Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:20 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,091,249 times

Advertisements

Yes, dreadfully so. And after the huge remodel, the place creaked and moaned so badly it was impossible to sleep all night. The worst, on-going problem is the recycled, t&g oak floor in the master bedroom. Sounds like someone walking around all night. I've had my carpenter shoot more nails into it everywhere it creaks when walking across it. Helps a bit. But a house moves around all the time so it is impossible to eliminate the noise. And I won't sleep with a noise machine because I want to hear if there is trouble (people) outdoors, breaking in, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 02:27 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,630,232 times
Thanks a lot everyone. i think it is nothing bad then.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:35 PM

14,689 posts, read 8,002,302 times
Yes, it's been my experience most do make some noise...the older they are the more it can be, it seems.
But no worries...it's normal.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:25 PM

3,549 posts, read 1,539,016 times
All the time. During the day because the sun is warming it up. At night because it's cold. In between for no reason at all. I'd been meaning to ask if this is normall because I haven't noticed it when visiting other people's homes, but it might be the extra people/noise there.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:08 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,216,357 times
My house makes a weird kind of whoooooooooooooo (going higher in pitch all the time) every now and then (like a few times a day usually). Drove us crazy to begin with trying to figure out what was making that noise! I guess its the pipes but I've never had that noise in any other house I've lived in.

Or maybe its a ghost

Old 04-03-2015, 04:30 AM

146 posts, read 291,953 times
I moved into my new construction house 24 years ago. Every winter when it gets really cold, the huge wraparound deck makes loud popping sounds for a few days. It still scares the heck out of me every time!!!

Old 04-04-2015, 07:22 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,003,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
This might be a weird question, but here it goes. I am not really sure how to describe it, but every now and then we hear these noises in the house, as if it is a loud rain drop falling on plastic or whatever. They are single noises that appear at random times. They are not super loud. Imagine sitting around on a nice evening and all of a sudden you hear a single noise that, as I said, is the loudness of dropping a small plastic bag of water, but comes from wood.

Our house is all wooden, so I am wondering if it has anything to do with just the wood making noises (expanding/contracting based on temperature), but I am wondering if the house has some structural issues, or if all houses do it. Thanks a lot for the response.
I've got two sides.

My parents' home in California is an older stucco home built in 74, two story. My uncle's home in Arkansas is also an older stucco, I'm going to guesstimate it was built in the late 60's/early 70's, single story. Grandparents' home in Arkansas is an older brick home, had to have been built in the 40's/50's.

My home in Washington State is an older siding home built in 88, two story.

Now, the big differences:

My attic is easily 5x the size of theirs at minimum, and theirs is foundation while mine is crawlspace. I think the attic size difference plus the crawlspace type, coupled with weather shifts and contracting wood, are the main reasons I hear little noises and never did at my parents', uncle's, or grandparents's houses. It threw me too because I have extremely sensitive hearing.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:53 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,257,306 times
My townhouse makes ridiculous noise. The most noticeable is the wood flooring, which makes a popping sound when I run the heat.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:56 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,620,560 times
Quote:
...as if it is a loud rain drop falling on plastic...
The noise you are describing sounds like you have a little build up in your sewage pipes. It sounds like small amounts of water are building up (when nothing is running) on the little bulge and when it hits a certain point a small amount of water is released which rolls down the pipe and then drips onto another level of pipe thus causing the sound. The expense of dealing with it is not economical.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:19 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,344,986 times
i got a metal roof on top of plywood on trusses, as it heats and cools doing the day, it will pop as its contrast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House