Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:05 PM

50,026 posts, read 63,359,544 times

Advertisements

Is it me, or is this the worst paint ever? I got it at Lowe's in a dark blue color to paint below a chair rail over off-white. Signature paint has a built in primer. I would hate to see how badly it would cover without primer in it.

After two coats failed to cover, to the point that I knew a 3rd coat wouldn't cover either, I took it back to the store. I went to HD and bought good old Behr, and it is covering great.

Could I have gotten a bad batch? Hard to believe a company can stay in business with paint like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 12:07 PM

18,439 posts, read 18,569,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Is it me, or is this the worst paint ever? I got it at Lowe's in a dark blue color to paint below a chair rail over off-white. Signature paint has a built in primer. I would hate to see how badly it would cover without primer in it.

After two coats failed to cover, to the point that I knew a 3rd coat wouldn't cover either, I took it back to the store. I went to HD and bought good old Behr, and it is covering great.

Could I have gotten a bad batch? Hard to believe a company can stay in business with paint like this.
did you stir it well... I remember years ago as novice painter I bought an olive green paint, and started to paint doors but it went on streaky like water... I took it back to the shop and the woman assistant got a stick and stirred it... worked fine..

Old 04-02-2015, 12:10 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,508,553 times
Quote:
Signature paint has a built in primer. Is it me, or is this the worst paint ever?
Did someone tell you that having both in one was a good choice?
Someone other than the person selling it?

Quote:
I would hate to see how badly it would cover without primer in it.
Probably a lot better.

Quote:
Could I have gotten a bad batch?
I think it's the nature of the animal.

In the future... do your prep work (including any priming) first and well.
Then apply paint.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:20 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,188,526 times
I redid my entire home with this when I moved and my results ranged from excellent to poor.

2 things I found that affected results: The color I was using to cover, and the color underneath that needed covered. Each color/room varied. Some colors were covered fast and easy and the paint went on thick and beautiful.

Believe it or not, the worst room I did was a blood red Valspar used to cover a pale yellow. I thought it would be the easiest room, putting dark over pale. Took 3 or 4 complete coats, pure hell. Other rooms covered just fine with one coat of pastel going over the old stuff.

A painter told me that yellow is one of the worst colors to cover, the pigments keep bleeding through.

I'm not sure if using one of the high dollar designer paint brands would of made a difference on the hard colors?

Old 04-02-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
did you stir it well... I remember years ago as novice painter I bought an olive green paint, and started to paint doors but it went on streaky like water... I took it back to the shop and the woman assistant got a stick and stirred it... worked fine..
Yes, we stirred the heck out of it. I just finished putting on one coat of the Behr, and it looks great. Crisis over.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Did someone tell you that having both in one was a good choice?
Someone other than the person selling it?
I wasn't really looking for paint plus primer, but it seemed to be all they had. Since primer is white, unless I used a tinted primer, I wouldn't normally use one over white paint, but only over a dark color.
It's not rocket science, and I've painted about a million rooms of different colors, so I think it was the fault of the paint.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:31 PM

18,439 posts, read 18,569,329 times
Quote:
Yes, we stirred the heck out of it. I just finished putting on one coat of the Behr, and it looks great. Crisis over.
I think I used Valspar years ago and didnt like it but not sure.. great youve got a result at last ..

Old 04-02-2015, 02:15 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,508,553 times
Quote:
I wasn't really looking for paint plus primer...
I think it was the fault of the paint.
I agree. And don't recommend using the combination productss.

And do recommend thoroughness in the prep work... which is the real issue here.
Too many don't want to do it; even simple wall washing.
And if (when/where) required) ... primer.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:28 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,126,777 times
Quote:

I love dark saturated colors... and I was told by a painter that paint is a product that is white. When you start adding pigments it thins the paint. When you add a lot of pigments to get a deep color, you REALLY thin the paint.

Dark colors are very problematic...

The guy was sort of full of himself, and so a lot of the other stuff he told me was ....not very reliable.... but I can say -- he seemed to be right about the paint. Medium tones are fine, pastels are great, but dark colors always give me trouble.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:26 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,577,703 times
I used Valspar in a bathroom to cover a white wall. The Valspar was a pale yellow and was a disaster. both paints had the primer in it. I will only use Behr in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House