Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:07 AM

20 posts, read 24,606 times

Advertisements

True, when buying locally you have an advantage when it comes to screw up's. I bought online not due to price, but I couldn't find the style I was looking for in the local stores.

Oldtrader has stated this is to be expected for $3000 furniture, so I guess I may as well had bought something from a garage sale in the hundreds, surely it would have been in better condition.

Live and you learn even though I do feel it's false advertising to point out you have a special quality control department that makes sure everything is done properly, then I receive something with this many defects...

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
ahem.. Walmart sells Acme furniture..

The OP isn't going to get any satisfaction from Acme though. She's got to fight with the store she originally bought it from.
OP, go over the managers heads. Find out who owns the store where you bought it from and contact them.

You say you bought the 5 year guarantee? Did they say how they expect to honor it since you live so far away?

If there's one thing I've learned the hard way over the years, it's 'buy in your own backyard'. You may pay a bit more for items but if you buy them locally at least you can go in to the store and complain. It's harder to ignore someone when they're standing in front of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 09:20 AM

hmmm... you all really have me reading now.

When you mentioned the explosion, I thought you were being sarcastic. I decided to Google what you typed up, and saw a cartoon character, then something about him vs ACME. I will be reading this about what he experienced with their furniture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Acme has been around for decades. Its best known customer is probably Mr. Wile E. Coyote, although he bought mostly anvils and very little furniture. Be careful with using that bedroom set if your alarm clock gives off sounds of "beep-beep" as that may cause an explosion.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:27 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLiz1989 View Post

When you mentioned the explosion, I thought you were being sarcastic. I decided to Google what you typed up, and saw a cartoon character, then something about him vs ACME. I will be reading this about what he experienced with their furniture...
He was being sarcastic....read this.

The Origin of the Looney Tune's "ACME" Corporation Name

Old 04-03-2015, 09:51 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
Quote:

I'm not Kokonutty, but I knew what he/she referring to. Road Runner cartoons! Wily E. Coyote used to go to Acme and pick up items to smash, blow up, or chop up the road runner. Wily always made the most creative killing machines, but the road runner always got away and Wily was the one who always got injured.

Liz, I bought a living room set online. Big mistake. I even have a post on here about it somewhere. I know it doesn't help much, but at least you know you're not alone.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:54 AM

lol I watched a few of the episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
He was being sarcastic....read this.

The Origin of the Looney Tune's "ACME" Corporation Name

Old 04-03-2015, 12:06 PM

Hello Laurie, I'm sorry to hear that you experienced something similar. I will be trying to find your post to read your story. Yes, there are many of us, unfortunately. My main goal now is to try to prevent others from being taken advantage of by writing a few reviews with pictures to show others what they could expect from ACME as well as the online company. It'll definitely be a while before I buy the rest of the furniture I need after this experience...

It's strange, I thought the name sounded familiar. After watching a few clips of the cartoon, I sort of remember seeing them. It's been some time. lol

Quote:
I'm not Kokonutty, but I knew what he/she referring to. Road Runner cartoons! Wily E. Coyote used to go to Acme and pick up items to smash, blow up, or chop up the road runner. Wily always made the most creative killing machines, but the road runner always got away and Wily was the one who always got injured.

Liz, I bought a living room set online. Big mistake. I even have a post on here about it somewhere. I know it doesn't help much, but at least you know you're not alone.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:23 PM

I just found your post. The sofa doesn't look bad at all. (not to me at least)

I thought you had received damaged furniture with very noticeable defects which is what happened in my case. The color of your sofa looks nice to me and you said it's sturdy which is definitely a plus, but I can understand your disappointment.

Quote:

Old 04-03-2015, 12:43 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
Quote:
I just found your post. The sofa doesn't look bad at all. (not to me at least)

I thought you had received damaged furniture with very noticeable defects which is what happened in my case. The color of your sofa looks nice to me and you said it's sturdy which is definitely a plus, but I can understand your disappointment.
On my sofa one side of the upholstery material is higher than the other. The seat cushions sagged and now the seat covers look like they're too big. The back cushions lost their shape and now look more like bed pillows. If I had seen it in person, I never would have purchased it. I just ordered slipcovers for it hoping that it will look better because right now the sofa looks like it's a lot older than it is. Live and learn.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:54 PM

69 posts, read 114,453 times
Quote:
Hello, I appreciate the info. ACME states that they have a quality control department that makes sure the furniture is done well and as stated before, I have seen plenty of people with $200 Ikea furniture that didn't have beetle holes, defects in frame, fading paint, etc. so I never would have thought $3,000 furniture would have such.

I'm not sure where Hawaii comes into play, but the back of this says it was made in Vietnam.

Thanks for the info. however.

You bought expensive yet not custom or high quality furniture. You chose to buy online, and I doubt you researched much if at all. Your furniture does appear to have imperfections, but then again most I see in stores does.

If you want the IKEA look buy from IKEA. Your style isn't very IKEA though, so I agree with whoever advised you shop second-hand. That is what I do mostly, because I like quality. In any case don't buy online again after a quick Google search, and do research. Not only research the brand and manufacturer, but customer reviews of the goods and service, and realize that most things produced and sold today are complete **** even when it seems pretty expensive. You might not be able to find what you like, at the quality you expect, at a price you can afford.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-03-2015 at 03:50 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 01:32 PM

Okay, the first few posts were mainly about the color, so I figured that was the issue. Again, I'm sorry about your bad deal and bad experience.

Quote:
On my sofa one side of the upholstery material is higher than the other. The seat cushions sagged and now the seat covers look like they're too big. The back cushions lost their shape and now look more like bed pillows. If I had seen it in person, I never would have purchased it. I just ordered slipcovers for it hoping that it will look better because right now the sofa looks like it's a lot older than it is. Live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House