Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:02 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,663,788 times

Advertisements

Pretty much all freestanding consumer-grade dehumidifiers have their core made in china and come with a 1-year warranty, so if you get two years of service, you're ahead of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Can anyone recommend a decent one for the basement? Free standing, must have a drain attachment (bucket is not important, drain pump is not needed either)....Want to keep this under $200
If you are a Costco member, buy the one they sell, then take advantage of their great refund policy if it doesn't last.

The DeLonghi 50-Pint Dehumidifier is $240 on their website, it has a drain attachment and a pump, the model I have will automatically restart after power loss. This is a compressor-based unit and will operate down to 41°F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 09:54 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,416,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post
I bought this one in March of 2011 and it seems to be holding up well.
Frigidaire Dehumidifier, 70-Pint Capacity, FAD704TDP

This is the newer version:
http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FAD..._ob_title_home

I have the newer 50 pint version for my 1700 square foot basement. It works well.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:36 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,272,106 times
I, too was in the market for a dehumidifier. I read review after review and most of them said that they died usually within a year. I really didn't want to spend the money on something that will die so quickly. Then I found DampRid which is basically calcium chloride. We bought a few tubs of it and put them in our basement and the problem was solved. A 4 lb tub cost under $10 at Amazon. Also, it is much cheaper to use since it doesn't use any electricity. You just have to keep checking them and replacing them when needed.

Cat

Old 03-06-2015, 06:33 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,663,788 times
Lightbulb If instead of Damp Rid, you buy 50 lb bags of Peladow for $20, that appears to work out cheaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I, too was in the market for a dehumidifier. I read review after review and most of them said that they died usually within a year. I really didn't want to spend the money on something that will die so quickly. Then I found DampRid which is basically calcium chloride. We bought a few tubs of it and put them in our basement and the problem was solved. A 4 lb tub cost under $10 at Amazon. Also, it is much cheaper to use since it doesn't use any electricity. You just have to keep checking them and replacing them when needed.
Sounds good for a small or slightly musty area, but I don't think the economics or effort work out for high volume dehumidification.

Each 4 lb tub of Damp Rid can hold at most 1.5 gallons of water at a cost of $10. The cost of removing 1.5 gallons of water with an electric dehumidifier, taking into account electricity and the cost of replacing the entire unit every year, is less than two bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House