Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:34 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times

Advertisements

Any rule of thumb people use for determining how to decide the amount of insurance one obtains for their house? I feel like my current amount is a little low...$132 per square foot. I know there's tons of variables, but I'm wondering if there are any guidelines that at least provide a place to start.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 09:09 AM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Most people insure for the projected cost to re-build the house, assuming a total loss. In some areas this might be more or less than the Fair Market Value. And you deduct the land-only value.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Most people insure for the projected cost to re-build the house, assuming a total loss. In some areas this might be more or less than the Fair Market Value. And you deduct the land-only value.
Thanks, that was actually my question...is there a rule of thumb for estimating the cost to rebuild. $100/sf? $150? $200?

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 03-16-2015 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-16-2015, 09:44 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Insurance companies would like a higher estimate and often use $150 as a guideline in my area. Rebuilding from a total loss may or may not include disposal of the entire home and reworking the lot before rebuilding so an accurate estimate is difficult to determine. Your current level of insurance does not seem out of line.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Insurance companies would like a higher estimate and often use $150 as a guideline in my area. Rebuilding from a total loss may or may not include disposal of the entire home and reworking the lot before rebuilding so an accurate estimate is difficult to determine. Your current level of insurance does not seem out of line.
Thanks! Very helpful.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
I insure for total loss of structure and contents value (value taken at current for house and average for contents)

Old 03-17-2015, 06:50 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,117,629 times
Most insurance companies have a program where they put in the size and features of your house and it calculates what it should be insured at. Your content coverage is usually a set percent of your overall structure coverage, 70% or whatever.

Using a flat dollar/sq foot is difficult because some houses have nicer features than others, wood floors vs sheet vinyl, builder grade wood trim vs custom trim, etc. Also keep in mind that part of your fair market value is your land and you don't add that into the cost and it's a really bad way to determine your home value..think back to 2008 and the housing market crash and how much value houses lost, but the cost of drywall didn't go down.

Also keep in mind that in the event of a natural disaster, hurricane, major tornado, etc., building supply and labor costs often go up so the actual cost to rebuild then will likely be more than the cost if you have a house fire.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:01 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
You insure it for its replacement value instead of market value !!!

Replacement cost is the amount of money it would take to repair, replace or rebuild your home with materials similar to the kind and quality used in constructing your home.

Using an insurance agent with (CS) Common Since, he or she will be able to help you with this !!!

Old 03-17-2015, 12:18 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
That is a very important point especially in regards to the contents. Cash value of the contents can be dramatically less than replacement cost. We had a house fire and on the inventory sheet they had both the replacement and cash value listed. If I had to guess the cash value on average was about 30%.

Most people don't realize how stuff they have and what it will cost replace it. Just look at your spice rack and add it up. That by itself can be hundreds dollars.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post

Replacement cost is the amount of money it would take to repair, replace or rebuild your home with materials similar to the kind and quality used in constructing your home.

Using an insurance agent with (CS) Common Since, he or she will be able to help you with this !!!
Thanks, I get the concept of replacement value, but I'd like to have some information to balance against what my agent thinks, since she obviously has a vested interest in making the number higher, rather than lower.

Not a big fan of common since (sic) in this type of situation, given that I don't believe there is any such thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House