Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:53 PM

497 posts, read 428,189 times

Advertisements

The recent news about the mandated 25% reduction in water usage in CA, and likely other restrictions that will hit other parts of the West this summer, has made me wonder about how such restrictions should be implemented? If you live in an area with water restrictions, how have they been implemented:
  • watering only on certain days?
  • watering only with certain techniques etc?
  • restricting certain water hungry plant types?
  • etc...
What do you think is a fair way of implementing restrictions:
  • set a % reduction for everyone,
  • set a limit on the total gallons per property of water allowed,
  • Gallons per acre of land
  • Gallons per resident
  • Usage based water pricing - ie the more you use the more/gallon you pay
  • Suggestions?

I have a feeling this is going to become a hot topic this summer and I am wondering what the broader sentiment is. I am certainly in favor of water restrictions in drought afflicted areas, but I am not sure about the best way to implement them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 08:15 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
I have a feeling this is going to become a hot topic this summer
and I am wondering what the broader sentiment is.
Coastal CA needs to REDUCE it's population level.
Southern CA (aka a desert) needs to do that dramatically.

Last edited by MrRational; 04-02-2015 at 08:24 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 08:25 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
California's problems have far less to do with conservation than the fact that there is a huge population in an area that, naturally, cannot be sustained.

Artificial means will be a drop in the bucket, and short lived. As it is, much water is taken from other areas to feed what is essentially a desert. This cannot be resolved.

The face of the planet is changing. The loss of snowfall will continue. Too much dependency on melt water only adds to the problem. Trying to sustain the agricultural industry will push this to the brink, probably within five years.

A choice will have to be made -water for people or water for food. Both will not be manageable.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:03 PM

This is a little off topic, but 'people' in CA only represent about 20% of the water consumption, with agriculture being 80%. A more accurate assertion is that we need to eat less almonds and grow less alfalfa.

That being said, how do you think that water restrictions in CA or elsewhere should be fairly implemented? I am a little concerned that the everyone will just be told to reduce consumption by 25%, which doesn't seem fair to the folks that are already conserving water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Coastal CA needs to REDUCE it's population level.
Southern CA (aka a desert) needs to do that dramatically.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
...only represent about 20% of the water consumption
Immaterial. The Southland represents 100% of the reason for diversion.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
The recent news about the mandated 25% reduction in water usage in CA, and likely other restrictions that will hit other parts of the West this summer, has made me wonder about how such restrictions should be implemented? If you live in an area with water restrictions, how have they been implemented:
  • watering only on certain days?
  • watering only with certain techniques etc?
  • restricting certain water hungry plant types?
  • etc...
What do you think is a fair way of implementing restrictions:
  • set a % reduction for everyone,
  • set a limit on the total gallons per property of water allowed,
  • Gallons per acre of land
  • Gallons per resident
  • Usage based water pricing - ie the more you use the more/gallon you pay
  • Suggestions?

I have a feeling this is going to become a hot topic this summer and I am wondering what the broader sentiment is. I am certainly in favor of water restrictions in drought afflicted areas, but I am not sure about the best way to implement them.

Call me crazy but if you live in an arid climate unless it's food I don't understand why anyone would be watering anything drought or no drought. I live where water is plentiful and if we don;t get rain for 3 weeks the lawn goes brown, you won't see me out there watering it.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:12 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Most of the water is being used by agriculture.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Try looking at google maps earth, and see how many big lawns, golf courses, and swimming pools are in southern CA, and the east bay (SF Bay Area). There may have to be a choice between those nice amenities and having produce and meat to eat. When I worked at the water company in Oakland on the rationing programs during the 1976-77 drought, people were willing to pay $3,000+/month to keep their lawns green and pools full. I don't think this coming summer that will be allowed. Glad I don't still work there.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:18 PM

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Immaterial. The Southland represents 100% of the reason for diversion.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Call me crazy but if you live in an arid climate...
They've made movies about it.

"Bring the water to LA or bring LA to the water"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppGd-2nEOVQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House