Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:19 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times

Advertisements

Worst thing about stairs for me is vacuuming them and moving furniture up and down. Love the views from upstairs however! Ours overlooked a beautiful wetland area, but I wouldn't want one sandwiched between identical homes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 10:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I've lived in both and like both. My only insistence when it comes to a two story vs a one story is that the master bedroom be on the first floor.

Every individual house has it's own pros and cons - too many to generalize.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:38 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,043 times
I've lived in 7 two-storey houses, 1 three-storey house, 3 single level apartments and 5 single level houses that had basements. I always found the single storey houses to have more character and nicer layouts.

When I had young kids ironically, I was in the 2 storey houses and always worried about them climbing out the upstairs windows. We had at least one mis-hap with my son falling head first down the stairs and me catching him by his foot before he hit the bottom! I know it can happen with basement stairs too but the baby gate seems more convenient there.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:43 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
After living in a one story, I will never go back. There is no value in constantly running up and down the stairs. And I learned to hate all the 'stuff' on the landing. Piles of things needing to go up or down! The perfect 1 story for me has the Master on one side and the the other bedrooms on the other side of the living/kitchen area. Then the Master is very quiet.

Heating and AC are less expensive for a 1 story too. The whole living space will be the same temp. You don't have to cope with the bedrooms upstairs being too hot year round.

And doing laundry in a 1 story is a dream come true. No more hauling the laundry up and down the stairs. And you only need 1 vacuum cleaner!

Old 03-27-2015, 02:30 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Nobody, young or old, ever fell down the stairs in a one story house.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:58 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
I don't like stairs at all. I don't even like homes with 7+ steps to get to the front door.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:59 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
i have personally always lived in 2 story houses my entire life. the separation is great. however, now as i am looking to buy a new house in a new area, 80%+ (if you think about that stat it's really high) of the houses are 1 story. i have no idea why the % is so large. i've been looking for for 4 months now.

what are everyone's thoughts? how is the space/noise separation on just 1 floor? anyone hate it?

//EDIT: quick background - i am a young adult. i have no health problems. i am in texas. i am looking for a house to raise a family
I live in Texas too. Buy a one story home. Trust me; you won't regret it. When it comes to resale, many people automatically eliminate two story homes due to mobility issues and/or inconvenience. Retirees hardly ever willingly buy two story homes, and many families with young children don't like going up the stairs every time the baby cries. Also, in Texas, it's much less efficient cooling a two story home, so be prepared to spend more $$$ on your electric bill. If you HAVE to buy two story, don't get a two story with the master upstairs, at least. Those things are the pariahs of the real estate market, and buyers dislike them even more than regular two story homes. Besides, because land costs are cheaper in TX, people tend to build out rather than up, so you have a lot of choice in one story homes. When I met my ex-husband, he already lived in a two story home. I didn't think I'd mind living in a two story, but after about the 100th time I vacuumed the staircase, I changed my mind

Old 03-27-2015, 06:42 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
i have personally always lived in 2 story houses my entire life. the separation is great. however, now as i am looking to buy a new house in a new area, 80%+ (if you think about that stat it's really high) of the houses are 1 story. i have no idea why the % is so large. i've been looking for for 4 months now.

what are everyone's thoughts? how is the space/noise separation on just 1 floor? anyone hate it?

//EDIT: quick background - i am a young adult. i have no health problems. i am in texas. i am looking for a house to raise a family
I moved out of a glorious two-story home (four stories really, with full basement and permanent staircase to a third-floor attic). It had a large entry hall and open staircase. Quite a house.

I now live in a one-story mid-century modern brick ranch (80 feet wide) and I can tell you, this house is much more quiet and private than my two-story home. The floor plan is thoughtful, and you have the private areas on one end of the house and the public areas (den, kitchen, dining room and one bath) on another end.

This is the old house: Sound traveled throughout that house. In the bedrooms, you could hear conversations in the kitchen, dining room and living room.

I much prefer one-story living in my 1962 ranch. It's quieter and more intelligently designed - for my needs.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:33 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
A one story home is a horror. Good luck when your kitchen faucet overflows, water heater breaks or flood is on your block. Even a tree hitting roof exposes whole house.

Type of constructions cheap lazy builders do in places where land is cheap

Old 03-27-2015, 07:35 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I live in Texas too. Buy a one story home. Trust me; you won't regret it. When it comes to resale, many people automatically eliminate two story homes due to mobility issues and/or inconvenience. Retirees hardly ever willingly buy two story homes, and many families with young children don't like going up the stairs every time the baby cries. Also, in Texas, it's much less efficient cooling a two story home, so be prepared to spend more $$$ on your electric bill. If you HAVE to buy two story, don't get a two story with the master upstairs, at least. Those things are the pariahs of the real estate market, and buyers dislike them even more than regular two story homes. Besides, because land costs are cheaper in TX, people tend to build out rather than up, so you have a lot of choice in one story homes. When I met my ex-husband, he already lived in a two story home. I didn't think I'd mind living in a two story, but after about the 100th time I vacuumed the staircase, I changed my mind
That is a texas thing. In most areas ranches with no basements are near impossible to sell and are the least desirable of any home style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House