Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 06:56 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,927,113 times

Advertisements

I installed Timbertech deck abut 7 years ago. It definitely does get hotter when the afternoon sun hits it. Definitely can't be on it bare feet. I am in the NE. Not sure how much hotter it is where you are.

Maintenance wise? I will never deal with wood deck again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 07:51 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,654 times
Some excellent points and I appreciate ALL the comments!!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:41 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Also, back when I was considering composite & PVC decking, I found out that the PVC decking I was looking into wouldn't allow leaving anything rubber on the deck as it would discolor it over time. Common things like a hose or a little kids swimming pool.

What direction of exposure to the sun would your deck receive? Do you have trees that might shade all or parts of your deck?

I have a very old redwood deck. About 15 years ago, my father took all of the balusters off and the horizontal board just above the deck floor which the balusters were all attached to. He raised that horizontal board about 4 inches, shortened all of the balusters & reinstalled everything. This was so that when shoveling snow, I could just push the shovel up to the bottom of the horizontal board and slide the snow off the deck without having to lift the shovel. This made it so much easier when the snow was wet & heavy. Saved my back!
Attached Thumbnails
Are composite decks too hot? Your experience appreciated!-deck1-9-16-10.jpg   Are composite decks too hot? Your experience appreciated!-deck1-9-17-10.jpg  

Old 03-18-2015, 06:55 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,654 times
This past weekend we tried to get some samples from Lowes and Home Depot. NO samples! To 2 customer service guys, my husband said, "would you spend thousands of dollars of something without seeing what it looks like at your house?'' ''well..., no..., I guess not''. I know it's not their fault for not having samples, I just thought major brands, major chains, it's a no brainer.
Anyway, got samples from local lumber yard and surprisingly, some of my favorite colors looked bleh against my house! Still feel like we're at stage 1 and getting no where.
thanks for advice and pics above.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:37 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,808,528 times
I live in Denver.
There are no perfect solutions.

In our previous house, for 24 years, we had a wood deck. Decent redwood which required bi-annual power washing and staining. But the deck was comfortable at all times and looked great. It is still standing.

When I visit new builds in my neighborhood I am often requested to remove my shoes.
Having stood (for a second or two) on a non-wood deck in July sunshine more than once, I can tell you that these decks get HOT.

If I were putting in decking on the 3rd-floor, then I would use non-wood. Shoes would be left near the door to the outside.
If I were building a deck at "ground level", then I would go for ipé (or very high-quality redwood). And, I would expect to do maintenance.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:47 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,760,872 times
We have a porch with a stair platform that is uncovered in full sun. Trex Trascend. Our dogs love to lay on if actually, but it can get warm mid day in the summer. If they get hot they go into the covered area or down to the patio.

As far as the look, it is not real wood for sure, but I don't think it looks too much plastic, though some of the other Trex products can, depending on the circumstance. Definitely remains straighter than real wood and no splinters. Ipe would be similar, but also hot.

I really need to put some updated pictures up, but this is from when we were working on it.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,307 times
Default Very hot vinyl

We had a vinyl deck put in 2 years ago & it gets hot. Has anyone gotten a serious burn from being barefoot?

Old 10-20-2016, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,859 times
Does it get to hot for paws or not?

Old 10-20-2016, 02:49 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Yes

Old 10-20-2016, 04:02 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christineparatore View Post
Does it get to hot for paws or not?
Not any hotter than asphalt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House