Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:09 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

This morning, there was no hot water and I noticed the pilot was off on the hot water heater. I tried to light it and it did, but then once I turned it up, it went off.

After that, I tried to light it again, and it sparked, but would not light. It is the kind lit with gas where you continously press the trigger button and hold down another button.

After many tries, I gave up, splashed some water on myself and went to work.

Can anybody tell me how to light it and keep it lit?

Also, does running the shower for a long time cause the pilot to go out? I have never had this problem before. And that's what I was doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 08:56 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
The thermocouple is probably bad-

Old 03-23-2015, 09:10 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
This morning, there was no hot water and I noticed the pilot was off on the hot water heater.
I tried to light it and it did, but then once I turned it up, it went off.
After that, I tried to light it again, and it sparked, but would not light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6740Q-x5RZ0

Old 03-23-2015, 09:17 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The thermocouple is probably bad-
That would only make the main burner stay off, not the pilot light.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:37 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If you could only read and hear...

Old 03-23-2015, 11:54 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Exclamation Huh ?

Quote:
Since when ?

In addition to preventing the main burner gas valve from coming on, another major point of the thermocouple is to sense when the pilot is out for some reason. (Wind, gas co. shutoff, etc.) So you don't get raw gas from the pilot spewing into the furnace, etc.

When the TC itself fails, it won't let the pilot stay lit after you release the override button. Classic symptoms of a TC failure.

If the OP is at all handy with tools, they are easy to replace. And there are many YouTube videos for guidance.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Since when ?

In addition to preventing the main burner gas valve from coming on, another major point of the thermocouple is to sense when the pilot is out for some reason. (Wind, gas co. shutoff, etc.) So you don't get raw gas from the pilot spewing into the furnace, etc.

When the TC itself fails, it won't let the pilot stay lit after you release the override button. Classic symptoms of a TC failure.

If the OP is at all handy with tools, they are easy to replace. And there are many YouTube videos for guidance.
How would you know that the TC failed first and then the gas flow got shut off, rather than the pilot light failing for some other reason and then the TC responding properly? Couldn't either thing happen?

Old 03-23-2015, 05:32 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Quote:
Since when ?

Quote:
How would you know that the TC failed first and then the gas flow got shut off, rather than the pilot light failing for some other reason and then the TC responding properly? Couldn't either thing happen?
If the pilot is out, but stays on after re-lighting, then pilot went out for some reason by itself (high wind, etc)

If pilot does not stay lit, then 99% of the time the TC has failed (or you got the procedure wrong ). (that's also why they are easy to replace, are inexpensive, and universal replacements are available at any hardware store )

In the 5 homes I've lived in over last 40 years, I have replaced TC's in all of them, some twice)

As always, YMMV

Old 03-23-2015, 06:32 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Ok.

I'm able to be home and try it.

The exact thing that is happening is that the light comes on, but when I turn the temperature knob up, it goes out. It won't stay lit.

Ideas?

I'm going to try it again. I need hot showers goddamn it.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
If the pilot is out, but stays on after re-lighting, then pilot went out for some reason by itself (high wind, etc)

If pilot does not stay lit, then 99% of the time the TC has failed (or you got the procedure wrong ). (that's also why they are easy to replace, are inexpensive, and universal replacements are available at any hardware store )

In the 5 homes I've lived in over last 40 years, I have replaced TC's in all of them, some twice)

As always, YMMV
Thanks for the detailed explanation. The only experience I had was my Dad's house - where the pilot light went out due to a rusted main tank and water leaking out. Of course the water heater was almost 25 years old and croaked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House