Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 03:37 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why have a land line at all? Who cares? Have a cell phone and be done with it. Even the burglar alarms can be set up to work on a cell phone the burglar alarm company provides. Around here, the only thing a land line is good for is to get annoying calls from different charities and the Republican National Committee, all begging for money. Just pull the plug.
We have two cell phones, and they cost $100 each for a years service, so we have the peace of mind when one of us is out and about or when traveling. For under $17 a month, we have all the minute we will use per year, and get a roll over of unused minutes at the end of the year. For $3.75 per month we get unlimited calling both local and long distance for our
VOIP land line. Works like a charm. No unwanted calls on the VOIP phone as it is in no directory. We often talk to one of our kids for an hour or more, and the call is free. And there are lots of features the phone company charges for that are Free with VOIP.

For 2 cell phones, a home land line, and a fast internet connection for a few cents under $45 a month, which replaced two cell phones, a land line (long distance was extra), and Internet for $186 a month total replacing he same type service saves us $141 per month or $1,692 per year savings. It is not that we could not afford the higher costs, we can but I am cheap and hate to throw money into the trash is how I feel about what it used to be like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 04:12 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman
It's the exact opposite here, they just added a new area code that overlays the old one. For regular phone service you need dial the area code, for whatever reason I don't need to do that with the VOIP. I'm assuming Comcast is just prefixing the area code if not given. You may want to check your phone becsue it may have this feature.
We have TIME WARNER and they have 10 digit dialing enabled.. (You dont have to dial 1 for ANY # (Ex: 408-752-8052 will work fine ('Tell me' service)))

I wish we still had a landline,I think the quality IS BETTER!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House