Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 03:53 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why do people care if other people like to use bleach? I swear, the need to have everyone agree with you about stuff like this has got to be a mental disorder. It's cleaning supplies, not politics. I don't care how people get their stuff clean and either should you.
That's like saying you don't care how the paper factory gets rid of its wastewater.

Of course, the household use of bleach is on a much, much smaller scale, but it still matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 04:21 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
So, soooo many people are now saying that bleach is a horrible thing to use to clean your home.

Many claim that vinegar + water + essential oil (optional) is just as good.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think I'll ever stop using bleach to clean my home.

It isn't like I drench everything in my home in bleach, but I do use diluted bleach to clean my bathroom and to sanitize my kitchen counter tops in the evenings.

Does anyone else feel like me...that certain parts of your home just aren't clean unless you use bleach?
I use bleach to pour down drains when I clean and inside the toilet. They can keep the vinegar+water+essential oil stuff.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:23 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,811,321 times
I use bleach when I wash a load of whites and that's it. I don't mind if you use bleach, honestly.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:47 PM

87 posts, read 167,415 times
I've typically used diluted bleach to clean up after handling raw meats. After a particularly nasty stomach virus that went through the majority of the family, I did research on what actually kills norovirus trying to get rid of it. Bleach and Lysol, that's pretty much it. And Lysol seems to leave some nasty chemicals behind. With bleach, once it dries it's really no longer toxic. So I have a new appreciation for bleach in handling killing those nasty bathroom viruses.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:34 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's like saying you don't care how the paper factory gets rid of its wastewater.

Of course, the household use of bleach is on a much, much smaller scale, but it still matters.
Care to explain this?

Household bleach solution breaks down rather quickly once it is used. It degrades into basically salt and water.

I spritz a dilute solution of bleach water on my counters, wipe, and let dry. No residue left over.
I also sometimes add bleach to my load of towels and whites in the washing machine. Clean smelling laundry with stains gone.
Toilet bowls get about an ounce of straight bleach, which is mixed with toilet bowl water and left to sit overnight while it does its thing.
The shower gets spritzed with Clorox Cleanup, wiped, and left to dry.

Paper factories have other chemicals...

Old 04-19-2015, 08:44 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
It probably takes me 5 years to go through the standard bottle of bleach. I rarely use it for cleaning, particularly not on granite counters (I use a food-safe sealer on granite and bleach will destroy the sealer).

"Sanitizing" is for hospitals, not homes. where hot water and soap are good enough for cleaning.

Don't get me started on those stupid "hand sanitizers" which don't do what most people think they do.
Some definitions:

What is the difference between disinfection, sanitation and sterilization? - eXtension

"Disinfection uses antimicrobial agents on non-living objects or surfaces to destroy or inactivate microorganisms. Disinfectants may not kill all bacteria, viruses, fungi and spores. Most disinfectants are weakened or inactivated by organic matter such as dirt and feces.

Sanitation uses an antimicrobial agent on objects, surfaces or living tissue to reduce the number of disease-causing organisms to non-threatening levels. Sanitizing does not affect some spores and viruses. A practical method of sanitizing hands is to wash them with soap under running hot water for at least 20 seconds.

Sterilization is using chemicals, temperature, gas and/or pressure to kill or inactivate all disease-causing bacteria, spores, fungi and viruses.

As you can see, sanitation with soap and water physically removes dirt and reduces the number of organisms. Those organisms will regrow. That is why you need to wash hands frequently, especially if they are visibly dirty.

Alcohol based hand rubs should not be used if the hands are visibly soiled. At times when you do not have easy access to soap and water, they provide a useful option. They do not kill some organisms, such as Norovirus and Clostridium Difficile, but fortunately contact with those is not a daily occurrence for most of us. Hospital staff will use a combination of washing and use of rubs.

For cleaning household surfaces, sanitation is again what we need. Disinfection is not needed every time you clean; plain soap and water is sufficient. For surfaces that come in contact with food, you can take it a step further, by disinfecting. As explained in this link, the difference may be in how long you leave the product on the surface you want to disinfect:

Dear TMH: How Do You Clean Your Home After Recovering From a Cold? | The Manly Housekeeper

"Most home cleaners can both sanitize and disinfect – it just depends on how long you let the cleaner sit on the dirty area. If it sits long enough, the area becomes disinfected. A couple things to keep in mind, however. The cleaner often needs to sit for significant lengths of time until a surface can be considered disinfected. Take the common Clorox or Lysol Disinfecting Wipes. A close study of the label reveals that a dirty countertop needs to remain “visibly wet†for 30 seconds until it is sanitized and 4 minutes until it is disinfected. If using the environmentally friendly Seventh Generation Disinfecting Wipes the area needs to sit visibly wet for 10 minutes until the area is considered disinfected. The best part about those wipes is that they don’t leave too much liquid behind and counters dry quickly. This means you aren’t disinfecting anything.

This isn’t just disposable wipes. Counters wiped with a bleach solution (1 cup bleach in 1 gallon of water) need to stand visibly wet for 5 minutes until considered disinfected."

From the CDC:

How To Clean and Disinfect Schools To Help Slow the Spread of Flu | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

"Always follow label directions on cleaning products and disinfectants. Wash surfaces with a general household cleaner to remove germs. Rinse with water, and follow with an EPA-registered disinfectant to kill germs. Read the label to make sure it states that EPA has approved the product for effectiveness against influenza A virus.

If an EPA-registered disinfectant is not available, use a fresh chlorine bleach solution. To make and use the solution:

Add 1 tablespoon of bleach to 1 quart (4 cups) of water. For a larger supply of disinfectant, add ¼ cup of bleach to 1 gallon (16 cups) of water.
Apply the solution to the surface with a cloth.
Let it stand for 3 to 5 minutes.
Rinse the surface with clean water."

For those who prefer vinegar or other natural products:

Commercial Disinfectants Protect Best Against Disease

"For people seeking the best protection against disease-causing organisms in home kitchens and bathrooms, commercial disinfectants do a better job at eliminating them than do natural, environmentally friendly products. According to research in the North Carolina Statewide Program for Infection Control and Epidemiology (NC-SPICE), the commercial disinfectants tested killed 99.9% of bugs, including Salmonella, Escherichia coli(E. coli), and vancomycin-resistant Enterococci (VRE). The natural products eliminated only 90% of the bugs.

'We found the natural products were far less effective than commercial household disinfectants,' lead researcher William A. Rutala, MD, tells WebMD."

Vinegar is not as effective as bleach. Commercial products contain ingredients to help remove dirt and disinfect at the same time. Bleach is a cheap alternative. Just be sure that if you are looking for disinfection you leave the product on the surface long enough to accomplish that.

There is seldom a need to sterilize anything in your home. It is not possible to sterilize the environment anyway. Even operating rooms are not sterilized. They are disinfected. Instruments used during surgery are sterilized. In the home, canning jars are perhaps one exception. If your water is chlorinated, you may wash baby bottles and nipples by hand in hot soapy water. If the water is not chlorinated, you may use the dishwasher or boil them on the stove top.

https://patienteducation.osumc.edu/d...s/steriliz.pdf

If someone in the family is ill, use of a "sick room" can help confine contaminated items like soiled tissues and keep them from being spread all over the house. Dishes go in the dishwasher with the rest of the load, and linens can be washed in hot water. Disinfect hard surfaces and the bathroom daily.

There is no reason to avoid bleach.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:47 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
To those who are surprised that people don't like to use bleach anymore -- so was I!! My mom always used bleach to clean the house. I've always used it. A friend recently told me that it's terrible to use bleach, and I've since seen and heard about it everywhere.

I love the way that bleach smells. Again, I don't splash full-strength bleach all over my house. I dilute it with lots of water and use it to clean my bathrooms and my kitchen counters. I worked in restaurants for years when I was younger, and we HAD to use bleach to clean tabletops and everything else. The place would have been shut down if we would have used vinegar and water, I can guarantee you that!

Oh, please. I played in the woods and mud plenty when I was a child, but that doesn't mean that I don't want my kitchen to be clean!

Yup! The satisfying smell of bleach and the look of a sparkling bathroom are quite satisfying to me.

Yup. I find it shocking to hear that someone has "never" heard of bleach being used for cleaning.

I can't stand the smell of vinegar, but I love the smell of bleach! And yes, I do dilute bleach, and assume that pretty much everyone who cleans with it does.
That^^.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:16 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,856,746 times
I use bleach to clean out tea and coffee stains out of pitchers. While baking soda will work on some things, bleach is about the only thing that gets tea stains out of my Mr. Coffee iced tea maker pitcher. It also works the best on the white sinks as well. I use it sparingly and need to be careful. Have ruined a few t-shirts with it slopping over . Now , I always wear a long apron for protection. A little goes a long way.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:44 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
I use bleach for everything: bathroom, kitchen, washing whites, sanitizing everything...and will continue to do so. Love it!

Old 04-20-2015, 01:22 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
I often clean with bleach and I see nothing wrong with it. I use a 1:10 dilution usually in a spray bottle. I spray and go away to let it do it's magic. I come back when it's done. And I'm not a germ-o-phobe either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House