Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 09:00 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,701,855 times

Advertisements

I did some yardwork this past weekend and notice that there is a void under the concrete slab my heat pump sits on. It's in an area where you can't see it with normal use of the yard, so I never noticed it until I went to do some work in that area.

I need to fix it and am trying to figure out the best way. I think maybe filling it in with some fill dirt (it's a pretty big hole--so deep that I can see the buried cable (as in internet and TV) wire exposed) and then foam jacking the rest might be the route to take, but I wondered if anyone had any other ideas. I am just trying to piece together how to fix it by finding what I can find online.

Also, I can't figure out why that area is eroded away in the first place and I need to fix that as well. It's up against the house and near the drain spout, but I have plastic tubing from the drain spout to the fence line so the water shouldn't be draining in that area (unless the damage was caused by water from tropical storms/other large storms we've had in this area in the past couple of years that the gutters and spouts couldn't handle... I confess, I haven't been in that area for a couple of years because I didn't mulch around the until for a couple of years). The gutters are clean by the way (do that every year).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 09:06 AM

22,554 posts, read 47,605,466 times
We had the same sort of damage... from chipmunks.
We hired a local company that pumped a slurry underneath the slab.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
We had the same sort of damage... from chipmunks.
We hired a local company that pumped a slurry underneath the slab.
As sore as I am from all the yardwork this weekend, I am tempted by this option. What kind of company does this? A concrete company I would assume.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:22 PM

17,469 posts, read 65,994,520 times
I don't think "mud-jacking" is worthy in this particular scenario.

HP/condensers sit on a relatively small concrete pad- just dig it out enough so you can pack it full of dirt. Then look at the immediate topo around the area; is it pitched away from the house? If not, this needs to be corrected.

Since you can see the buried cables inside the void, its a pretty safe bet that the "hole" is actually the trench that was dug for the utilities. It is pretty common since the dirt just gets "pushed" back over the trench and not "packed" into the trench.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I don't think "mud-jacking" is worthy in this particular scenario.

HP/condensers sit on a relatively small concrete pad- just dig it out enough so you can pack it full of dirt. Then look at the immediate topo around the area; is it pitched away from the house? If not, this needs to be corrected.

Since you can see the buried cables inside the void, its a pretty safe bet that the "hole" is actually the trench that was dug for the utilities. It is pretty common since the dirt just gets "pushed" back over the trench and not "packed" into the trench.
Thanks. I know little to nothing about this kind of repair. Give me a plumbing issue, small electrical fix, anything like that inside the house any day of the week, but when it comes to the outside drainage and such, I am not civil engineer. I only noticed it this week because part of my yardwork was repairing pavers that were also loose and wiggly from erosion.

It is a small concrete pad and I think you are exactly right that it's the trench the wires were buried in. The odd thing is, that trench is pretty old (I've lived in this house five years and they were there when the previous owners had the place). But we did get some bad storms in that time including a couple of hurricanes.

There is a slope to the yard, leading away from the house. So things drain properly in that regard. But I remember in those bad storms there was too much water to drain properly.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:05 AM

17,469 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Just keep this in mind-

An Easy Way to Save Money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House