Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 07:10 PM

5,461 posts, read 8,180,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Geez. What do you people do on Halloween?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 07:29 PM

286 posts, read 150,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Useless dirt? Who exactly wrote such a thing? Certainly not Prolific. I just read every one of her eight posts to the thread, and not one even implied you were useless dirt. There's a lot of hyperbole in your posts, which makes me wonder if your hot-headedness may be at the source of your neighbor's refusal to answer the door.

Your behavior reminds me an awful lot of a family acquaintance who is continually outraged about something or other and thinks that whatever is on his mind should automatically be everybody else's focus. He's dismissive of any priorities eixisting outside the constant emergency going on in his head and talks a million miles an hour, steamrolling over others in conversation. He expects an immediate response to every text and jumps to the worst possible conclusion if he doesn't get one. After tolerating him for much longer than we should have, we now keep him at arm's length.
Thank you. That's correct, I never said any such thing. Thank you for clearing that up, I appreciate it.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:20 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
OK, sorry, maybe not Prolific wrote it but another half dozen people. Not one persons acciddental comemnt, but the whole thread if full of this type of opinion. They seem to agree on it with each other.
I was not quoting exact words. Normally it is not needed, as even if someone choses wording carefully I can still peel off the pretentious disguise and extract the original message that was arrogant enough.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:24 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
OK, sorry, maybe not Prolific wrote it but another half dozen people. Not one persons acciddental comemnt, but the whole thread if full of this type of opinion. They seem to agree on it with each other.
I was not quoting exact words. Normally it is not needed, as even if someone choses wording carefully I can still peel off the pretentious disguise and extract the original message that was arrogant enough.
You are reading things into the comments that are not there. Disagreement does not imply that any of the posters considers you useless dirt, and you are wrong to infer as much.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:25 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I never answer the door. Unless I am expecting a package that requires signature.

Otherwise, it is 100% b.s. solicitor.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:26 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Geez. What do you people do on Halloween?
Take my kids trick or treating. When done, I sit outside my house in a costume and hand out candy.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:01 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
I love handing out candy to the kids on Halloween!!! We decorate too.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:28 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bnsurprise View Post
i don't answer the door all the time. I don't answer the phone at all. If they know me they have my cell number. My wife and i want to unload the house phone. We have not figured out how to get rid of the door. Lol

on a side note.

If someone calls you and the number is listed as private or no number, or maybe it is a number that you don't realize who it is, answer the phone and say "it is finnished, their was a lot of blood, but i got rid of the evidence." and then hang up.
lol!

Old 03-29-2015, 10:29 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post

I have read and re-read this, and nobody called or implied that you were "useless dirt".
Some people just have a different opinion than you do. So you call them "arrogant" and say they have "pretentious disguise"...and hopes something bad happens to them???

Like I said earlier, I had one particular neighbor who would never open his door when I knocked....but my husband knocked one day and he did answer - buck naked. I guess he was a nudist or something maybe, but I am glad he never answered for me, if that was how he was going to answer it! So, yes, I have knocked on neighbors doors before, and they haven't answered...and I hold no ill will, nor anger, nor wrath for them not answering....I am sure they didn't hear it, weren't dressed to receive calls, or were out, or weren't up to talking to someone at the time, or maybe he doesn't like me lol (which is okay - he has a right) - that's their business, and I certainly wouldn't take it personally. It would be nothing at all, to get all worked up about. Life is too short, to let trivial matters like this make you so angry and upset!

We have had several home invasions in our city, where people have knocked on other people's door, and when they answered, they held a gun to them, came in and robbed them, and tied them up and terrorized them. So, you should think twice before answering your door to someone that you don't know....they are probably innocent, and fine, but this scenario has played out multiple times here.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:30 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I love handing out candy to the kids on Halloween!!! We decorate too.
Not me. I don't participate anymore. We don't have many kids in our subdivision, anyway. Even if we did,most kids don't go door to door, anymore. Not safe.

I also noticed that parents who live who knows where were bringing their kids in by the carload and dropping them off to trick or treat sometimes. Not cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House