Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 05:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

I think I have some cat hair and some bird seed on my kitchen floor. Not connected in any way, though the cat does get hours of entertainment from watching the birds on the feeder just outside the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 06:04 PM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times
What came with the house that we bought 3 years ago - 30 year old sheet vinyl that appears to be indestructible. It's white with mauve accents. Ugly 80s colors.

Our house was built in the 1920s. We have a 50s kitchen with grayish soap stone counter tops and an off white subway tile back splash.

I had hardwood floors in my "Mc Mansion" - that was another thing I didn't like about the Mc.

We want to replace the floor - but we aren't sure what to do it with.

Thinking slate, or old fashioned linoleum.

Open to suggestions.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:15 PM

466 posts, read 643,854 times
Hardwood. And I hate it. But it's an open concept house with hardwood throughout the first floor. There is no way it can be changed.

I grew up with tile. A good quality tile will not easily chip. I don't care if water spills on it.
And it's easier to clean - you can mop it every night if you want to.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:47 PM

71 posts, read 146,561 times
I have hardwood - I love it -put it everywhere except for 2 bedrooms and the baths. My house is 1250 square feet and pretty open so it helps to unify the space. I think in the kitchen it also depends on cabinet color, and If you would want contrast between the 2 or more of a similar color. There are so many cool options for flooring now.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:15 PM

92 posts, read 113,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
We put down black handscraped bamboo in late 2012. Other than showing every speck of dirt, we love it. We Swiffer and use our Neato robot vacuum regularly, and our house cleaner does a thorough mop every other week.

Floors are holding pretty really well despite lots of spills over the past few years. We do have some scratches from our stools around the bar counter, but we have a black wood pen on hand to mark those out when they get really bad (which is rare).

When we do our master bath remodel in the next couple of years I'm going to use the tile flooring that looks like wood, and put in radiant heat floors. Can't wait!
I love the tile flooring that looks like wood!

We went with a product called Floorte throughout our first floor (incl kitchen & baths) which are vinyl tiles that look like wood. We were surprised when we investigated samples in the flooring warehouse that it was a vinyl product bc it has a scraped feel, looks very good & was a great price

Old 05-01-2015, 05:45 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What came with the house that we bought 3 years ago - 30 year old sheet vinyl that appears to be indestructible. It's white with mauve accents. Ugly 80s colors.

Our house was built in the 1920s. We have a 50s kitchen with grayish soap stone counter tops and an off white subway tile back splash.

I had hardwood floors in my "Mc Mansion" - that was another thing I didn't like about the Mc.

We want to replace the floor - but we aren't sure what to do it with.

Thinking slate, or old fashioned linoleum.

Open to suggestions.
We had to remove a bad tile job the previous owners either put in or had put in. We debated the different options, all of which could only be found in some shade of brown, black, or white. We ended going with old fashioned VCT tiles in a checkboard pattern. So far we love it. It is so much easier on the backs and legs, plus I love that we have color besides tan, beige, brown, or grey.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:59 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times
I love my cheap vinyl kitchen floor. Super low maintenance. Much less likely to cause damage to dropped items than tile. Extremely easy to clean and very durable.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:50 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Cat fur, toast crumbs, probably some mud, m a piece poor two of minced onion ...

Old 05-02-2015, 11:25 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Laminate -- it's the ONLY way to go!

Ha ha, just kidding.

I had beautiful new hardwood laid in a townhouse and it was great until the dishwasher overflowed -- twice. Luckily, I caught it right away, soaked it up with towels and put a fan on it. It did warp initially and I was sick, but after a couple days it went back to normal. Not something I'd want to chance again, though.

Last house, I re-did the kitchen and wanted something indestructible for my dogs' nails as well as something that wouldn't show all the dirt they track in from outside. I got an Italian porcelain color-body tile in a brownish leather-look color and I used dark grout. It was expensive but worth it -- NOTHING showed on that floor.

I'm now in a FL condo and just put in Pergo Max laminate planks in a color called Coastal Pine (shades of gray, beige, white). Good choice, as it doesn't look "laminate-y" and doesn't show dirt either -- except, I didn't realize laminate is not supposed to get wet. The installer told me not to even put the dogs' water bowls on it, since they drip water as they're walking away. Well, peachy, because guess what overflowed again? Again, I toweled it up, did the fan thing and it didn't warp, but this is nerve-wracking! I didn't want to do tile because it's hard on my feet/back and also the rooms kind of flow into each other so I wanted to use the same flooring throughout. Anyway, as far as mopping/washing the laminate, you're only supposed to use special laminate cleaners that are designed to evaporate quickly.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:27 PM

332 posts, read 498,448 times
Hardwood.......and lots of labrador hair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House