Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,424 times

Advertisements

Above is a picture of my house that myself and my wife have owned for close to 2 years now. We have been working on it piece by piece. Unfortunately or fortunately we incurred a large hailstorm and are having the roof, gutters, fascia replaced and 1/2 of the house is covered for repainting as well as painting of the fascia and gutters. We would like to move on from the white paint color and add some warmth to the exterior of the house. only the front of the house has brick, the rest is lapped wood siding. From looking at On my way! pictures we have become a fan of either a grey-tan or sage green siding with a cream trim color. I will case the columns using medium stained wood. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions of colors to work with that goal or brick color, becuase that is one thing we cannot change. I'd like to decide on this before moving on to the roof as I would have to decide on the roof shingle color from here.

Thank you for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 09:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
May not work in your area as colors tend to change for what is popular. Might consider a dark blood red on the facia, a golden tan for the soffit and around windows and siding. Columns could be black as well as the front door.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:25 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
I also own a red brick house and, like you, have been working on it piece by piece (nearly finished inside, have already started outside) and we've done a lot of research on paints for our 1930 Tudor Revival (this is a before, as in before we even bought it/as a vacant foreclosure):

Anyway, apparently white/cream/light colors are some of the worst for brick houses. So we've opted for a dark green, it goes with the shingles we will eventually put on the house, and the test section (still need to strip and prep everything) really made for a dramatic effect that actually brought out way more detail than the light color does.

Do a google image search for brick houses with different trim colors. See if you can find something you like, not to mention something that coordinates with the shingles/roofing you'll be putting using. Personally, I think it looks stunning:

We've been watching for this in person now too, and while rare, it looks SO much better than light colors it's not even funny.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
The color samples you see in stores are NOT the same when you paint them on!

So... Drive around and find a house with colors you like, then get paint color sample cards and walk up to the house and match the color with the sample. You will be amazed at how different the color actually is up close!

Old 04-27-2015, 08:44 AM

27 posts, read 44,843 times
Last month i have researced about color matching for my house and maybe this link give you more ideas Wall Color Matching Home Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel and Decor

Old 04-28-2015, 11:27 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Here are some from Buffalo, NY where colorful homes, even brick ones, have become quite popular:

Not a brick house, but the red is similar to your bricks:

The red brick house in the back might be useful:

As I said, colorful is popular in Buffalo:

I have a lot of pics of colorful houses (and gardens) here if you want to see some other, non-brick, color schemes: Buffalo Garden Walks 2008-2014

Old 04-28-2015, 07:39 PM

418 posts, read 727,922 times
ooh, that blue one three up from the bottom is really striking! OP, I think sage green would also look nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House