Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,319 times

Advertisements

Ok so last night I was building a tent in the living room for my kids to camp out in for fun. I went into the Master bedroom to blow up an air Matress. I typically use our leaf blower to blow it up. I plugged the leaf blower in the wall and turned it on. As soon as I turned it on all of the power went off in the room. I went outside to check the breaker box and none of the breakers tripped. To be proactive just in case I reset all of the breakers. Went back inside and it was still off in the master bedroom . Then I went into the garage to get a flash light and the garage light did not work. I also noticed the pantry light in the kitchen was off . Being the fact that I'm not an electrician and that is a skill and trade I know nothing of I call my neighbor down the street. He is a commercial electrician but I thought better him looking at it then me. He looked in the room and said " You must have a GFI" I told him there was one in the master bedroom bath by the sink. He went and looked and the power was dead to it as well. He had a replacement and went ahead and swapped it out and bam it had power. So he then went to the socket I plugged the blower into to start and he recommended us replacing it as well as it was a bit worn. He quickly swapped them out but still no lights or power other than the GFI. Then he went out to check the breaker box . All of the breakers checked to be good. Then he checked the ground bar in the box and all grounds were connected and no loose wires. We looked at a bunch of different sockets throughout the house and all we good just no power or lights in the master bath and garage light . He and myself are pretty stumped . I'm looking for any suggestions at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 06:56 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,743,650 times
Have you checked your outside plugs? One could be GFI.

Also check the plugs in the garage. You have a tripped GFI somewhere.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:06 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,773,036 times
You'll get more responses if you post this in the house forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/house/

Old 03-19-2015, 08:07 AM

504 posts, read 1,142,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Have you checked your outside plugs? One could be GFI.

Also check the plugs in the garage. You have a tripped GFI somewhere.
That is my recommendation, too.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:59 AM

413 posts, read 1,174,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuak281 View Post
Ok so last night I was building a tent in the living room for my kids to camp out in for fun. I went into the Master bedroom to blow up an air Matress. I typically use our leaf blower to blow it up. I plugged the leaf blower in the wall and turned it on. As soon as I turned it on all of the power went off in the room. I went outside to check the breaker box and none of the breakers tripped. To be proactive just in case I reset all of the breakers. Went back inside and it was still off in the master bedroom . Then I went into the garage to get a flash light and the garage light did not work. I also noticed the pantry light in the kitchen was off . Being the fact that I'm not an electrician and that is a skill and trade I know nothing of I call my neighbor down the street. He is a commercial electrician but I thought better him looking at it then me. He looked in the room and said " You must have a GFI" I told him there was one in the master bedroom bath by the sink. He went and looked and the power was dead to it as well. He had a replacement and went ahead and swapped it out and bam it had power. So he then went to the socket I plugged the blower into to start and he recommended us replacing it as well as it was a bit worn. He quickly swapped them out but still no lights or power other than the GFI. Then he went out to check the breaker box . All of the breakers checked to be good. Then he checked the ground bar in the box and all grounds were connected and no loose wires. We looked at a bunch of different sockets throughout the house and all we good just no power or lights in the master bath and garage light . He and myself are pretty stumped . I'm looking for any suggestions at this point.
Just need to reset the right GFCI or the main breaker circuit (in the garage?)

Old 03-19-2015, 09:56 AM

804 posts, read 1,065,566 times
One of your phases could be burned out.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:57 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,213,243 times
Pull all the boxes away from the walls in the garage. Probably a GFCI hidden behind the largest, most difficult pile of boxes to move!

Old 03-20-2015, 01:57 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,739,466 times
If I had to guess based on what you told us, I would say your electrician missed a wire when he installed the New GFCI outlet. I find it unlikely that the more then one circuit failed when you plugged in the leaf blower. This assumes that you do use the GFCI in the bathroom on a regular bases, and it wasn't tripped for months before you just noticed it wasn't working. I would recheck the GFCI in the bathroom to make sure all the wires are connected to it, if one was brittle it could have broke when it was pushed back into the wall, they are quite big and can cause stress on the wiring inside the box if not carefully installed. If the bathroom is wired correctly, normally it would feed the bathroom lights, on the other hand, there's no good reason why the garage would be on the same circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
One of your phases could be burned out.
Unlikely the problems would be more widespread, the electric dryer and stove wouldn't work, as well as half the house wouldn't have power.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:14 PM

23,519 posts, read 69,907,878 times
OhferPetessake. Clamp on a wire tracer from the breaker box, follow the wire 'til the sound stops. Mark the spot. Clamp the tracer on the socket wiring and trace back. My guess is that you'll end up at a socket or junction box both ways. Open/examine/replace. 15 min job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House