Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is cheaper?
Buying a house 17 68.00%
Renting an apartment 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:20 PM

326 posts, read 470,386 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, who thinks it is cheaper to rent an apartment or to buy a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 08:15 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
If you are asking for the long term... I'd have to say buying, i.e. Home Ownership.

A person's home is often the single largest asset in one's estate.

If your not looking long term... then renting is almost always much cheaper... especially in high cost areas like California.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:26 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,942,393 times
It depends on the area of the country. Some have economics skewed to favor renting, others to favor owning.

So, I pick the thrid option . . . it depends on your area.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:54 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,544,623 times
Renting is cheaper from a day to day point of view, no doubt. Also, a lot of good cases have been made that if you rent, and put your money that would have gone to property taxes, house maintenance (if you bought) into investments - you'll probably have a sizeable nest egg when you retire, similar to that of a value of a home (had you bought).

That said. We're buyers. Its a psychological/emotional issue for us. Our parents were buyers, we're buyers, if we have children - they'll probably be buyers.

but I maintain, it probably is cheaper to rent, even long term

Old 01-12-2008, 08:32 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,655 times
Quote:
That said. We're buyers. Its a psychological/emotional issue for us. Our parents were buyers, we're buyers, if we have children - they'll probably be buyers.
We're the same way.... we have always owned. But we also do NOT like to move.
we [Dh & I] are still in the same town we grew up in... though now our kids will not be able to afford to live here since the costs have gone thru the roof....

so it does depend on one's situation... I look at my sister, who just can't sit still ... she always rented ... and is currently in her second purchased home, wants to move again, but can't due to the market... she doesnt have children, so its easier for her to keep moving around.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
I also think in the long run if you stay in one home for a while it will eventually pay for itself in appreciation thus, costing you 'nothing' in the end, sort of. Rent is just that, rent. It gives you a place to live but you get nothing in return for the money you put out. Obviously there are 1000's of variables to this.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:01 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times
Over the long run if you stay in the house for several years, buying is cheaper.

What I never see in the financial recommendations is the fact that if you rent, you do not actually have the mortgage payment, tax, maintenance money in hand to invest in other vehicles. That money goes to the rent! The comparison has to be the house money minus the rent money. Then the calculation is entirely different.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:40 PM

746 posts, read 3,498,799 times
If your job is stable and you are going to be renting for many years, it usually is better to buy if you possibly can. Right now prices are more realistic and can be negotiated in much of the US, so the timing is good too.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:14 AM

654 posts, read 3,455,915 times
And look at it like this, with the housing market as it is now, renting is going to get alot more expensive due to the fact that many people have lost their homes to foreclosure and are now looking to rent. Personally, I prefer to buy, as I have rented for the last few years in MI I often resented having to write out that rent check, as I know that money is forever gone, and benefiting someone else.

Renting can be good and more recommended if you move around more often or live in an area for a few months at a time. As mentioned, depends mostly on your situation.
Now that I am a new homeowner, writing out that payment every month won't be so bad after all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House