, such as Habitat for Humanity, or helping a friend work on a house. While books can be some help, its hands on practice that will teach you the skills needed to take on a project like building your own home.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:22 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times
Maybe you should start by building a storage shed. That will give you a basic idea on how very basic building is done.

I hate to discourage you, but building to code takes years of practice, just like anything else. If you are intent on doing this, see if you can find someone who is adding on to their house of building their own house and volunteer to help.

You could also get a kit and hire some workers with experience to assist. Having everything precut and directions would be helpful to a novice.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:23 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
I've never done it before, but if I get some land with suitable scenery and all, I'm thinking I'd build a cottage out of cob.

WebLife: Cob Builders Handbook: Contents

Anyway, I've not done this kind of thing before, but I think where to begin depends heavily on climate and the characteristics of the location.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:28 AM

592 posts, read 1,479,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmke View Post
I would like to do this but have no idea how or where to begin. Anyone ever done this before
and could offer advice. Thanks
There are definitely plans online...

But in the Northeast, we have numerous options for prebuilt, or "built on your lot" sheds/cabins that can be somewhat large... large enough to qualify as a cabin.

We are about an hour or so from PA Amish, and there are several family companies that build these structures quickly, solidly... and surprisingly cheap. Not to mention national companies or even home centers.

We have woods on the back of our property and I have a longer term plan to put a cabin out there.. and I keep leaning towards having the Amish build the base cabin and I can finish the interior.

An example: This is an Amish builder but located in South Jersey. They have dozens of prebuilts right on their lot, and the small sheds have blended in to full small houses and large garages.
Workshops And Storage Sheds For PA, MD, NJ, And NY - Stoltzfus Structures

Would need a foundation...

Old 02-11-2015, 08:17 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
I would like to do this but have no idea how or where to begin.
Become a Habitat for Humanity volunteer. You can learn a lot on site.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:54 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
...could offer advice. Thanks
The bottom line has been answered- this is not for you.
However, if you truly want/need a "cabin" I have the cure for your pain. Go to HD and buy the big lofted storage building and turn it into your cabin.

I've seen it done- a guy took one and placed it on a "basement" foundation, wired it, plumbed it, insulated and drywall it. The loft is the sleeping area, and the rest is a kitchen, bath, living, dining combo. The only "structural" change he did was change the "barn doors" to a regular entry door and added a roof for the porch.

Not bad for one person; two gets "really cozy"!

Old 02-11-2015, 09:09 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Another option is to take night classes for construction. Check with your local college for adult education and see if they offer classes. I occasionally teach these classes locally. By the time you get your degree, you'll know where to cut, why, and be able to read plans. You can actually get the degree in as little as 2 years but that would include day classes too. Night only classes, figure a 4 year education.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:43 PM

92 posts, read 166,619 times
I guess I should have clarified what I was looking for in this forum.
I don't want to do the actual building, I want info on having it
built, reputable companies, how to begin the process, what to expect,
what all is involved...

Old 02-11-2015, 08:14 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post

An example: This is an Amish builder but located in South Jersey. They have dozens of prebuilts right on their lot, and the small sheds have blended in to full small houses and large garages.
Workshops And Storage Sheds For PA, MD, NJ, And NY - Stoltzfus Structures
Not to be picky-picky, but...they are located in PA. I'm pretty sure Atglen is in Chester County, close to Lancaster County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House