U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 11:14 PM

38 posts, read 64,266 times

Advertisements

We just bought a house. And we have an indoor only cat. We have two closets next to the main bathroom, on either side. Would it be possible, easy, cheap, and/or a good idea to put the litter box in one of these two closets, with a cat door added to the closet door, and vent the cat's "bathroom" up to the outside of the house in the same place the nearby bathroom vents? Is this possible without the litterbox fumes leaking backwards into the bathroom?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 11:26 PM

18,700 posts, read 26,607,628 times
I haven't had a cat in a long time, but it seems to me that it shouldn't smell that bad, if the litter is cleaned often. I think I'd try setting it up without any venting at all at first and see how it goes.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:37 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,167,299 times
I agree. With today's 'clumping' litter, etc, litter smell should be pretty rare. IT DOES OCCUR - and gets one's attention quickly, but usually cleaning the litter box eliminates it (if you use clumping).

My cat has a very LARGE 'luxury' litter box - mud mixing tub from Lowe's - LOL -- but still - it needs cleaning a couple times a week - but only rarely smells.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:03 AM

41,823 posts, read 44,881,582 times
Is this one story house? Vent it right into the attic space above. You can't do that with bathroom or kitchen vents becsue you don't want all that moisture going into the attic space.

Cut a small hole in the ceiling with a louved vent you can adjust. It will draft naturally. You can also install a small constant run fan but probably not needed. If you really want to go crazy put a switch on the cat door and have the fan on a timer.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:54 AM

14,620 posts, read 55,090,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Vent it right into the attic space above. You can't do that with bathroom or kitchen vents becsue you don't want all that moisture going into the attic space.
DO NOT DO THIS!

You can not vent into an attic PERIOD! Just because its not a kitchen or bath doesn't mean you're NOT pumping moisture into the attic. Besides, it's not very energy efficient either.

Use clumping litter and be diligent about cleaning.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:41 AM

248 posts, read 270,942 times
Yes, do not vent into the attic! You don't want to be sending conditioned air up there...ask everyone in Massachusetts with the ice dam damage this year about keeping the attic as cold as possible in winter .

When we had cats, I had good luck with clumping litter and a regular routine. I kept a supply of plastic grocery bags and a scooper right next to the litter box. I had a 30 second chore before I left for work in the morning and after dinner that involved scooping pee clumps and poops into a bag and putting it out in the garbage can in the garage. I lined the box with a big plastic trash bag, so when the litter needed to be replaced altogether (usually only a couple of times a month if I kept up with the daily), all I had to do was turn the bag inside out and put the whole thing in the trash. Quick, easy, no mess and virtually no smell.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:13 AM

2,600 posts, read 7,202,536 times
You can add a vent and run the ducting through the attic and outside the home yourself.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:18 AM

2,600 posts, read 7,202,536 times
The fan will cost you around $27.43.

The ducting and clamps will cost you around $30.00.

The outside vent will costs you around $5.00.

The labor is yours !!!

Old 04-10-2015, 11:29 AM

41,823 posts, read 44,881,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You can not vent into an attic PERIOD! Just because its not a kitchen or bath doesn't mean you're NOT pumping moisture into the attic. Besides, it's not very energy efficient either.
Any moisture from a little air vent of "house" air is going to be irrelevant and it would be no more or less efficient than if it were vented outside. It's a nominal amount of air and if you get louvered vent like I suggested it can easily be controlled or even closed off in the winter.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:41 PM

4,761 posts, read 12,377,264 times
If you connect to the bathroom vent, the closet air will flow into the bathroom and the bathroom air will flow into the closet. You would need one-way valves/flaps on each before they connect. That would not allow air to flow backwards into either.

Also the vent from both connections would then need to be twice the size larger for when both fans are on at the same time.

Also you will need an intake air vent to the closet. Air can not go out if the closet is sealed!

Same with the house and bathroom, air needs to come into the house for air to be able to escape to the outside (if the bathroom vents to the outside). Open a window a crack, etc.

I should think it would be easier and less expensive to vent the closet fan to the outside through the wall or roof!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House