Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 10:13 PM

8 posts, read 7,493 times

Advertisements

I have been living in this multi-family house for about 1 1/2 year now. One of the biggest problems I have now is the omnipresent bugs encroaching on every corner of the house (mainly the kitchen area). I've tried a lot of different sprays, roach killers etc. (even consulted professionals during a job interview at a company that manufactures pest control products). The experts said that if I can't find the source of these bugs, I can never kill them all with any pest products. Obviously there is no way to find out since any one of my neighbors could be where the bugs come from, not to mention previous tenants. Nothing seem to have worked. So after a year, I pretty much just gave up. My roommate and I are planning to move, but considering the fact that we won't be able to find a new apartment immediately (we all know it takes time), I have been trying in different ways to shield my kitchen appliances/utensils from being crawled on by bugs.

One of the biggest problems I have now is my toaster. I cannot even leave it unattended for 1 minute without finding another bug has just crawled inside. So I bought a few giant zipper bags from Amazon and zipped the entire toaster up (Anything that is not airtight like a regular toaster cover would not prevent bugs from crawling in). It worked fine for a few days before I realize that the heat of the toaster isn't reacting so well with the plastic zipper bag. When the zipper bag came into contact with the heat emitted from the toaster, part of it melted away and a big hole appeared in the middle, making it useless as a protective shield for the toaster. I really don't know what I should do with the toaster. I use it fairly regularly and hate to see dead roach bodies inside every time I am about to pop in my bread. Is there any airtight container big enough to put in a toaster?

Another thing is my toothbrush and the tumbler. I usually just put them on top of the sink. One day my roommate went to the bathroom in the middle of the night and she told me the next morning that she saw at least 10 ants/bugs crawling inside the tumbler/cup! I was completely grossed out. Now I am using 2 medium zipper bags to seal off my toothbrush and tumbler every time I finish using them, but the moisture of the bathroom just makes it very unpleasant to constantly have 2 zipper bags on top of the sink.

We are moving sooner or later, but if anyone has any idea about what to do for now, I'd really appreciate some suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 10:51 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,467,118 times
See the sticky at the top of the forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House