Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 08:34 PM

55 posts, read 118,142 times

Advertisements

So we purchased a house in East Long Beach, CA. Previous owners have stayed for 30 years and did the remodeling in 2011. However, they left the galvanized pipes and 2 of the bathrooms alone. Only the kitchen and 1 bathroom were updated.

My questions are:

1. I got a quote of 7.5K. I'm planning to get another quote. Is it a fair quote?
2. What should I look for? L copper is more superior than M copper?
3. Can I wait to re-pipe? I wanna save more $$$ so I can remodel the bathrooms at the same time.
4. Anything else I need to know?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 10:08 PM

17,700 posts, read 29,771,867 times
Have you considered PEX?

Old 04-21-2015, 10:29 PM

17,467 posts, read 65,954,251 times
Well, if we ALL KNEW what $7.5k covered you might actually get some feedback.

However, the only way you'll know for sure if that price (whatever it covers) is a competitive price is to get SEVERAL other bids. Just make sure you're comparing apples-to-apples. Just because one company says "blah", doesn't mean another company is saying "blah" also.

The "remodeling" won't be a critical issue IF everything is staying in its original position. But, if your moving things around- sink(s), toilet, tub to different areas then yes, it makes more sense to wait.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:38 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,617,946 times
First it would depend on what code allows as far as options.

Copper is a commodity and there have been times when the price changed daily.

I like L and K... M is thin and doesn't fair so well with the water here.

L is much heavier and for the same labor.

I use K quite a lot where I work... would cost a fortune for a home and never seen it.

Just want to point out there are several varieties to choose.

I still have galvanized at some locations from the 1920's and no intention to replace... the water there is better and just about all the homes have the original piping... at least until an area is remodeled.

Are you having problems with the existing pipe?

Old 04-22-2015, 09:52 PM

422 posts, read 573,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
First it would depend on what code allows as far as options.

Copper is a commodity and there have been times when the price changed daily.

I like L and K... M is thin and doesn't fair so well with the water here.

L is much heavier and for the same labor.

I use K quite a lot where I work... would cost a fortune for a home and never seen it.

Just want to point out there are several varieties to choose.

I still have galvanized at some locations from the 1920's and no intention to replace... the water there is better and just about all the homes have the original piping... at least until an area is remodeled.

Are you having problems with the existing pipe?
I'm curious about this myself. Galvanized is only supposed to last 50 years. When it fails is it usually a pinhole leak or a geyser? I could stand to replace some too just like the op, but it's hard knowing if it has a month or 40 years left in it.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:57 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,297,461 times
I have done ONE complete repipe with copper. NEVER AGAIN. I have done 100's of repipes with PEX. No problem. PEX is superior and WAY easier to work with. I'd go PEX and get that price it in half.
-some random guy who has spent too much time crawling under homes repiping them.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:18 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,617,946 times
Only problem with PEX in my area is that PEX is forbidden... just like plastic ABS DWV pipe above ground.

Leaks in above ground galvanized is very rare here... even with pipe originally installed in the 1920's.

What can happen is scale buildup that reduces the inside diameter enough to reduce flow...

I have had several pinhole leaks with type M copper installed circa 1960... so who really knows?

Old 04-23-2015, 05:23 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,277,860 times
I lived in Long Beach (Conant & Los Coyotes area) until I moved to Knoxville in 94. We re-piped our house in 92. We had many rust blisters, and some leaks, and when I looked at the old pipes, they were almost completely closed off from rust. You are probably way over due. We also replaced the line from the water meter to the house, it was shot as well.
If I was going to do it over again, I would use PEX instead of copper. A lot less work, and a lot less material cost than copper. $7.5K seems very high, unless they are doing a lot of other work too like the main line, and replacing the old cast iron waste pipes.
I would get several quotes.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:38 AM

671 posts, read 889,368 times
Copper pipe is a good product,,but PEX is far superior and not just because it's cheaper. You should read up on the differences. I recently did a one story with an unfinished basement 3 bed room kitchen and 2 1/2 baths with clothing and dish washer...The cost for labour was two men one day....Total cost was less than $2,000 that was a complete supply replacement. No work was needed on pvc waste lines in place....
Experienced plumbers know the tricks needed to snake the walls without needing plastering and tile replacement.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:40 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,273,548 times
What is wrong with the galvanized pipes? (If it works, don't fix it!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House