Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 21,998 times

Advertisements

Just finished construction on my new home. I live in rural MO so natural gas is not an option for me. I installed a propane stub on my deck so I could tap the 1000 gallon tank instead of constantly filling the grill bottles. So I went to my local propane dealer and got a 10' hose to run from the stub directly to my grill. My question is concerning the orifice on the end that screws into the grill. I noticed the orifice is roughly twice the size as the one on the original black hose that runs hooks to the grill bottle. I know that natural orifices are larger than propane, so I was curious is there a difference on these longer type hoses. I've done google searches until I'm blue in the face, but find nothing on this direct question, in fact most/all hoses sold that are like mine say "use for both NG and LP." It makes it sound as if it doesn't matter. I've included a pic so you can see the orifice size difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Propane vs Natural Gas Hose (for grill)-img_20150407_162511578-360x640-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:05 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js2ss2 View Post
So I went to my local propane dealer and got a 10' hose to run from the stub directly to my grill.
My question is concerning (flared fittings) on the end that screws into the grill.
You have two female ends. A brass nipple of correct size/type might solve that.

Take your hose and the picture back to the propane supplier (not Lowes).
Ask them for the missing piece and whether you also need a pressure regulator.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:06 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,748,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You have two female ends. A brass nipple of correct size/type might solve that.

Take your hose and the picture back to the propane supplier (not Lowes).
Ask them for the missing piece and whether you also need a pressure regulator.
good point and post!

Old 04-09-2015, 08:20 AM

9,122 posts, read 14,664,501 times
The orifice you are talking about that is different is up inside the grill. Usually in the line going to the burners and it is smaller than the size of either hose. So, the hose size should not matter as long as they are sufficient for your total BTUs of the grill.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 21,998 times
I appreciate the feedback. Sherifftruman, my propane supplier confirmed yesterday exactly what you said. Thanks again all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House