Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 01:37 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
..., or sometimes I am upstairs and don't get there in time.

We had a neighbor like this once, I rang several times, and he wouldn't answer his door, my husband rang one day and he did - buck naked!!! (I am so glad that he never answered for me,like this!!!)
Yeah, I've been upstairs folding clothes or something when the doorbell has rung. I refuse to try to race down the hallway, scramble down the stairs, trip over the barking dog, step over the freaking out cats, just to see who is there.

Yikes on your neighbor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 01:47 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
So now it's immoral to not answer your door to a stranger?

I dare to wonder what else is immoral in your home. Thankfully, since you are a stranger to me, I'll never know.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
A lot of people do this. I assume they are trying to avoid solicitors and Jehova's witnesses. If you really need to talk to them, leave a note.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
People no longer answer their doors or phones unless they know someone is supposed to be there, as in expected.

It's part of living in a fear based society.

Even weirder -- there are still door to door sales people.
...if pretty much no one answers their doors, why bother with this outmoded way to sell? I still answer my door, and I ask the sales guy -- and they usually tell me only one or two before me.... that and everyone works....
We get them a lot. I think I stared at one not too long ago like she had 2 heads because it was dark and freezing. I felt bad for her, but I don't want to encourage them by buying something.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:45 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Maybe they were out walking, biking, running.
Maybe they were sleeping.
Maybe their bell does not work.
Maybe they were "getting busy".
Maybe they were in the bathroom.
Maybe they were unclothed.

Maybe they do not open the door for anyone they do not recognize.

I know I do not open the door for anyone I do not recognize.

Leave a note with your phone, tell them who you are, and ask them to text you when they are available.
This. I got tired of all the holy rollers trying to sell me their version of morality (as do my two Great Danes; they lunge at any solicitors), so I never answer the door unless it's Fed Ex or UPS.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:00 PM

3,778 posts, read 2,693,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I agree 100%. In fact, to me, morally speaking, I stress MORALLY not legally, but to me, you don't have the right to ignore people at your door on purpose (I'm not referring to "in the shower" or "on the toilet" situations). Unless you live in a gang-ridden part of a large city, your fear is irrational and you're using it as an excuse to be un-neighborly and it's morally wrong.
I think in an ideal world that is true. However, I can sympathize with people who don't want to bother with proselytizers, other sales people, and potential violence. I tend to answer my door, and I make connections with my neighbors. If one of my friendly neighbors came knocking for assistance in jump starting their car, I would help unless some emergency prevented me from doing so. I would even help one of my irritating, inconsiderate neighbors as an example for them, and hope that they might be more considerate of their neighbors (including me, of course) in the future.

But, if I had a parade of people knocking on my door, you can bet I would stop answering it. And that would not be morally wrong, but a simple matter of practicality. I'm willing to help out my fellow man, within limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I am absolutely serious when I say this, and yes, that goes for ignoring people calling as well. Ignoring them is something that, to me, not legally but morally speaking, you have no right to do. It is selfish, self-centered, it is an attitude that says "I only care about myself and my entire reason for living is for people to cater to me and leave me alone. If your house is on fire, call the fire department using your own phone." If you work night-shift or you and the wife are "getting it on," okay--otherwise, it's ridiculous.
Now you've completely lost me. There are many people simply trying to sell their wares, and use the phone to do so, and frankly that's not worth my time. And on a sometimes related matter, there are nefarious people in the world. If my phone rings and it is somebody I know, then I know their phone number and can see it on my caller ID. If I don't know the caller, but it is important to me, they will leave a message. Sales people and scam artists rarely leave messages. Which is good, because it saves my finger from pressing the delete button.

In today's age, people need to manage the intrusions into their lives. We are bombarded with communication. We have people knocking on our door, sending letters, making phone calls, sending email, sending tweets. Add in radio, tv, etc., and it's a wonder we don't all have ADHD.

It kind of reflects poorly on modern life, doesn't it? All these interruptions, it gets hard to get anything done. Why, I remember when --- oh, sorry, somebody needs my attention...

Old 03-28-2015, 05:08 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
Morally wrong? That is just nonsense. I am not self-centered and do not only care about myself. I am elderly and answering the door requires a trip down the stairs, which is both painful and sometimes dangerous. I see no good reason to go downstairs and back up just to answer the door to some stranger trying to sell me something. I can look out the window and see if it is a neighbor. Last week a tree service guy rang my bell and pounded on the door repeatedly at 7:30 AM. No way was I going to answer the door in my robe for a complete stranger.

As far as the phone goes, I use only my cell phone. I only refuse calls from those that block their numbers. I don't consider that morally wrong or self-centered either.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:15 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I just moved to a new neighborhood, and for different matters I needed to talk to 2 neighbors.
Both had 2 cars on the driveway, so probably they were at home. I rang the doorbell several times (didn't hear any doorbell sound), knocked on the doors several times, but they did not come to open their door.
Is it normal? Is it some kind of defensive mechanism that people do? They purposely ignore people wanting to talk to them, or even disconnect their doorbells to not be disturbed??
You "just moved in" and already you're banging on two neighbors' doors?

Old 03-28-2015, 05:20 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This. I got tired of all the holy rollers trying to sell me their version of morality (as do my two Great Danes; they lunge at any solicitors), so I never answer the door unless it's Fed Ex or UPS.
You're lucky that they knock on the door - here, they toss it on the porch (and if you're lucky, you happened to be home and/or heard it)

Old 03-28-2015, 05:22 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I can't believe this thread has gone on so long from a loony mad because strangers don't answer door to him, LOL - Consensus is: it is the homeowner's choice to answer the door or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House